Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
They really didn’t have a lot of tradeable assets besides Cory that they sat on. I doubt Greene and Zajac would have even brought back much more than they did as deadline rental deals years later.
Zajac could be retained. As retained he was very interesting piece after the first Shero season.
Henrique was interesting trade piece in the first summer, very interesting after second summer.
Palmieri was a great piece in the second Shero summer.
Cammalieri was interesting piece as in the first as in the second summer of Shero.
Green could bring late first or second round.

Plus Schneider.

It would be enough, especially if Devils would save most of the picks Shero wasted over and over again.

He could go in abosultely other way. But now we should say thanks for his mistakability, because even if he was wrong, he was luck. Without it we would not have Nico and Jack. And most likely Luke and Simon. But again - This is not a consequence of his plan - it is a consequence of his incompetence, mistakes and luck.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Zajac could be retained. As retained he was very interesting piece after the first Shero season.
Henrique was interesting trade piece in the first summer, very interesting after second summer.
Palmieri was a great piece in the second Shero summer.
Cammalieri was interesting piece as in the first as in the second summer of Shero.
Green could bring late first or second round.

Plus Schneider.

It would be enough, especially if Devils would save most of the picks Shero wasted over and over again.

He could go in abosultely other way. But now we should say thanks for his mistakability, because even if he was wrong, he was luck. Without it we would not have Nico and Jack. And most likely Luke and Simon. But again - This is not a consequence of his plan - it is a consequence of his incompetence, mistakes and luck.

Even Zajac retained is not bringing back a whole lot because of his absolute disaster 14-15 and the fact that he still had 5 years left on his contract.

Selling a 26 year old player signed to a very fair long-term deal for futures doesn't make any sense.

Cammalleri was not an interesting piece at any point, he was an old player signed to a 5 year contract. He had a nice 2015-16, but no one's taking that contract on without retention.

Ownership didn't want the huge tank, or they would've hired someone to do that. They should've done that. They didn't.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Palmieri was someone Shero traded for, he wasn’t going to pump and dump him, he wanted him as a long term solution and signed him long term. Greene Zajac did bring back a first when Fitz traded him anyway.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Even Zajac retained is not bringing back a whole lot because of his absolute disaster 14-15 and the fact that he still had 5 years left on his contract.

Selling a 26 year old player signed to a very fair long-term deal for futures doesn't make any sense.

Cammalleri was not an interesting piece at any point, he was an old player signed to a 5 year contract. He had a nice 2015-16, but no one's taking that contract on without retention.

Ownership didn't want the huge tank, or they would've hired someone to do that. They should've done that. They didn't.
Like I said in the second summer retained Zajac would bring enough.

Selling any full rebuild player older than 23 years has tonns of sense.

Cammalleri was a very good player, there were a lot gms who would take, especially after pre Shero season. Retain would help.

We don't know what ownership wanted in the moment they hired Shero. There were no assets for doing something- they didn't. There were enough assets to sell like we see and start full rebuild. For retool Shero made not enough of moves too, didn't understand how to build defense and made tonns of gamble. Couple of them even worked. Most of them didn't. Its not like he wasn't good in rebuilding- he didn't do rebuild. But he wasn't goid in retooling - as from perspective if activity, as from perspective of team building. But he made right decision with two core picks, he hired good euro scouts to find good later round picks. Reason why he isn't gm is obvious, may be time will give more luck again and he will replace some gm who already built most of what he should rebuild.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's a lot of inertia that comes with player reputation. Blackwood came into the league and had a strong run early, so that's the mental landmark people go to. Neverminded the fact that he's been terrible for YEARS, people will always default to their priors and look for excuses.

With Blackwood, "oh it's not his fault, New Jersey is bad defensively!" and then "oh it's not his fault, San Jose is bad defensively!" and "well, everyone else on the team has worse stats!"
This is definitely not exclusive to the Sharks or the Sharks fanbase.

It's the same shit over in Anaheim. John Gibson is still a really good goalie if you ask them. He's just stuck on a bad team. The worst defensive team in the history of hockey if you ask them. And then the Sharks fans think it's actually they who have the worst (defensive) team in the history of hockey. And I'm sure the fans in Chicago are saying similar about their team, same with much of the other bottom feeders.

Not to mention, there was at least a contingent of our fanbase convinced that we were also in the running for that under Ruff lol.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
How much of Shero’s holding onto players who wanted to stay was an attempt to revise the team atmosphere from the Lou years? They seem to want to be player friendly and keeping guys they signed who wanted to be there might have been seen as good for the culture and messaging. We know that Hischier greatly admired Greene for example. The team as a group seem happy to play for the franchise which is something of a contrast from reports scattered over the Lou years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’ve only half paid attention to this conversation, so this comment I’m about to make may be of no relevance.

But I don’t think Shero would have kept Palmieri if he were still here when Palmieri’s deal was about to expire.

I think he would have traded him, along with Zajac. Just like he did with the guys he acquired who he shipped out anyway. Like Marcus Johansson and Hall. And I’m sure he also would have shipped off the other guys Fitz shipped off also, like Greene and Coleman.

The only differences may have been who those guys were traded to and what they were traded for.

The only way I could have seen Palmieri being retained is if the 19-20 season didn’t go the way it did. And the 20-21 season was also successful. If the rebuild was pretty much over by 2021, maybe he keeps Palmieri.

It’s still only a maybe though.

My3Sons

Sponsor

Really agree with this post it’s a great idea. Teams should be able to showcase they are current owners of the cup. Hell even let teams put a small imprint of the cup on the ice with how many they have won.
the cup itself is definitely a good marketing icon for the league. Even casual sports fans recognize it as the oldest trophy competed for in North American professional sports and the cup celebration after a team wins with the presentation and the skating around and the handoffs is like nothing else in sports. The Lombardi is probably second but it's a relatively recent phenomenon and I don't think anyone cares about the MLB trophy or the NBA trophy as things in and of themselves.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Swayman holds out into the season and Korpisalo is all they've got, that could turn out to be like the time Nabokov held out for the Sharks in 2002 and they were down to a very green combo of Kiprusoff and Toskala.

It wound up getting everyone fired from Daryl Sutter not too long into the season to even Dean Lombardi before the season even ended.

And that was after a pretty good several years of successful seasons, where they were even winning some playoff rounds.

That could be the end of both Montgomery and Sweeney, if things went that badly.

My3Sons

Sponsor
If Swayman holds out into the season and Korpisalo is all they've got, that could turn out to be like the time Nabokov held out for the Sharks in 2002 and they were down to a very green combo of Kiprusoff and Toskala.

It wound up getting everyone fired from Daryl Sutter not too long into the season to even Dean Lombardi before the season even ended.

And that was after a pretty good several years of successful seasons, where they were even winning some playoff rounds.

That could be the end of both Montgomery and Sweeney, if things went that badly.
Korpseisalo

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Brad Stuart also held out that season and didn't sign until mid-November. As I remember it, him and Nabokov didn't exactly hit the ground running once they rejoined the team.

I had Kiprusoff in my keeper league at that point. I asked my roommate (Sharks fan) how he looked in his short time as the de facto starter and unfortunately was told that Kipper looked awful. I traded him a few months later. Whoops.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Brad Stuart also held out that season and didn't sign until mid-November. As I remember it, him and Nabokov didn't exactly hit the ground running once they rejoined the team.

I had Kiprusoff in my keeper league at that point. I asked my roommate (Sharks fan) how he looked in his short time as the de facto starter and unfortunately was told that Kipper looked awful. I traded him a few months later. Whoops.
So did they lol. Well, it was almost a year later!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So did they lol. Well, it was almost a year later!

Sutter would become coach/GM in Calgary and traded for Kiprusoff, so he must have seen something in him during their time in San Jose.

Fun what if: Apparently there was a deal in place to send Evgeni Nabokov to LA for Rob Blake circa the 2007 trade deadline. Sharks were flip flopping between Nabokov/Toskala and were seemingly ready to go with Toskala as the #1. LA was desperate for goaltending post-lockout. But Blake, who had just returned to LA and wasn't ready to move again, blocked the move with his NTC. Nabokov would reclaim the starter gig and San Jose would pivot and trade Toskala at the 2007 Draft (and eventually landed Logan Couture with the picks).

Comically Blake would sign with San Jose as a free agent in the summer of 2008.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad