Around the NHL 2024/25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
No, that's not creepy at all.
I guess the difference is I was making a joke about an imaginary scenario and imaginary people.

Probably a slight difference between that and a senior citizen hitting on a real 20's woman.

But what do I know? I do understand straight guys get super weird when they are objectified by other men. Mostly because they secretly like it because women rarely pay that level of attention to them :m-wink:

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I guess the difference is I was making a joke about an imaginary scenario and imaginary people.

Probably a slight difference between that and a senior citizen hitting on a real 20's woman.

But what do I know? I do understand straight guys get super weird when they are objectified by other men. Mostly because they secretly like it because women rarely pay that level of attention to them :m-wink:
You go right on telling yourself that.

When you're not thinking about urinal troughs and eating hot dogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: WolfHouse

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
In my early twenties I spent 4 days in Mykonos. At the time I didnt know its a gay mans holiday destination. The first night I was flattered from the attention, by the 3rd night I questioned my treatment of women.

Last edited:

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
In my early twenties I spent 4 days in Mykonos. At the time I didnt know its a gay mans holiday destination. The first night I was flattered, by the 3rd night I questioned my treatment of women.
Yeah, we loved Mykonos way back when. I got a bad sunburn on one side and repeated "I told you so" looks from my wife because I'd turned down her offer to apply suntan lotion. Fabulous place, though. We spent a few days walking all over Chora and never met a single grumpy person.

Reactions: Aggie204

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Are we done yet? :laugh:

Can anyone here help me understand the Seth Jarvis deferred money contract?
How can this be legal under the cap?
If it is legal, why isn't everybody doing it all the time for a much bigger piece of the contract?

Reactions: WolfHouse

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

If it is legal, why isn't everybody doing it all the time for a much bigger piece of the contract?

From my understanding, most players want their money up front. So those types of contracts are rare.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Here's a very naive explanation...

The deferral isn't a direct deferral of cap hit to the end of the contract, but the deferred amount is calculated in relation to the discounted value of the future money, which is based on interest rates. So, the $15M that's deferred is worth less in the 9th year than it is now, and that difference in present value is adjusted against the cap hit.

There's a good explanation by Puckpedia here... https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/de...errals were paid,actual cap hit of $7,420,087

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
From my understanding, most players want their money up front. So those types of contracts are rare.

With cap pressure being what it is teams might be willing to pay quite a bit more in total if they can defer a large part of it until after the contract expires. Especially since the GMs probably don't expect to be the ones who have to deal with the deferred payments.

Are these types of contract rare, or is this one unique? I can't recall hearing of any since they closed of the very long contracts. Suter and Parise were signed for 13 years each in 2012. That was the old way of doing exactly the same thing. It wasn't all that rare. I thought the 8/7 year contract limits had put an end to that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The deferral isn't a direct deferral of cap hit to the end of the contract, but the deferred amount is calculated in relation to the discounted value of the future money, which is based on interest rates. So, the $15M that's deferred is worth less in the 9th year than it is now, and that difference in present value is adjusted against the cap hit.

There's a good explanation by Puckpedia here... https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/deferred#:~:text=All the deferrals were paid,actual cap hit of $7,420,087

If the cap is to make any sense then deferring payment shouldn't affect the cap hit. Defer x mil for a year? That amount is still divided by the term of the contract and added to the AAV. Then they can defer to their hearts content.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Are these types of contract rare, or is this one unique? I can't recall hearing of any since they closed of the very long contracts. Suter and Parise were signed for 13 years each in 2012. That was the old way of doing exactly the same thing. It wasn't all that rare. I thought the 8/7 year contract limits had put an end to that.

Honestly, I don't know. I remember reading someplace that these types are generally rare. It was an article discussing the Jarvis extension. From what I know, they are allowed by the CBA, but both parties have to agree. Most players want signing bonuses up front, presumably to have an influx of cash now. Either to spend immediately or to have investors invest it for them.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If the cap is to make any sense then deferring payment shouldn't affect the cap hit. Defer x mil for a year? That amount is still divided by the term of the contract and added to the AAV. Then they can defer to their hearts content.
Part of the reason it works better for the cap now is the relatively high interest rates. It decreases the relative value of deferred payments. If interest rates come down, the cap savings will diminish.

Basically, the player is agreeing to lower compensation through this salary deferment, so that gets reflected in the cap calculation. The player takes a hit for the team, just like players that sign team-friendly deals without deferred compensation.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Saw O’Dog on TSN yesterday
The guy looks fantastic,I’d say at least 60 pounds off and he doesn’t look sickly.
Very impressive
My god he was fat. Watching him do that sprint in the parking lot must have been a wake up call for him.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012

There's a good explanation by Puckpedia here... https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/deferred#:~:text=All the deferrals were paid,actual cap hit of $7,420,087
So these jackass players whine about escrow after they continually use the escalator. Now they will start using this payment deferral that also adds to escrow. Well if it isn't the consequences of my actions once again.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
In my early twenties I spent 4 days in Mykonos. At the time I didnt know its a gay mans holiday destination. The first night I was flattered from the attention, by the 3rd night I questioned my treatment of women.

Thats an actually very much undervalued experience. Every "ladiesguy" should spent a couple of evenings in a hard gay flirt environment, let's you see the entire "girl hunting" thing and what you thought would be totally normal and okay as part of the "game" in a whole different light.

Not criticizing gay men here, the nice thing in their bubble is everyone knows and can handle it because they all speak the same language but If you, as an hetero outsider, end up being that target and you don't want to be approached too closely, you suddenly realize things.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Thats an actually very much undervalued experience. Every "ladiesguy" should spent a couple of evenings in a hard gay flirt environment, let's you see the entire "girl hunting" thing and what you thought would be totally normal and okay as part of the "game" in a whole different light.

Not criticizing gay men here, the nice thing in their bubble is everyone knows and can handle it because they all speak the same language but If you, as an hetero outsider, end up being that target and you don't want to be approached too closely, you suddenly realize things.
Unfortunately some people do not have the self awareness to see the issue if they were put in the same situation.

A few things this monday morning, Toronto’s PWHL name is kinda lame. And today the Gaudreau brothers are laid to rest. RIP Johnny and Matthew.

• Wow
Reactions: Snot Rocket and Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad