Around the NHL 2024-2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
On another note, with Dallas signing Lindell ($5.25) and Harley ($4) the stars are now pretty much set on their roster for opening night. Fully cap compliant with a 22 man roster.

$693k of cap space based on Puck Pedia's proposed 23 man roster. Swap a couple of the league minimum guys with $950k guys and they'll still be compliant. Harley had no leverage, but he'll get the bag once he plays out this bridge deal. He didn't miss a day of camp, got a decent chunk of change, and the team has the flexibility to make bottom of the roster decisions based on merit instead of cap. Good deal for both sides given the cap constraints.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
$693k of cap space based on Puck Pedia's proposed 23 man roster. Swap a couple of the league minimum guys with $950k guys and they'll still be compliant. Harley had no leverage, but he'll get the bag once he plays out this bridge deal. He didn't miss a day of camp, got a decent chunk of change, and the team has the flexibility to make bottom of the roster decisions based on merit instead of cap. Good deal for both sides given the cap constraints.
I could swear puckpedia listed the roster as 22/23 when I made that post but updated to 23/23 sometime after 🤔

Reactions: Brian39

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Nill was able to pull it off and then some. Not a bad piece of business.

Reactions: Brian39

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Nill was able to pull it off and then some. Not a bad piece of business.
What are your thoughts on the Dallas roster now that the last major piece has fallen into place?

I know you've been critical of them all summer, but I always got the sense that most that criticism came from your opinion that the cap was going to prevent them from extending everyone without another move. Obviously the very bottom of the lineup could look much different than what Puck Pedia is currently projecting, but I think we can safely assume that Seguin, Benn, Hintz, Robertson, Marchment, Duchene, Dadonov, Steel, Johnston, Stankoven, Heiskanen, Lindell, Harley, Dumba, Lyubushkin, and Oetter are all locks to be in the lineup when healthy.

FWIW, I have them as the best team in the Central entering the season. I think they have a lot of high end forward talent, the deepest forward group in the league, a stud #1 D, two more really good D men, and a legit starting goalie whose A game is among the best in the world. The only big question mark I see is the bottom half of the D group. However, I think they are absolutely good enough to comfortably get to the playoffs while that remains a question mark and I expect them to bank some cap space and go rent a 2nd pair RD at the deadline if Dumba, Lyubushkin, and Lundkvist aren't getting the job done.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
What are your thoughts on the Dallas roster now that the last major piece has fallen into place?

I know you've been critical of them all summer, but I always got the sense that most that criticism came from your opinion that the cap was going to prevent them from extending everyone without another move. Obviously the very bottom of the lineup could look much different than what Puck Pedia is currently projecting, but I think we can safely assume that Seguin, Benn, Hintz, Robertson, Marchment, Duchene, Dadonov, Steel, Johnston, Stankoven, Heiskanen, Lindell, Harley, Dumba, Lyubushkin, and Oetter are all locks to be in the lineup when healthy.

FWIW, I have them as the best team in the Central entering the season. I think they have a lot of high end forward talent, the deepest forward group in the league, a stud #1 D, two more really good D men, and a legit starting goalie whose A game is among the best in the world. The only big question mark I see is the bottom half of the D group. However, I think they are absolutely good enough to comfortably get to the playoffs while that remains a question mark and I expect them to bank some cap space and go rent a 2nd pair RD at the deadline if Dumba, Lyubushkin, and Lundkvist aren't getting the job done.

I know your post was addressed to Chicago and I'm sure he'll repond but not sure how you can say Dallas isn't a wagon this year. They already had the absurd depth but with another year of experience for their young guys and likely being pissed off after coming up a bit short in the last few playoffs, I expect them to be a handful this year. Their young talent is so good already it's almost not fair. Who has drafted better than Dallas in the last decade? Harley, Hintz, Robertson, Johnson and Stankhoven were all drafted lower (some WAY lower) than they should have been.

Not that I'm a Dallas fan by any means, but I would like to see them come out of the West a lot more than Colorado, Vegas or Edmonton. They are good enough to win the President's Trophy though that obviously shouldn't be their main goal this year.

Random thought about RFAs and offer sheets. A guy is only gonna sign one if the team is jerking him around too much AND he actually wants to leave the city and team. I'd bet that Harley has no interest in leaving tax-free Texas and that loaded Stars team right now. The Stars might have sacrificed more money long-term to get a better deal now, but I'm sure both sides are ok with it.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Caps put Oshie on LTIR. Unfortunately it sounds like the end of road for him as player. If this is it, he had a heckuva career. Much better than most thought when we "reached" for him in 1st round way back when.

IMO I find it strange that if this is how Oshie retires that our #1 line for most of the 2010's would all have to retire due to injury. Sort of sad.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
IMO I find it strange that if this is how Oshie retires that our #1 line for most of the 2010's would all have to retire due to injury. Sort of sad.
It makes sense with the way they played the game though. They all played hard as f*** and never took a shift off. That’s what made them so good together but unfortunately injuries also come with that territory. Nonetheless, careers to be proud of for sure.

Reactions: Drubilly

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think the reality is that way more retirements are injury related than we'd like to acknowledge. LTIR and the way the cap is calculated encourages teams to offer longer term than players 'should' get so we are seeing a lot of these LTIRetirements.

But tons of other guys simply see their play drop off as injuries hinder them, don't have that long term big money deal that keeps them on an NHL roster and the opportunities dry up. And if you made $10M+ in your career, the allure of making a couple hundred grand to ride the bus in the AHL isn't that appealing. I think that so much of the decline we commonly refer to as guys just getting old is really injury related. This game takes a hell of a physical toll.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Spitting Chiclets (I don't particularly listen to them, since I don't pay attention to immature fratboys, but they do break some player-based information, such as what happened with Babcock and the Blue Jackets) and Paul Bissonnette in particular, are apparently doubling down on the Jeremy Swayman talk that Don Sweeney (Boston GM) refused to take Swayman's calls for three weeks. They want Don Sweeney to come on the next podcast.

Overall, I think it's very interesting, especially since Swayman isn't there for the start of camp.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006

Okay....I finally have some time for a thoughtful post.

First, I want to say that it's been fun doing a deep dive into the Dallas Stars. It's like an elaborate word problem.

Entering the playoffs, I had a NYR-EDM Final. I was with the majority sentiment here that DAL was a damn good team as they had several good pieces and progressing youngsters.

Once the WCF started, I took the time to look more closely at DAL. My immediate observation was how imbalanced the TOI was with their D. That was the first red flag. Also, Pavs, Duchene and Suter slowed down to the detriment of their overall success. That was another red flag. By G3 or 4 of the WCF, I had a strong feeling that Dallas was not going to win the Cup or advance to the Final. They got exposed a little bit and EDM took advantage.

Fast forward to the offseason with DAL making a bunch of moves to reshape their D. Signing Dumba, Lybushkin and B. Smith, while also re-signing Lundkvist (Perunovich bad) was certainly one way to address their major issues on D, but I viewed those signings as a reaction to Harley not immediately signing a contract. Accurate or not, that's where I went. Harley then used his RFA leverage to let the market settle for his needs to be met and took it to the bitter end, while not pulling a JRob.

Nill is a good finaggler. I did not see how they could pull it off with their cap situation. They made moves to make room and then Nill did his thing.

Now DAL has Heiskanen, Lindell and Harley as their top 3 with one a top-5 D-man in the NHL. The "business is business" part is over now.

Of the forwards you listed, only Hintz, Robertson and Johnston can be counted on for reliable offense, imo. Benn is slowing down and has far less support, although he's played the full 82 games these past three seasons. Seguin and Duchene are obviously older, but will/should provide adequate offense to keep DAL positioned for a playoff spot, but Duchene faded big time. Marchment is a bit of a diva. He can score some, but also embellsihes contact. He's a dipshit just like his dad and most Stars fans about done with him. Dadonov and Steel provide good depth.

Outside of Bourque, they don't have much in the pipeline. Bichsel is a Swiss beast, but is a little off his rocker and might whine his way back to Sweden. D prospects, Kyrou and Bertucci have a long way to go. Hemming is pretty good, but needs time. Currently, DAL lacks the draft capital to overcome the upcoming age disparity on their roster. Comparatively, NSH also has an age disparity, but has beaucoups resources to manage that. On top of that, DAL has four big-timers to re-sign in the next 2-3 years. Cap will rise, Benn's salary will decrease, assuming they keep him and other cap hits will fall off.

For this season, I see the Stars as still a bit of the paper tiger that I thought they were a few months ago. Seguin (questionable), Dadonov and Duchene need to stay healthy and produce because they will now have to rely on Stankoven taking a legitmate next big step. Bourque is also stepping into a situation with lofty/wishful expectations that may not be in his best interest. A lot has to go right for this roster to control favorable matchups in the playoffs. Compared to other rosters in the WC, DAL has the upper hand on most, but that aged roster is one key injury away from big problems.

Of course, I haven't forgotten their smoking gun stud man, Jake Oettinger.

That's all I got on this. I left it all on the ice. There's always more to add and elucidate, but this is a pretty good picture of my thoughts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad