Around the NHL 2024-2025

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If a team has a chance and the cap space to acquire a top goalie it's certainly not a bad move to do so. And if you've already got a top goalie, it's probably even harder to let him go, especially over a couple million dollars. It's not like these guys are available very often.
I'm really curious to see what the Rangers do. I think their Cup window closes if they lose Shesterkin.

Panarin is 32 and 2 years left on his deal. Zibanejad and Trocheck are 31 with 4 years left on their deals. Kreider is 33 with 3 years left on his deal. They have a lot of good younger players too, but I have a hard time believing they can contend in the last 1-3 years of those deals without an elite goalie.

There has to be a line in the sand, but I'm having a hard time figuring out a dollar amount that will be such an overpay that it makes them worse than him leaving in the next 3-4 years. I'd love to know exactly what Shesterkin is asking for.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If Shersterkin wants more than $11M, I would give him 5-yrs max. Preferrably 4.

$14M x 4 or $13M x 5 would be my BAFO if I'm Drury. He'd be foolish to offer bigger money than $11M on a full 8-yr term.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Marchessault led Vegas in goals, trailed Eichel by just 1 point, and won the Conn Smythe in 2023. He has never been viewed as a truly elite player and he just got $5.5M in UFA (after being a $5M player on a long term deal with Vegas).
Verhaege just led the Panthers in goals in their Cup run and trailed Tkachuk/Barkov by just 1 point. He was also a stud on their run to the Final the year before. He was making $4.1M and those performances got him a $7M AAV extension that doesn't kick in until next season when the cap will be above $90M.

Just using this as an example. I keep seeing people saying oh poor McDavid he wants to win sooooo badly but what I see is a douche bag that wanted money over winning. You can't have the depth to win unless some people take team friendly deals. ( Losing Holloway and Broberg as an example ) So what I see from your post is that you could say These 2 players actually truly did want to win so badly that they took team friendly deals and I would prefer to have these players over a McDavid or Drai and especially a Shesterkin any day. This is not basketball where your star player can technicaly play 90% of the game and control the game. You actually need an entire team in hockey to be competitive.

No point being made against you Brian but just saying something outloud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad