Around the NHL 2024/25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Two very big personnel losses in the offseason - Rick Bowness and Brenden Dillon. Toffoli and Monahan didn't improve the team. Brossoit was great and deserves the bigger contract and larger role that he is getting Chicago. He will be missed, but a backup playing ~20 games is not going to have a huge impact on your season. I see a measurable step backwards for this team this year - back to playoff bubble team I fear. Hope I am wrong

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Two very big personnel losses in the offseason - Rick Bowness and Brenden Dillon. Toffoli and Monahan didn't improve the team. Brossoit was great and deserves the bigger contract and larger role that he is getting Chicago. He will be missed, but a backup playing ~20 games is not going to have a huge impact on your season. I see a measurable step backwards for this team this year - back to playoff bubble team I fear. Hope I am wrong
Do you really think Dillon and Bones moves the team back that far? In a bubble I'd like to have kept Dillon, but at $4 M AAV he is being paid at the top of his veteran pay scale. But internally we have Samberg ready to move into the # 2 LHD position, and the team really needs to know what they have there as he is a pending RFA with Arb rights. He will be in a position to sign his long term contract and the organization needs to get that right. Heinola then needs an opportunity to step into the # 3 LHD role, assuming he beats out out Stanley, which I think is very likely.

At coach, to be honest I'm glad Bones has retired. He brought nice defensive structure to the team, but he is old school to a fault and was a block to the next wave of prospects taking on more important roles. At least at this point I remain optimistic the Arniel is much more open to this. I see us as a team, that might take a small step back in the regular season, but better positioned to compete in the playoffs, assuming internal growth by our young players.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Do you really think Dillon and Bones moves the team back that far? In a bubble I'd like to have kept Dillon, but at $4 M AAV he is being paid at the top of his veteran pay scale. But internally we have Samberg ready to move into the # 2 LHD position, and the team really needs to know what they have there as he is a pending RFA with Arb rights. He will be in a position to sign his long term contract and the organization needs to get that right. Heinola then needs an opportunity to step into the # 3 LHD role, assuming he beats out out Stanley, which I think is very likely.

At coach, to be honest I'm glad Bones has retired. He brought nice defensive structure to the team, but he is old school to a fault and was a block to the next wave of prospects taking on more important roles. At least at this point I remain optimistic the Arniel is much more open to this. I see us as a team, that might take a small step back in the regular season, but better positioned to compete in the playoffs, assuming internal growth by our young players.

Also Bones went 2 and 8 for us in the playoffs. Hardly anything to write home about.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Also Bones went 2 and 8 for us in the playoffs. Hardly anything to write home about.
I'm ready to see what Arniel does as coach. I don't buy into the arguments he will be a Bones clone and just carry on. Human nature is such, that the under study given the lead role, more often than not wants to break out of the previous mold and carve out their own path. I'm expecting/hoping we see this with Arniel.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm ready to see what Arniel does as coach. I don't buy into the arguments he will be a Bones clone and just carry on. Human nature is such, that the under study given the lead role, more often than not wants to break out of the previous mold and carve out their own path. I'm expecting/hoping we see this with Arniel.

Of course, he will want to do things his own way. He's already stated he wants more offense and speed. So that right there hints at a different mindset.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Of course, he will want to do things his own way. He's already stated he wants more offense and speed. So that right there hints at a different mindset.
I also think he will have a much better relationship with the young players. We have already seen this over the summer with Perfetti. I expect/hope it carries on with the other young players.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I also think he will have a much better relationship with the young players. We have already seen this over the summer with Perfetti. I expect/hope it carries on with the other young players.

I would hope that the org realizes they are at an inflection point and need to get Perfetti, Snerg, Lambert, Ville integrated to key pieces if they want to keep this wagon in the playoffs and as such have made youth integration a priority for Scott.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would hope that the org realizes they are at an inflection point and need to get Perfetti, Snerg, Lambert, Ville integrated to key pieces if they want to keep this wagon in the playoffs and as such have made youth integration a priority for Scott.
Agreed 100%. Last season was the all vets on board last kick at the cat. We now have young players ready to take on more important roles, and prospects ready to push into the lineup. If we are every truly to compete we have to join the future wave with the present core like we briefly did in 2018.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I don't think Bones was blocking anyone - took the team to 4th over all and it's hard to complain about how he handled the roster with those results.
We do need to start integrating our youth but that's more about timing - and we finally have a few prospects that look to be ready (Ville would have possibly played LY w/o the injury).
This org is looking at making the PO's as the point of success and a lot of their decisions are based on that - and I don't believe the coach is making all those decisions.
I also look forward to seeing a youth movement - it's long over due. But honestly, we haven't had a ton of prospects that would have made a lot of sense unless we no longer are looking at the point of success mentioned above. Ville would have played - Bones mentioned that. As for Perfetti, he was playing top 6 minutes until he struggled - I don't blame old school coaching for that. Who else should have been integrated LY but was held back by Bones?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think Bones was blocking anyone - took the team to 4th over all and it's hard to complain about how he handled the roster with those results.
We do need to start integrating our youth but that's more about timing - and we finally have a few prospects that look to be ready (Ville would have possibly played LY w/o the injury).
This org is looking at making the PO's as the point of success and a lot of their decisions are based on that - and I don't believe the coach is making all those decisions.
I also look forward to seeing a youth movement - it's long over due. But honestly, we haven't had a ton of prospects that would have made a lot of sense unless we no longer are looking at the point of success mentioned above. Ville would have played - Bones mentioned that. As for Perfetti, he was playing top 6 minutes until he struggled - I don't blame old school coaching for that. Who else should have been integrated LY but was held back by Bones?

I mean his results were largely based on the goaltending. His metrics were middling much like they were the year prior and his special teams were poor I'm both years.

What happened is the team git by far the best goaltending in the league last year. It made an average performing team finish great. The year prior with slightly above average tending with similar metrics and we are fighting for the playoffs.

He fixed the room and taught the team to play solod d, so good on him for that, but he was hardly elite and left a lot to be desired especially in the playoffs where is 2 and 8 record is atrocious.

Reactions: Bigfish

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I was with you right up to your last sentence. I see a certain step back in the regular season and it won't be small. Don't know that internal growth will have any effect on the PO or not. Coaching might. Pride might and embarrassment from last season might.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I mean his results were largely based on the goaltending. His metrics were middling much like they were the year prior and his special teams were poor I'm both years.

What happened is the team git by far the best goaltending in the league last year. It made an average performing team finish great. The year prior with slightly above average tending with similar metrics and we are fighting for the playoffs.

He fixed the room and taught the team to play solod d, so good on him for that, but he was hardly elite and left a lot to be desired especially in the playoffs where is 2 and 8 record is atrocious.
You can blame coaching every time when you use this tactic -

How about the poor PO record? No mention of goaltending there.

So, goaltending is the reason we do well in the reg season and poor coaching is why we do poorly in the PO's

Got it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You can blame coaching every time when you use this tactic -

How about the poor PO record? No mention of goaltending there.

So, goaltending is the reason we do well in the reg season and poor coaching is why we do poorly in the PO's

Got it.

I believe I have been pretty consistent in saying Helle was awful this past playoffs. Doesn't change the fact that Bones elected to ice a slow immobile team against a high octane speed team and we got played into the ground. I believe that further leads to my point that goaltending largely drove the results for good and for bad.

Listen I think Bones is an average coach that got average results from an average team in all situations save the pp but it was our goaltenders going supernova that pushed us from a low seeded playoff team to a top 5 team and when that went away the wheels fell off.

Reactions: Bigfish

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I believe I have been pretty consistent in saying Helle was awful this past playoffs. Doesn't change the fact that Bones elected to ice a slow immobile team against a high octane speed team and we got played into the ground. I believe that further leads to my point that goaltending largely drove the results for good and for bad.

Listen I think Bones is an average coach that got average results from an average team in all situations save the pp but it was our goaltenders going supernova that pushed us from a low seeded playoff team to a top 5 team and when that went away the wheels fell off.
What was the Jets line up that pummeled the Avs 7-0 a week before the playoffs that had this forum buzzing?

Was Bowness the one who traded for monahan and toffoli? Or keep bringing back Stanley? Signed Pionk?

Ah right, the hf equation that absolves Chevy of anything. Bad moves = blame coach or the owner.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

But you made no mention of Helle's poor PO performance in the post I was responding to - sounded like Bones was taking all the blame - so I guess you weren't that consistent in calling out Helle.
Bones did a really nice job of pulling this team together - I don't have any more time for fans that want to shit on his efforts - especially after he's gone.
Over and out.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

People said this about Maurice too and now he has a Stanley Cup . Not saying Bowness maybe didn't make good in game adjustments in the playoffs but he coached the Jets to their highest finish ever in the regular season last year, nothing to sniff at.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I assume Scott will not want the vets turning on him so let’s see if he can sell his vision.

Notwithstanding a phenomenal Vezina season from Bucky there is one stat line that really made us last season and allowed us to finish 4th OA.

Laurent Brossoit G 25 W 15 L 5 T 2 save % of .927

Holy f*** that is amazing. He had 15 wins Helle Had 37 Wins so Laurent was way way more important to our 4th OA finish than anyone is talking about. This category alone will most likely cost us 10 points in the standings. He generated 32 points in 23 games from our back up last season and we will be lucky if our back up generates 23 points in 23 games this season and they will most likely be sub .910 save %.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
People said this about Maurice too and now he has a Stanley Cup . Not saying Bowness maybe didn't make good in game adjustments in the playoffs but he coached the Jets to their highest finish ever in the regular season last year, nothing to sniff at.
I was anti Maurice at the end... but how this core can look themselves in the mirror after the coach that they literally drove to quit wins a cup is beyond me - that should be motivation enough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad