Around the NHL 2023-24 - Offseason

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Ullmark is apparently looking for 7 million per for 5 years.

This is not a deal I would have wanted to pass out to him. One of the reasons I preferred Markstrom.

That seems like a reasonable ask of him. I'm not saying i'd like it. Feels like the equivalent of the Kuemper/Husso/Campbell deals signed a couple years ago. Just with inflation.

Man - none of those deals worked out, eh? Husso had some moments, but clearly can't handle it. Outside of Adin Hill, that Vanecek trade/deal was probably the bargain of that year's goalie offseason.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
That seems like a reasonable ask of him. I'm not saying i'd like it. Feels like the equivalent of the Kuemper/Husso/Campbell deals signed a couple years ago. Just with inflation.

Man - none of those deals worked out, eh? Husso had some moments, but clearly can't handle it. Outside of Adin Hill, that Vanecek trade/deal was probably the bargain of that year's goalie offseason.
It's absolutely a reasonable ask for him. I thought he'd get about 6 or 6.25, so an initial ask of 7 makes a ton of sense.

The Kuemper deal is where I pegged it, but with cap inflation I think that was still less than 6, so I added more lol.

But as you referenced, a reasonable ask doesn't always mean it's a deal that I'd want to give out.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Things got lively after they cancelled the land auction that was going to make all of Meruelo’s real estate scams arena plans come true.

That statement is something. “By canceling the land auction, the state is forgoing millions, and potentially billions of dollars that would have gone directly to K-12 education.”
Ok, sure, sounds plausible.

Comment from “a staff member who works for Phoenix Councilman Kevin Robinson in District 6”

Comment from “the former executive vice president of communications for the Coyotes who worked for Meruelo until September 2023”

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Any possibility of Gritsyuk doing the same or is he 100% staying next year? He could have a pretty big opportunity to make the team, especially if we move on from Holtz.
Dont know a ton about Gritsyuk but does feel like hes worsening his odds of being a Devil the longer he stays over in the K

If he stays overseas for another year or two, there may just be no spots for him when we begin to fill out the middle-6 with playoff talent

Four of the top-6 are signed until eternity with Mercer Holtz and crew coming up the wings; Arseni probably doesnt end up wearing a Devils jersey sadly, unless he comes over this season

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Dont know a ton about Gritsyuk but does feel like hes worsening his odds of being a Devil the longer he stays over in the K

If he stays overseas for another year or two, there may just be no spots for him when we begin to fill out the middle-6 with playoff talent

Four of the top-6 are signed until eternity with Mercer Holtz and crew coming up the wings; Arseni probably doesnt end up wearing a Devils jersey sadly, unless he comes over this season
We would really be in a bad spot from a prospect perspective without him.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
We would really be in a bad spot from a prospect perspective without him.
Agreed but it may end up being him in a deal that gets us his value to the team; maybe for another prospect who is ready or more of a fit for the middle-6?

I was hoping he'd come over last year or this year but.. seems maybe he wont

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Any possibility of Gritsyuk doing the same or is he 100% staying next year? He could have a pretty big opportunity to make the team, especially if we move on from Holtz.
He dont need to, we dont need to. Different situations. He will end his deal and will join Devils, if we will not trade him before.

You dont know a ton about Gritsyuk, so you should start and finish there.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
He dont need to, we dont need to. Different situations. He will end his deal and will join Devils, if we will not trade him before.

You dont know a ton about Gritsyuk, so you should start and finish there.
Luckily you dont have to know a ton about the player to know the situation; hes already 23 and (seemingly) wont be coming over until 24 or 25. Odds he then is willing to play in the A for a year or two are low

Devils have more offensive talent under 30 then possibly any team in the league; Gritsyuk isnt lowering his chances to make the NHL staying home, just his chances to make the team in New Jersey

I get maybe thats hard to hear but thats his right and the Devils have to protect their asset. If he decides to come over this year I think hed be better off for it

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Luckily you dont have to know a ton about the player to know the situation; hes already 23 and (seemingly) wont be coming over until 24 or 25. Odds he then is willing to play in the A for a year or two are low

Devils have more offensive talent under 30 then possibly any team in the league; Gritsyuk isnt lowering his chances to make the NHL staying home, just his chances to make the team in New Jersey

I get maybe thats hard to hear but thats his right and the Devils have to protect their asset. If he decides to come over this year I think hed be better off for it
Really? Or may be you should know at least something? What kind of a deal he signed, what he said about his future and NHL, what his agent said about his future and NHL?

Odds to play in AHL? Why he should play in AHL? Because some person want it?
How he lowering his chances to not make the NHL when Devils has Palat, Haula and Foote as their left wingers and their best LW prospect after Gritsyuk is Josh Filmon?

I dont know how Devils have to protect their asset, but NHL teams do not lose their rights on Russian players, he isnt NCAA player.
He will come over when he wants to come over and actually it doesnt depend on your desire about his potential come over this year or previous year, he has own desire and plans he already translated.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Really? Or may be you should know at least something? What kind of a deal he signed, what he said about his future and NHL, what his agent said about his future and NHL?

Odds to play in AHL? Why he should play in AHL? Because some person want it?
How he lowering his chances to not make the NHL when Devils has Palat, Haula and Foote as their left wingers and their best LW prospect after Gritsyuk is Josh Filmon?

I dont know how Devils have to protect their asset, but NHL teams do not lose their rights on Russian players, he isnt NCAA player.
He will come over when he wants to come over and actually it doesnt depend on your desire about his potential come over this year or previous year, he has own desire and plans he already translated.
He can come over whenever he wants but if he isnt good enough he isnt getting a roster spot simply because hes our asset lol

I mentioned the AHL because hes played zero days in a North American league; I doubt he comes over, at any age, and is immediately ready for a top-9 spot on a contender (which we likely are by then)

And we wont keep him forever because his value will plummet with each passing year

I hope he works out for us or gets us good value back but I think youre giving him far too much credit; hes not Matvei Michkov

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
He can come over whenever he wants but if he isnt good enough he isnt getting a roster spot simply because hes our asset lol

I mentioned the AHL because hes played zero days in a North American league; I doubt he comes over, at any age, and is immediately ready for a top-9 spot on a contender (which we likely are by then)

And we wont keep him forever because his value will plummet with each passing year

I hope he works out for us or gets us good value back but I think youre giving him far too much credit; hes not Matvei Michkov
Devils are playing with guys like Foote, Nosek, Bastian and Holtz in his actual shape on the ice. He will have some role, higher or lower in the line up. lol-huyol.

You can live with your doubts. Mercer somehow won roster spot in his 19 yo without playing in AHL.

If gms are thinking your way, why they should make a trade for a player who is already 24 and should spend time in AHL because he isnt NHL ready?

Yeah, Russia is making only two types of hockey players - Michkovs and Kalinins. Too bad Michkov was drafted by flyers and we already have some Kalinin's culture in our system.

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Devils are playing with guys like Foote, Nosek, Bastian and Holtz in his actual shape on the ice. He will have some role, higher or lower in the line up. lol-huyol.

You can live with your doubts. Mercer somehow won roster spot in his 19 yo without playing in AHL.

If gms are thinking your way, why they should make a trade for a player who is already 24 and should spend time in AHL because he isnt NHL ready?

Yeah, Russia is making only two types of hockey players - Michkovs and Kalinins. Too bad Michkov was drafted by flyers and we already have some Kalinin's culture in our system.
I doubt Gritsyuk comes over to be a fourth liner in the NHL; would he even make more than he could in Russia? And why would we want him on our fourth line?

Mercer played North American hockey his whole life so the adjustment period was much shorter for him; in fact, were currently experiencing this adjustment with Holtz

Him being 23 and not coming over yet is an issue because it lowers his value, since with every passing year he has that much less of a chance to improve far beyond what he is now.

Kaprizov and Panarin came over later but were as guaranteed as a prospect can be; we, as Devils fans, also saw what happened with Nikita Gusev

The longer Gritsyuk takes the higher the odds he doesnt put on a Devils uniform - and itll probably be a trade scenario in the next year or so

This is why Russian prospects (even greats like Matvei and Kaprizov) fall in drafts; its a real issue that sometimes they decide or are convinced to stay longer than they should. Teams arent usually spending tons of assets on an unproven 25+ year old

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It's only June and people are stressing over Gritsyuk coming here or not. Fitzgerald said last year to wait 2 more seasons for his KHL deal to expire before he comes to NJ. He will be given a fair shot at making the team next year.

To be honest if we take a forward with the 10th overall pick then the possibility of Gritsyuk being a bust or forcing his way out of here will certainly soften the blow.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I doubt Gritsyuk comes over to be a fourth liner in the NHL; would he even make more than he could in Russia? And why would we want him on our fourth line?
Who said he will play fourth line? Fitz? I dont think he will sell him fourth line spot. After sign his deal he will be in the same situations as others - better player will play in better line. If Gritsyuk isnt better he will start to adapt on fourth line and 2nd pp unit. But dont forget that other players will be in the same spot - if Gritsyuk will be better than other players - some other player will go down in the line up.

Mercer played North American hockey his whole life so the adjustment period was much shorter for him; in fact, were currently experiencing this adjustment with Holtz
NA hockey? If you think that QMJHL is closer to "NA hockey" in NHL than "Russian hockey" in KHL, than you should be surprised, Im not. its clear from the debate.
We experiencing this adjustment with Holtz because Holtz is Holtz, SHL hockey has nothing with it, Bratt started to play in NHL as 19 yo, Holtz was nearly PPG player in AHL as 19 yo.
Him being 23 and not coming over yet is an issue because it lowers his value, since with every passing year he has that much less of a chance to improve far beyond what he is now.

Lower his value for whom? For you or for Fitz or for other gms? Do you have value meter? How good it is working, based on your opinion? Your development chances understanding is very abstract. He developed his game before somehow. Like some other players who joined NHL as 23/24/25 yo player.

Kaprizov and Panarin came over later but were as guaranteed as a prospect can be; we, as Devils fans, also saw what happened with Nikita Gusev
May be there were something with Nikita Gusev's game? Btw even he produced 44 points in 66 games in his first season. If we will have 44 points out from Gritsyuk - it will not be the end of the world, we dont have a lot of depth players who can produce 44 points. May be some better aspects of Gritsyuk's game will help to adapt if we compare him with Gusev. You can study the game of Gritsyuk and the game of Gusev by yourself to learn something from it.

The longer Gritsyuk takes the higher the odds he doesnt put on a Devils uniform - and itll probably be a trade scenario in the next year or so
May be if he will not join the Devils the next year and sign his next KHL deal his NHL rights will be traded, but it will be some kind change of scenario you could know if you would keep an eye on situations.

This is why Russian prospects (even greats like Matvei and Kaprizov) fall in drafts; its a real issue that sometimes they decide or are convinced to stay longer than they should. Teams arent usually spending tons of assets on an unproven 25+ year old
Yeah, its a real issue with prospects like Matvey and Kaprisov. GMs who see the situation and treat players this way. It is their decision to do so. I believe we dont have same kind of issue with any other players. Typical Russian players like Gauthierov, Foxin, McGroartin is a fresh body, its so sad to not see Kerfootenko in our roster and its look like McCarthin will never play for Devils too, looks like Edwardtsev is close too.
Some gms are drafting and signing Russian players and develop them, some dont. Who is more succesfull and who is not I dont know. I believe teams like Tampa who spent some of assets for Kucherov, Sergachyov and Vasilevsky are really stupid and badly managed, I agree.

Reactions: forceten

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Who said he will play fourth line? Fitz? I dont think he will sell him fourth line spot. After sign his deal he will be in the same situations as others - better player will play in better line. If Gritsyuk isnt better he will start to adapt on fourth line and 2nd pp unit. But dont forget that other players will be in the same spot - if Gritsyuk will be better than other players - some other player will go down in the line up.

NA hockey? If you think that QMJHL is closer to "NA hockey" in NHL than "Russian hockey" in KHL, than you should be surprised, Im not. its clear from the debate.
We experiencing this adjustment with Holtz because Holtz is Holtz, SHL hockey has nothing with it, Bratt started to play in NHL as 19 yo, Holtz was nearly PPG player in AHL as 19 yo.

Lower his value for whom? For you or for Fitz or for other gms? Do you have value meter? How good it is working, based on your opinion? Your development chances understanding is very abstract. He developed his game before somehow. Like some other players who joined NHL as 23/24/25 yo player.

May be there were something with Nikita Gusev's game? Btw even he produced 44 points in 66 games in his first season. If we will have 44 points out from Gritsyuk - it will not be the end of the world, we dont have a lot of depth players who can produce 44 points. May be some better aspects of Gritsyuk's game will help to adapt if we compare him with Gusev. You can study the game of Gritsyuk and the game of Gusev by yourself to learn something from it.

May be if he will not join the Devils the next year and sign his next KHL deal his NHL rights will be traded, but it will be some kind change of scenario you could know if you would keep an eye on situations.

Yeah, its a real issue with prospects like Matvey and Kaprisov. GMs who see the situation and treat players this way. It is their decision to do so. I believe we dont have same kind of issue with any other players. Typical Russian players like Gauthierov, Foxin, McGroartin is a fresh body, its so sad to not see Kerfootenko in our roster and its look like McCarthin will never play for Devils too, looks like Edwardtsev is close too.
Some gms are drafting and signing Russian players and develop them, some dont. Who is more succesfull and who is not I dont know. I believe teams like Tampa who spent some of assets for Kucherov, Sergachyov and Vasilevsky are really stupid and badly managed, I agree.
I only mentioned fourth line since you brought up Foote and Bastian and such; I agreed with you but wanted to eliminate the idea of fourth line and Im glad you see it that way as well. Hes too good to come over for fourth line and its not in his playstyle from what I understand

We cant use Bratt as an example because what he did was practically historic for today's standards; a late-round pick from overseas making it at 19? Thats not a good precursor I dont think.

And I do believe theres a difference between playing in North America and KHL, yes lol; the QMJHL isnt thousands of miles away to start, among other on-ice related reasons. Usage of younger players would be one and the systems deployed would be another

Id very gladly take Gusev's rookie production from Gritsyuk as an average - I agree there

Not sure what you mean about the signing and trading his rights part but perhaps I misunderstood; I do believe his rights are more valuable today than next year or thereafter

For the record I implore all teams to look deep into Russian leagues because theyre, simply-put, #3 in the world for hockey talent. Though Sweden may disagree lol. But the risk is real and unfortunately what lowers the value of a solid to great prospect like Gritsyuk

Id prefer to keep him and have him come over this or next year; however, if its not this season, he likely gets traded for some veteran depth in the middle-6 - at least thats my opinion

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Who says he’s Michkov?

The KHL is a top league. Gritsyuk might not make it here but playing in the AHL “for a year or two” ain’t happening.

KHL players who never played in the AHL:
Kuzmenko came over at 26. (Undrafted)
Mikheyev came over at 25. (Undrafted)
Zub came over at 25. (Undrafted)
Panarin came over at 24. (Undrafted)
Gavrikov came over at 24. (2015 6th Rd #158)
Lybushkin came over at 24. (Undrafted)
Kaprizov came over at 23. (2015 5th Rd #135)

Also
Barabanov came over at 26 and played 4 AHL games. (Undrafted)
Voronkov came over at 23 and played 4 AHL games. (2019 4th Rd #114)

And good value back? He was a 2019 5th Rd pick. 10 players out of that round have been signed, with 2 having played a game in the NHL. (There were 4 Russian players taken in that round and teams still have their rights.)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I only mentioned fourth line since you brought up Foote and Bastian and such; I agreed with you but wanted to eliminate the idea of fourth line and Im glad you see it that way as well. Hes too good to come over for fourth line and its not in his playstyle from what I understand

We cant use Bratt as an example because what he did was practically historic for today's standards; a late-round pick from overseas making it at 19? Thats not a good precursor I dont think.

And I do believe theres a difference between playing in North America and KHL, yes lol; the QMJHL isnt thousands of miles away to start, among other on-ice related reasons. Usage of younger players would be one and the systems deployed would be another

Id very gladly take Gusev's rookie production from Gritsyuk as an average - I agree there

Not sure what you mean about the signing and trading his rights part but perhaps I misunderstood; I do believe his rights are more valuable today than next year or thereafter

For the record I implore all teams to look deep into Russian leagues because theyre, simply-put, #3 in the world for hockey talent. Though Sweden may disagree lol. But the risk is real and unfortunately what lowers the value of a solid to great prospect like Gritsyuk

Id prefer to keep him and have him come over this or next year; however, if its not this season, he likely gets traded for some veteran depth in the middle-6 - at least thats my opinion
Overall

Gritsyuk wasnt rush by Devils organisation, they were happy with his development in Russia. He is under control because he is Russian. Its only Russian prospects with immortal rights. Gavrus was Devils prospect I think until his 28-29 years. He literally said by himself that he will sign two years deal and will join his NA team. He was pretty interested in his career, talked about it many times. He is 5th round pick so even if he will never play in NA - he still has pretty great career for 5th rounder, but he will try himself because he already achieved a lot of money, his contract status helps him to minimize his ELC period. He is good skater and can battle for the puck - at least in KHL, Gusev couldnt skate and battle for the puck.

Everything what was going on with Gritsyuk is great for Devils fan because for 5th rounder he developed greatly. He isnt Kaprizov level player, but like I said many times - he is hockey player with talents. He still has some questions but even with them he is working hard and now in the last play off he won some puck battles against 6'3+ defensemen. And he is very valuable for Devils because he can be 40-50 or even more points NHL ready player for free.

In case of scaring to draft players like Michkov - yeah. MTL are freaking idiots. They believed in their story and listened their idiot Bobrov(or how this turds name is, there are enough stupid russians, its not prerogative for brits, americans and splitheads only, every nation has quite similar proportions of stupids) who was popular for his Kravtsov and Andersson picks for rangers. And look at them now - they didnt draft near generational talent because they were afraid for his character and his deal. Now he is moving to NHL and it looks like he will play more NHL games than poor guy Reinbacher. And from every game I saw and every interview I listened I know that the only character issue of Michkov is his desire to win. What a boy, never saw such an issue with competitive top talents.

Teams were afraid to draft Yurov? Great. Guadana said that he is NHL top-6 center in the future and look what he did? He will join Wild soon and even there were rumors about Wild ready to trade Rossi. Very interesting why.

But yeah. lets trade Gritsyuk because 5th rounder is losing his value.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

And btw. About all this bias against Russians

NCAA factor is more real actually than Russian one...

Thats fact.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Who says he’s Michkov?

The KHL is a top league. Gritsyuk might not make it here but playing in the AHL “for a year or two” ain’t happening.

KHL players who never played in the AHL:
Kuzmenko came over at 26. (Undrafted)
Mikheyev came over at 25. (Undrafted)
Zub came over at 25. (Undrafted)
Panarin came over at 24. (Undrafted)
Gavrikov came over at 24. (2015 6th Rd #158)
Lybushkin came over at 24. (Undrafted)
Kaprizov came over at 23. (2015 5th Rd #135)

Also
Barabanov came over at 26 and played 4 AHL games. (Undrafted)
Voronkov came over at 23 and played 4 AHL games. (2019 4th Rd #114)

And good value back? He was a 2019 5th Rd pick. 10 players out of that round have been signed, with 2 having played a game in the NHL. (There were 4 Russian players taken in that round and teams still have their rights.)
So we shouldnt worry about the value he gets back (or gives us) because he was a 5th round pick? I dont necessarily agree with that - sure Im not going to be up in arms if he busts or we end up moving him as a minor piece in a deal; but hes earned more than his original 5th round valuation

And most of them being undrafted sort of negates the point (though I dont remember insinuating he couldnt come over and play right away. Just that maybe a year or two in the A would do good). Whats the list of drafted Russians who were held onto by the same team until they were 24-25? And how did they do? I imagine the list would be a bit shorter out of the later rounds.. maybe 10 or so in the last how long?

If he comes over next year like is expected then great - lets see how he does. If Fitzgerald happens to fill in some roster spots with middle-6 guys then Idk where hes going to fit.

Hed have to be pretty good as a rookie to stick on a team trying to contend now. He wont get nearly as much leniency as other prospects have (nor will any other prospect we have going forward)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad