Around the NHL 2024 - Offseason Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There's definitely an argument that the last two games could lose the Smythe for him but if you're taking the whole playoffs into account it's hard for me to argue McDavid deserved it. He was amazing for the most part.
I mean he had 11 pts in 7 SCF games but the overall stat kind of hides the fact 8 of them came in 2 games and 10 in 3 games. He had 1 point in the other 4 combined. So it was kind of all or nothing.

Not really saying he didn't deserve it, but I don't think it was on the same level as what Giguerre did that one year.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Wow, what a hockey night! Brilliant game 7 from Florida, Paul Maurice with one of the great interviews I can remember from a winning coach (and wishing his former team would be able to win the Cup) and a great trophy lift, trades are happening, that fraud Meruelo is out in Arizona, and Draisaitl apparently announced he won't be re-signing in Edmonton after next season and this last one was fake, but still... Everything is happening!

Last edited:

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
NHL results showing bold moves to acquire elite talent pays off. Florida paid Bob what appeared to be ridiculous money, and traded for Tkachuk.

And Vegas multiple moves go without saying.

No wonder Trotz tried so hard to land a top 4 pick last summer. Not sure who might be available but I hope he swings for the fences again.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
NHL results showing bold moves to acquire elite talent pays off. Florida paid Bob what appeared to be ridiculous money, and traded for Tkachuk.

No wonder Trotz tried so hard to land a top 4 pick last summer. Not sure who might be available but I hope he swings for the fences again.
Don't forget Tampa and Colorado also making big moves to win their Cups.

Reactions: PredsV82

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Key is getting the elite talent and not paying good talent elite money and then trying to convince yourself they are elite. Question is does he pay the price to get them, you aren't getting a guy like that as an UFA without giving them a retirement type deal. The other option is a trade, and is he willing to come off the players it will take to get that elite talent.

Also this whole notion of loyalty has to go out the window. You gotta be willing to cut the guys when the time comes no matter what they have done for the franchise.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

These two things are different as in the Florida/Vegas moves are like chickens and draft picks are like eggs.

Not that acquiring a good stable of talent is bad, whatever way it is accomplished and of which there are many ways.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Totatally agree. F all this tanking BS.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
EXACTLY! Seems no one will/wants to come to Nashville for some reason!
A true elite talent hitting UFA is exceedingly rare, unless they're past their prime already. We can get good filler there, but even if we had the perfect sales pitch and plenty of cash, the game-changing-#1C we need so badly is so rarely going to be there.

Per NHL.com, 13 of the 14 top Centers in points this year are still with the team that drafted them (JT Miller only exception)

Reactions: hockey diva

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Florida also got help from the 2013 2nd overall pick Barkov and 2014 1st overall pick Ekblad.

12-13 last in the league 30/30
13-14 next to last in the league 29/30
We shouldnt act like they didnt do their own tank. They just did a much better job of making moves and supporting their high end talent with bold trades by getting Bennett, Reinhart, Montour, and Tkachuk.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Florida also got help from the 2013 2nd overall pick Barkov and 2014 1st overall pick Ekblad.

12-13 last in the league 30/30
13-14 next to last in the league 29/30
We shouldnt act like they didnt do their own tank. They just did a much better job of making moves and supporting their high end talent with bold trades by getting Bennett, Reinhart, Montour, and Tkachuk.
And Bobrovsky. That signing was panned at times, but paid off in the end.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Cool. Then we need to be ok with getting rid of guys like Tomasino, Molyndyke, Askarov, Kemell etc.
I think we're all ok with that. But tbh, I don't think teams are trading their superstars for just prospects either. Best you could hope for in the "predatorial" sense is finally trying an offer sheet, but that hits your next several years of those types of prospects, when they are still unspent draft picks, as opposed to it actually being those specific prospects themselves.

But even that... when has a top RFA even ever been offer-sheeted? Not in recent years anyway. If one ever becomes available, it's definitely worth giving up 4 mid-1sts to try to land that top guy. Even if you think the other team will most likely match.

Part of it is the money too, though. You just have to be willing to make an insane overpay on the financial side. If it's part of an offersheet. Or be ready to for a UFA even... like, starting today, let's keep casually mentioning that we're ready to pay Draisatl $18M per when he's a UFA next summer. If he really wants to re-up with the Oilers, well, that's his choice. But over here in Nashville we've got that huge payday and lower taxes all ready to go... :naughty:

But it has to be for that truly franchise level of player. Making those payments for anything less isn't going to help.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
From Yahoo Sports:

“Corey Perry has now lost in the Stanley Cup Final four times in five years with four different teams (Oilers, Ducks, Stars, Canadiens). Brutal.”

“Brutal?” More like “Awesome.”
I'm sure he'd like another one and all but he's probably not too fussed in the scheme of things.

1719329590561.png

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Find a Center that is a good offersheet target, get it signed and hope it isnt matched, then hope he doesnt turn out like Kotkaniemi.
I'd be very reluctant to give up any nonproected 1sts. We made the playoffs this year, but there are multiple versions of this season we probably end up with a top 10 or even top 5 pick.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Find a Center that is a good offersheet target, get it signed and hope it isnt matched, then hope he doesnt turn out like Kotkaniemi.
I mean, this year it's sort of an option to try that with Necas, and then I guess if you are paying him stupid money, it's not too much stupider to try to convert him back to center. :eek3:

(Or Lundell, Mercer, Pinto, Beniers, Byfield, etc)

Last edited:

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
For a true #1C, I have a hard time believing the offer sheet isn't matched, even if it means moving out other pieces. If went this route, it has to be a risky acquisition with issues (not-a-real-center like Necas, unproven like Kotkaniemi, etc). If, say, Hughes was an RFA, NJD would do whatever it takes to match.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I mean, this year it's sort of an option to try that with Necas, and then I guess if you are paying him stupid money, it's not too much stupider to try to convert him back to center. :eek3:
Who all are the centers (or could be centers that are supposedly available)?
Zegras - a higher ceiling version of Novak with plenty of defensive issues.
Necas - hasnt played center at the NHL level
Kotkaniemi - expensive and hasnt panned out
PLD - already traded
Norris - lengthy shoulder injury history

Probably missing a few but this is like russian roulette. Atleast with Necas you know he can play wing if all else fails

Reactions: Top 6 Spaling

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
For a true #1C, I have a hard time believing the offer sheet isn't matched, even if it means moving out other pieces. If went this route, it has to be a risky acquisition with issues (not-a-real-center like Necas, unproven like Kotkaniemi, etc). If, say, Hughes was an RFA, NJD would do whatever it takes to match.
Probably correct. Players to think about though
Sillinger (CBJ)
Beniers (SEA)
Pinto (OTT)
Byfield (LAK)
Lundell (FLA)

But all those teams have plenty of capspace at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad