Around the NHL 2023-24 - Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I don't think Grier has done a bad job either, he came into a job that was way worse than Shero's roster when Lou left. He did fine in the Meier, Hertl, EK trades I thought too. Smith/Celebrini are a decent start to that rebuild but it's not like they'll be good anytime soon. Good chance he won't see that rebuild through with how hockey works. They'll probably get an older GM to finish off that roster when time comes.

Even if he was perfect they might not be a consistent playoff team in 7 years - but he is certainly isn’t helping speed it along by making shrewd moves. Right now sharks fans best hope is that it’s too early for these mistakes to damage the long term outlook.

I mean we hate the fact that they're helping NYR but does Goodrow really hurt them? He's probably a guy that every dogshit team can use in some sense to help the youth acclimate into the league.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Ballpark goalie tandems:

UFA:
1B: Samsonov-Talbot-Brossoit
2: Stolarz-Kahkonen-Wedgewood-Nedeljkovic-Lankinen-DeSmith-Pickard-Driedger-Jones-Reimer-Copley-Comrie-Raanta

Pretty much every starting spot spoken for aside from Toronto. We'll see if Utah wants to upgrade. If Boston dealt Ullmark, it sounds like they would stay internal and promote their AHL goalie Brandon Bussi. Not that many backup spots either.

ANA: Gibson - Dostal
CGY: Wolf - Vladar
EDM: Skinner - Campbell
LAK: Kuemper - Rittich
SEA: Grubauer - Daccord
SJS: Blackwood - Vanecek
VAN: Demko - Silovs
VGK: Hill - Thompson

CHI: Mrazek - Soderblom
COL: Georgiev - Annunen?
DAL: Oettinger -
MIN: Gustavsson - Fleury
NSH: Saros - Askarov?
STL: Binnington - Hofer
UTH: Ingram - Vejmelka
WPG: Hellebucyk -

BOS: Swayman - Ullmark - Bussi
BUF: Luukkonen - Levi?
DET: Husso - Lyon
FLO: Bobrovsky - Knight
MON: Montembeault - Primeau
OTT: Korpisalo - Forsberg
TBL: Vasilevskiy - Johansson?
TOR: - Woll

CAR: Andersen - Kochetkov
CLB: Merzlikins - Tarasov
NJD: Markstrom - Allen
NYI: Sorokin - Varlamov
NYR: Shesterkin - Quick
PHI: Ersson - Fedotov
PIT: Jarry -
WSH: Lindgren -
Markstrom - Allen tandem
IMG_9922.gif

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
I don't think Grier has done a bad job either, he came into a job that was way worse than Shero's roster when Lou left. He did fine in the Meier, Hertl, EK trades I thought too. Smith/Celebrini are a decent start to that rebuild but it's not like they'll be good anytime soon. Good chance he won't see that rebuild through with how hockey works. They'll probably get an older GM to finish off that roster when time comes.

I mean we hate the fact that they're helping NYR but does Goodrow really hurt them? He's probably a guy that every dogshit team can use in some sense to help the youth acclimate into the league.

No one was taking that contract besides Grier - all other interest in him was as a cap dump or a UFA after a buyout.

He literally took a negative asset for nothing - most rebuilding teams get assets for what happened here.

Reactions: Alex NJD

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, I wanna make it clear that Doug Wilson left Grier in a really bad spot.

The medical leave Doug Wilson/Joe Will era was a complete joke. The team was literally being run by no one. It was a runaway train.

That's when they gave Hertl that extension, which he didn't even make 2 years before they sent him outta there to Vegas. They should have cashed out then and there.

Mr. Career AHL GM Joe Will, who has been there forever as the assistant GM/AHL team GM/director of scouting.

That reminded me of when Brett Gurewitz went to rehab (only a couple of people will get this reference, certainly @Its Always Sundstrom) and no one knew who was running Epitaph records and the bands couldn't get ahold of anybody lol.

The team was literally being run by no one for a while there before Grier.

So while I don't think Grier has done a particularly good job, the team was absolutely in worse shape than we were when Shero took over for Lou.

Somehow Marc Edouard-Vlasic, who was cremated about 8 years ago is still under contract with the Sharks. And so is Couture. Grier inherited these guys, who were signed forever because of Doug Wilson. And so was Karlsson before they dumped him off. And even Hertl (who is much younger than any of them) who was signed when he shouldn't have been.

That weird transition period between Doug Wilson and Mike Grier was such a clown show. I don't think anyone was even running the team. Seriously. Joe Will isn't anybody. He's a JOKE.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
LOL I don’t see how Blake keeps his job after this.

If they hadn't made the playoffs I think he would have been axed. I can't imagine the leash is too long at this point. On the flip side, he made the hard decision to dump PLD rather than try to give it another year. Reminds me a little bit of Lou with Malakhov/McGillis/Mogilny. He made a mistake and wanted to move on.

Vilardi is the main part and he's talented but has a rough injury history. Iafallo is decent depth but not irreplaceable (didn't realize he was making 4 mil AAV). Kupari may be on the waiver fodder soon.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Grier taking Goodrow for free is dumb but he couldn't trade for him. Nobody is signing in San Jose. I don't mind this sort of move to get to the cap - teams aren't going to be offering a whole lot to get rid of their mistakes, and San Jose has to be pretty high on NTC lists apart from the Canadian teams.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The solution from Goodrow’s side was just to play better and be worth your contract. Self inflicted damage.

He was never going to play well enough for that salary. Nobody else was going to give him the money he got though.

In the end he got his money so its not that bad.

Reactions: My3Sons and Oneiro

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Usually I'm much more sympathetic than to throw out something heartless like ''You get paid $3.6 million to be a $1.2 million dollar player. STFU and deal with it''.

But in this case I'm really not.

If he has such a problem with it then he can always retire and leave that money on the table. Or go sign in Europe. Or even ask for a contract termination, but I bet you nobody else gives him more than half of what he's making and it'll only be a 1-2 year deal.

So suck it up and play for San Jose.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah I have no love for the Rangers but without a NMC or a full NTC sorry dude, that kind of stuff might happen especially when you take every nickel you can get and then some, which you're fully entitled to do but then you can't complain when they maneuver to get rid of your contract if you don't live up to it. It's not even like the Sharks were fifteenth in waiver claim and the Rangers called in some favors to make sure they specifically got him, they were first so yeah, tough ****.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Usually I'm much more sympathetic than to throw out something heartless like ''You get paid $3.6 million to be a $1.2 million dollar player. STFU and deal with it''.

But in this case I'm really not.

If he has such a problem with it then he can always retire and leave that money on the table. Or go sign in Europe. Or even ask for a contract termination, but I bet you nobody else gives him more than half of what he's making and it'll only be a 1-2 year deal.

So suck it up and play for San Jose.
Not to mention if you wanted a full NTC/NMC then take a couple hundred thousand less initially. The reason you got all the money you did is because you allowed them to have 'some' flexibility.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
He was a smart player but I can't even imagine Gomez as a head coach, BCHL or not.

All I can think is how he'd roast his guys and it would be hilarious and no one could take him seriously.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I keep seeing stuff about Gary and/or the NHL being upset about trades happening. Well reactions to them being upset, "if they didn't want this" "haha they are pissed." Whatever, but I havent seen anything from that side actually saying they didnt want this to happen or they are pissed about it in anyway. Did I miss that part?

Reactions: Guttersniped

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There's always been a bit of a tacit understanding that the league doesn't want trades overshadowing the SCF if possible, who knows how true that is and how much it's just an old wives' tale. I'm sure they probably don't (and it usually doesn't happen) but do they actually tell the teams or just assume they'll follow that 'unwritten rule'?

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
There's always been a bit of a tacit understanding that the league doesn't want trades overshadowing the SCF if possible, who knows how true that is and how much it's just an old wives' tale. I'm sure they probably don't (and it usually doesn't happen) but do they actually tell the teams or just assume they'll follow that 'unwritten rule'?
You would think that the league wouldn’t mind as it may bring more eyes back to a drawn out cup final.

The casual may see a breaking trade being reported and then following a discussion about the cup matchup and look and be like oh shit there’s a game on tonight and tune in.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Grier taking Goodrow for free is dumb but he couldn't trade for him. Nobody is signing in San Jose. I don't mind this sort of move to get to the cap - teams aren't going to be offering a whole lot to get rid of their mistakes, and San Jose has to be pretty high on NTC lists apart from the Canadian teams.
Is it possible San Jose could be receiving some sort of 'future consideration' in a trade this draft or off-season? Or would this go against the CBA in some capacity?

I wouldn't normally assume verbal agreements are a no-go; but when they evade a M-NTC I could see the issue

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You would think that the league wouldn’t mind as it may bring more eyes back to a drawn out cup final.

The casual may see a breaking trade being reported and then following a discussion about the cup matchup and look and be like oh shit there’s a game on tonight and tune in.
Could be a factor this year with the league jumping the shark having so many days between games

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I'm just saying, I see a whole lot of people jumping on the "lol why you so mad" train but have seen nothing to suggest anyone is actually upset about it.... Not saying it doesn't exist, but would like to know where that idea came from.

A lot of stuff like this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad