Around the NHL 2024-25 regular season

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Always fun to hear how players pronounce their own names and whether I've been saying it wrong for years. Going back, I remember Stephane Fiset telling the announcers that the had been saying his last name incorrectly for close to a decade; Announcers had been saying Fee-set instead of Fee-say.
I had to listen to the the game on Saturday and Matt Laughlin was calling Levi "levee" until like midway through the third.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Blues just came back from 4-1 deficit to defeat the Sharks (Devils West?), 5-4 in OT.

Didn't realize Claude Julien was still coaching and is on the Blues' bench as an assistant.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Blues just came back from 4-1 deficit to defeat the Sharks (Devils West?), 5-4 in OT.

Didn't realize Claude Julien was still coaching and is on the Blues' bench as an assistant.
He was only just hired this offseason. This is his first year of coaching in the league since he was fired as head coach of the Canadiens three seasons ago.

I figured at his age he was probably done after not taking any jobs the last 3.5 years. I'm going to imagine that maybe his contract as head coach of the Canadiens finally expired after last season, then he came back looking for work.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019

This is one for @Bleedred :

Saw on Twitter/X that Mackenzie Blackwood is the first goaltender in NHL history to blow a 4-1 lead and lose after regulation in a first-overall draft pick’s debut game for two different franchises.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is one for @Bleedred :

Saw on Twitter/X that Mackenzie Blackwood is the first goaltender in NHL history to blow a 4-1 lead and lose after regulation in a first-overall draft pick’s debut game for two different franchises.
That stuff play goal (I think it was in the 3rd?) was pathetic. And the OT winner was a stoppable goal.

#AskingforAskarov

It’s hilarious that the two former deadweight Devils goalies are there right now, with Askarov down the hall in the AHL.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That stuff play goal (I think it was in the 3rd?) was pathetic. And the OT winner was a stoppable goal.

#AskingforAskarov

It’s hilarious that the two former deadweight Devils goalies are there right now, with Askarov down the hall in the AHL.
After that last game by Markstrom it’s time they reacquured Blackwood. #bringhimhome

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
IMG_9720.jpeg

Now that he’s retired as the Bruins announcer Jack Edwards has to go to Reddit to make his homer complaints.

This is hilarious.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’ve been ignoring the Islanders, because they’re the Islanders, but is 36 year old Varlamov is their starter this year? I thought that was going to stop at some point lol.

Sorokin’s 8 year/8.25m deal starts this season.

IMG_9721.jpeg

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I’ve been ignoring the Islanders, because they’re the Islanders, but is 36 year old Varlamov is their starter this year? I thought that was going to stop at some point lol.

Sorokin’s 8 year/8.25m deal starts this season.

View attachment 916047
Sorokin is working his way back from off-season surgery.

Edit: Now realizing you may have been making fun of this. I didn't realize that the recovery amorphous.

Sorokin was only expected to miss the first few days of camp, per Lamoriello, but the timeline changed. He missed an entire week of training camp, returning to practice Oct. 3, and did not play in any of the six preseason games.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe the greatest one hit wonder goalie since the Hamburglar.

They’re the f***in stupid goofballs who played him in the season opener. I’m not at all surprised he was on waivers after the other night and he wasn’t even dressed last night. But I thought maybe they’d do season two of the three goalies.

Husso got injured last December, then came back for one game in I think it was February and I think he might have even left that game injured, but he never did play again last year.

Outside of like the first half of his first year there he’s been feces for them. He was feces his first year in St. Louis. Then came the one hit wonder year that got him this deal from Detroit.

If he wasn’t injured for basically the entire 2024 part of the 2023-2024 season them they would have played him way more and they would have missed the playoffs by 6-10 points if I had to guess, instead of missing by 0 points and on a tiebreaker.

He was the worst performing goalie there last year of the three regulars by a significant margin.

I wrote almost this entire post like 2 hours ago and didn't realize it hadn't posted.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Maybe the greatest one hit wonder goalie since the Hamburglar.

They’re the f***in stupid goofballs who played him in the season opener. I’m not at all surprised he was on waivers after the other night and he wasn’t even dressed last night. But I thought maybe they’d do season two of the three goalies.

Husso got injured last December, then came back for one game in I think it was February and I think he might have even left that game injured, but he never did play again last year.

Outside of like the first half of his first year there he’s been feces for them. He was feces his first year in St. Louis. Then came the one hit wonder year that got him this deal from Detroit.

If he wasn’t injured for basically the entire 2024 part of the 2023-2024 season them they would have played him way more and they would have missed the playoffs by 6-10 points if I had to guess, instead of missing by 0 points and on a tiebreaker.

He was the worst performing goalie there last year of the three regulars by a significant margin.

I wrote almost this entire post like 2 hours ago and didn't realize it hadn't posted.

I guess Sebastian Cossa is getting called up? That will be fun. (Edit: Or it’s just Alex Lyon. Boring!)

I have to admit I’ve been envious of several of Detroit’s goalie signings after their hot starts, before they imploded.

Husso in 2022-23:
Hot start!
IMG_9731.jpeg
Still winning at least?
IMG_9732.jpeg

Or not.
IMG_9733.jpeg

Last season Alex Lyons was keeping that team respectable until late February
IMG_9728.jpeg
…until he stopped doing that.
IMG_9729.jpeg

Last edited:

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I guess Sebastian Cossa is getting called up? That will be fun.

I have to admit I’ve been envious of several of Detroit’s goalie signings after their hot starts, before they imploded.

Husso in 2022-23:
Hot start!
View attachment 916212
Still winning at least?
View attachment 916213
Or not.
View attachment 916214

Last season Alex Lyons was keeping that team respectable until late February
View attachment 916206
…until he stopped doing that.
View attachment 916207
Is Cossa getting called up? They still have Lyon this year and signed Talbot. They even signed Jack Campbell, who went into the player assistance program about a week or two ago.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Is Cossa getting called up? They still have Lyon this year and signed Talbot. They even signed Jack Campbell, who went into the player assistance program about a week or two ago.

Forgot Lyon was still up. Well that’s boring, which fits this boring Detroit team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad