Around the NHL 2023-24 - playoff thread

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I have absolutely no attachment to Marty the management person or Marty the head of the goalie department.

I would throw him overboard as fast as anybody here.

Just like I have no emotional attachment to Scott Stevens the coach, who we still get calls to bring back every so often.
I get that but on some level I think it's good to have the team's prior greats happy to be around. I'm not suggesting Marty is some great executive but having him as one of the faces of the team is not a bad thing in my view if he is somewhat in the background.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I have absolutely no attachment to Marty the management person or Marty the head of the goalie department.

I would throw him overboard as fast as anybody here.

Just like I have no emotional attachment to Scott Stevens the coach, who we still get calls to bring back every so often.
I actually think Scotty would be an excellent defensive skills coach.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
A huge underdog against barely .500 Montreal?! They would have beaten them too, maybe in 6 or 7 but I couldn't see them losing to Montreal after taking out Tampa and Boston.

It's a pivotal offseason/next season in terms of determining whether major surgery is needed to make this team a true contender or minor tweaks.

man you know something i never really thought about that how the isles legit could've won the cup that year if they squeaked it out against the bolts. hot dang! i get its a cup* but as a fan i wouldn't care and for the isle fan? man thats gotta really sting

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
A few years, prior to the McDavid / Matthews group taking over the league, I think Stevens would've been a great coach. But the game has changed a lot. Coaches have talked about this - mistakes are par for the course, it is all about speed and transition, even if 50/50 pucks and board play still matter a lot.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
4 year deal for Green, wow. He better send Fitz a nice Christmas gift this year.
even more pressure for fitz now on his coaching choice. if another coach walks and has success that aint going to be good for him

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
A huge underdog against barely .500 Montreal?! They would have beaten them too, maybe in 6 or 7 but I couldn't see them losing to Montreal after taking out Tampa and Boston.

It's a pivotal offseason/next season in terms of determining whether major surgery is needed to make this team a true contender or minor tweaks.

Whoops, forgot that Montreal was the team on the other side of the Cup Finals that year. Just goes to show how fake that whole playoffs was.

I do not think it is a pivotal offseason. Major surgery is not possible on this team given the contracts and players - any major surgery would just make the team worse overall, even if the team improves afterwards. It feels like a pivotal offseason because of how lousy this season was, but the biggest way Fitzgerald could really screw it up just went to Ottawa.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

Pretty good read about the Leafs (not the one that Dom L. put out today), but there’s a pretty depressing chart (table?) halfway through of every teams’ playoffs wins over the last decade:
IMG_5814.jpeg

As depressing as it is to see the Devils down there, i can’t believe LA hasn’t won a single round since their last cup. That’s crazy.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Some of those names are awful. Why on earth would you want a sports team to be called the powder?

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Considering how many coyotes live in Utah you'd think they'd at least kick the tires with keeping the damn nickname Coyotes?
Meruelo was very, very proud of how he didn't actually move the team and still owns the Coyotes and it's still going to be the same team when they come back in 5 years so, unfortunately, they can't use it.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Meruelo was very, very proud of how he didn't actually move the team and still owns the Coyotes and it's still going to be the same team when they come back in 5 years so, unfortunately, they can't use it.

Ah, damn. So this is like, the Arizona Coyotes sold the assets of the team, including contracts for players and reserve lists, to this Utah franchise, and still exist, although in $0 revenue $0 cost format? Crikey. This means that there will have to be some complementary eastern expansion in the future.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad