Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
These guys are freaking morons…

Which is why they are successful podcasters.
I can safely say I have never listened to a single episode of their podcast. But then there are very few hockey podcasts I listen to anyway. It's mostly The Athletic Hockey Show, Puck Soup, and 32 Thoughts (which I haven't even listened to since Marek isn't doing it anymore). And Faceoff Hockey Show, but that's mostly because I've listened to them for years now. And listening to them fumble through Puckdoku, Immaculate Grid, and the new pyramid game every week is pretty amusing.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I can safely say I have never listened to a single episode of their podcast. But then there are very few hockey podcasts I listen to anyway. It's mostly The Athletic Hockey Show, Puck Soup, and 32 Thoughts (which I haven't even listened to since Marek isn't doing it anymore). And Faceoff Hockey Show, but that's mostly because I've listened to them for years now. And listening to them fumble through Puckdoku, Immaculate Grid, and the new pyramid game every week is pretty amusing.
IMG_9507.jpeg

It’s just sad to see what the most popular podcasts are in this country. We are doomed

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean it probably wasn’t realistic but it’s really no difference cap wise

Swayman - 8-9 million

Mercer - 4 million
Markstrom - 6 million

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

I've said it before, but they're at their best when they simply have a more interesting guest on to shoot the shit with. I can't fathom how someone could listen to their episodes that sometimes approach 3-4 hours in length on a weekly basis.

When they do certain content, like having a retired player (specifically ex-Devils) or they do their sandbagger golf episodes on YouTube, it's entertaining stuff. Everything else is a pass for me.

I'm still a loyal Puck Soup listener, but the old days with Wysh and Lozo were the best. I like Sean McIndoe, but Lambert can be grating at times. He's better than he used to be though.

Reactions: MadDevil

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
View attachment 911252
It’s just sad to see what the most popular podcasts are in this country. We are doomed
I think I lost brain cells just looking at that image.:laugh:

I used to listen a ton of podcasts but now I've pretty much whittled it down to like a dozen or so I listen to regularly, and some of the history related ones I've listened to multiple times (Hardcore History is still the best, even if Dan only does like 2 or 3 big episodes a year). I pretty much stopped listening to any podcasts that discuss current events outside of hockey and weird news stories. I get more than enough of that angering and depressing shit doomscrolling on Twitter too much, especially the last few months.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I think I lost brain cells just looking at that image.:laugh:

I used to listen a ton of podcasts but now I've pretty much whittled it down to like a dozen or so I listen to regularly, and some of the history related ones I've listened to multiple times (Hardcore History is still the best, even if Dan only does like 2 or 3 big episodes a year). I pretty much stopped listening to any podcasts that discuss current events outside of hockey and weird news stories. I get more than enough of that angering and depressing shit doomscrolling on Twitter too much, especially the last few months.
Hardcore history is soooooo good. The 5? part series where he went through WW1 was probably one of the most eye opening things I've ever listened too. But then once I finished I told other people about it and it was just gone from apple.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hardcore history is my favorite too. Dan is amazing
I've listened to some of his podcasts and found them very good. If you like history podcasts there is one by two British historians called The Rest is History that is also very good. Somewhere along the line they actually had Dan on as a guest to discuss history's biggest questions or something along those lines. Their show covers numerous topics and while the hosts try to inject a bit of light humor it relies on academic sources so you do get what should be a genuine historical account of whatever topic they are covering.

Reactions: TrufleShufle

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
subtract out Mercer and Markstrom's cap hits and add in Swayman and what do you get? take your time!
sure

you would still have 64 million tied up in an unproven goalie for 8 years while also having to replace the production/contract of mercer which say is 2 million (3 years) for someone cheap. 70 million in that situation compared to the 20 that mercer/markstrom is costing the team which both have outs in the short term

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
sure

you would still have 64 million tied up in an unproven goalie for 8 years while also having to replace the production/contract of mercer which say is 2 million (3 years) for someone cheap. 70 million in that situation compared to the 20 that mercer/markstrom is costing the team which both have outs in the short term

Swayman is not unproven. Yes, I would give 8 years to him and maybe only him as far as goalies are concerned.

Again, moot point because it was never happening. But worrying about the cap in 2024 is so pointless. Who cares. Dump Bastian for a 2028 7th. Trade Palat with a pick next summer if you have to. Etc etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad