Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

TNT didnt do that for the last game... i'll bet they'll bring it back for the regular season.

it's moronic.

if you want to do that garbage have a ticker on the bottom of the screen that shows names on ice... the constant jumping on the screen is beyond distracting. i know i cant concentrate on the game... f***ing madness

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

I know it’s a change to increase league revenue but I would rather have 2 more regular season games over 2 of the preseason games.

Shortening the preseason has not worked well for the NFL in terms of quality of play nor injury prevention - though I'd imagine it has increased revenue.

Hockey "camp" is basically three days now before exhibition games start. Would hate to see it shortened even further.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Shortening the preseason has not worked well for the NFL in terms of quality of play nor injury prevention - though I'd imagine it has increased revenue.

Hockey "camp" is basically three days now before exhibition games start. Would hate to see it shortened even further.

I don't watch the NFL but didn't they only get rid of 1 week of camp and get rid of 1 preseason game? What's going on there that 1 week is making that big of a difference? Don't they still have like 3-4 weeks of camp and 3 pre-season games?

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

The NFL did the correct thing in my view. The fourth preseason game was just a final tryout for a handful of players. Teams were really only gearing up in three games. But I understand why it could be seen differently.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
i don't see how that benefits vegas at all?
They don't have to have him on LTIR, which means they can start the year under the cap honestly, instead of being into LTIR, so they can accrue cap space.

Functionally I don't think it matters that much. The LITR system is bullshit, I don't think having to put a dude on LTIR for years on end just so he gets paid out his money is really the best solution in general. I think there should probably be some sort of (with league or third party approval of some kind) injury retirement, where a player can receive his paycheck, but everybody acknowledges he's done so we don't have to do the LTIR game.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Honestly the way the whole cap works is kinda ridiculous. Just go to a "your roster must have AAVs that sum to less than the salary cap for each game, including playoffs" and be done with it.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
They don't have to have him on LTIR, which means they can start the year under the cap honestly, instead of being into LTIR, so they can accrue cap space.

Functionally I don't think it matters that much. The LITR system is bullshit, I don't think having to put a dude on LTIR for years on end just so he gets paid out his money is really the best solution in general. I think there should probably be some sort of (with league or third party approval of some kind) injury retirement, where a player can receive his paycheck, but everybody acknowledges he's done so we don't have to do the LTIR game.

This could potentially open up ~$6.7M in cap space at the deadline that Vegas otherwise would not have had if they had to spend the season in LTIR.

i get that, but wasn’t it reported that he never showed up for camp? so instead of being able to terminate his contract for a breach, now they have to pay him real dollars?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
i get that, but wasn’t it reported that he never showed up for camp? so instead of being able to terminate his contract for a breach, now they have to pay him real dollars?

Yes, that is the downside for Vegas - but I highly, highly doubt they're doing that out of the goodness of their heart versus trying to avoid any battles with the NHL/NHLPA that could result in that contract remaining on the books.

Here's what I just posted on the mainboards as being the issue I have with this:

The unfair part if the precedent that this sets moving forward. I don't know the specifics of this particular situation, but what's to stop a team/player in the future from working out an agreement that the otherwise LTIR player not show up for his physical and the team just pays him out the rest of his contract, as is the case here?

From a player's perspective - you're getting your money either way and it saves you a trip. From the team's perspective, it may cost you real money (depending on how the situation impacts insurance vs. the team paying out the rest of the contract), but if it allows your team to avoid having to be stuck on LTIR all season, any additional cost may be worth it.

Regardless on how this all came together, it is clearly a competitive advantage for Vegas to have Lehner off the books completely versus LTIR and the league seems to have no problem with it. Meanwhile, the league docked the Devils draft picks and fined them for the Kovalchuk contact (yes, I'm still bitter) that was never even approved in the first place and thus had absolutely zero benefit for the team out of some "spirit of the CBA" bullshit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad