Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Blues needed to get their 2025 2nd back to sign Dylan Holloway to an offer sheet. Apparently back in the summer of 2008, Tampa wanted to sign Andrej Meszaros to an offer sheet but they were missing their 2009 3rd because they had traded it to Pittsburgh for Ryan Malone. Tampa tried to get it back but Ray Shero didn't want to enable them.

In the end, Tampa and Ottawa made a trade where the Sens got Filip Kuba and San Jose's 1st (acquired from the Dan Boyle deal). If Tampa had gone the offer sheet route like they originally intended, it would have been their own 1st which eventually became the Victor Hedman pick.

Before they traded for Phil Kessel, Toronto went out of its way to reacquire its 2010 2nd rounder in order to have a threat of an offer sheet.

-------------

Pretty sure on the main board somebody pitched an offer sheet to Broberg several weeks back. I pointed out that it wasn't likely since nobody had the cap space + picks + motivation and that Broberg would have to be willing to risk leaving a Cup contender. I guess I didn't anticipate a Torey Krug long term injury suddenly freeing up a bunch of cap space.

why wouldn't Edmonton match both of those immediately? lol

Days like this I miss CapFriendly as I'm not quite 100% confident in quoting the alternate sites. But it seems like the Oilers were at the cap while expecting to have some LTIR space with Evander Kane (5.125 mil). I haven't had my morning caffeine yet, so they seemingly would have to eventually make a subsequent move to get under the cap if they matched both offer sheets. I hadn't kept track, but I was under the impression that Kane would return at some point next season which would cause more cap gymnastics.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
they dont have any cap space and thats too much for broberg

That was always part of my rationale about why offer sheets rarely happen as a team would usually have to overpay in salary and risk rocking the boat of their own internal salary structure. I can imagine that Jake Neighbours' agent is happy with the news as he's set to be RFA next offseason. If they have any contract difficulty they could check in with Edmonton to see if they'd like to do a retaliatory offer sheet potentially.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I like it for St. Louis - no, Broberg isn't worth $4.2M now, but maybe he's worth that next season and he's not UFA until 2028. They don't have any other young D like this. UFAs are expensive and corrode quickly. I think Broberg's probably worth 2 2nds in a trade, but for a team like St. Louis who is unlikely to acquire anyone over Kyrou and Thomas's $8.25M deals, they have room for plenty of guys making the NHL average.

Bummer for St. Louis that Broberg wasn't born a week later or he'd be UFA in 2029.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Yeah I think the Broberg offer sheet makes sense. STL can afford to waste money trying to turn him into a quality NHL player after getting him for a probable value discount, and EDM really shouldn't match given their situation.

Holloway I think they just did to force EDM's hand a little, and I suspect they don't expect to get him.

It's smart GMing but lets see how the norms loving GMs respond.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
they dont have any cap space and thats too much for broberg

but you can go 10% over the cap in the summer, and Kane is likely going to LTIR. You can figure out the rest later.

It sure is too much but idk. Seems a little weird for STL to target these specific players.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
but you can go 10% over the cap in the summer, and Kane is likely going to LTIR. You can figure out the rest later.

It sure is too much but idk. Seems a little weird for STL to target these specific players.

It still leaves them $2M over with Kane on LTIR. There isn't a 'the rest'.

I think it makes perfect sense for STL to target these players. Edmonton is at the cap and Broberg can't be thrilled with how he's been treated there the last 3 years. It's hard to get players to sign offer sheets at the thresholds below a 1st round pick.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

When they signed Ryan Suter a few weeks back, the Blues announced that Torey Krug was injured and that he might miss all of next season if ankle surgery was required. So in theory targeting a guy like Broberg makes some sense especially with their D getting a bit older. Most of the Blues top prospects are forwards and they didn't really have a blue chip D prospect challenging for an NHL spot in the next couple of years.

Problem for Edmonton is if/when Kane gets cleared and then they're suddenly way over the cap. Clearing that might be easier said than done. Calgary had to fork over a 1st (with a bunch of conditions) to dump Sean Monahan in order to fit Nazem Kadri a couple years ago. Even with Kane's contract on LTIR, I think they'd still be over the cap if they matched both offer sheets.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around where Holloway fits for St. Louis or if that was just to put more pressure on not matching Broberg.

Edit: Hastily entered it into Excel and I have the Oilers just under the cap at 87.311 assuming they have a couple league minimum deals to round out their forward group (and with Kane on LTIR). So the problem will be carving out the cap space when Kane does get cleared.

Edit to the edit: CapFriendly had previously listed that Edmonton had incurred a 3.45 mil overage penalty towards this year's cap. So that puts them over the cap if they match Broberg even with Kane on LTIR.

Last edited:

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
probably match 1 and not the other.

8 mil is tough to clear when the whole
League knows ur back is up against the wall. Then again the nhl is full of favors so who knows

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Edmonton also used its 2025 1st (lottery protected) to trade for pick #32 at this year's draft, so they might wouldn't have that to attach as a cap dump. The remaining D market seems pretty rough if they need to find a Broberg replacement. A few past their prime D including Justin Schultz and Tyson Barrie who already had stops in Edmonton. Worst case, suddenly Cody Ceci is getting second pair minutes again.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Brown/Stecher

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Now that the seal is broken on offer sheets this summer … anyone scared Mercer signs one?

I think right now the standstill is the team wants bridge-length cheap or full-length pricy… and Mercer wants bridge-length pricy. The Broberg deal is basically that. If someone offers a slightly higher Broberg deal (say, 5.5 mil a year for 2 years). Do the Devils match or take compensation?

I think it’d be a really good idea to get Mercer signed in the next week. If Edmonton does somehow match on Broberg, St Louis will move on to another target.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Now that the seal is broken on offer sheets this summer … anyone scared Mercer signs one?

I'm not too worried, most of the teams with cap space have their own RFAs to worry about. It took a long term injury to Torey Krug to get St. Louis to go the offer sheet route.

Dallas (4.69 mil) -- Thomas Harley RFA
Seattle (5.6 mil) -- Matt Beniers RFA
New Jersey (5.75 mil) -- Dawson Mercer RFA
Columbus (6.49 mil)
Winnipeg (6.6 mil) -- Cole Perfetti RFA
Montreal (7.9 mil)
Carolina (8.275 mil) -- Seth Jarvis RFA
Boston (8.57 mil) -- Jeremy Swayman RFA
Buffalo (9.37 mil)
Utah (9.92 mil)
San Jose (13.3 mil)
Detroit (17.6 mil) -- Moritz Seider + Lucas Raymond RFA
Anaheim (21.7 mil)
Calgary (21.7 mil)

To get us to even think for a second about matching, a team would have to be in the 1st+3rd compensation range. Calgary doesn't have its 3rd from the Monahan cap dump. I don't think Anaheim or San Jose are in a spot to give up an unprotected 1st. Utah and Buffalo just seem unlikely. Montreal seemingly is set at forward.

Usually the teams who have the cap space + picks tend to be the rebuilding teams that wouldn't risk their 1st. Krug's injury was maybe an extenuating circumstance that opened up cap space and motivation for St. Louis to pursue Broberg.

I would have felt safe betting money on Glass being a 50-60 point forward by now. I did a weekend field trip to visit a friend and took in a Spokane@Portland game in 2018 so I could watch Glass take on Ty Smith. Maybe not exactly a hockey trip I'd brag about, but at least it was a teddy bear toss game.

I remember Paul Castron going out of his way to mention Cody Glass leading up to the 2017 Draft. Almost like a hint that would have been our pick had we not won the lottery and moved up.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

I think right now the standstill is the team wants bridge-length cheap or full-length pricy… and Mercer wants bridge-length pricy. The Broberg deal is basically that. If someone offers a slightly higher Broberg deal (say, 5.5 mil a year for 2 years). Do the Devils match or take compensation?

I think it’d be a really good idea to get Mercer signed in the next week. If Edmonton does somehow match on Broberg, St Louis will move on to another target.

hmm... 5.5M = a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. ...intriguing but how long are those players going to take in development to be ready to play on the roster? (even if they ever do make the team)

the old "it could be a boat" family guy meme

edit:

removed wrong compensation numbers

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
hmm... 5.5M = a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. ...intriguing but how long are those players going to take in development to be ready to play on the roster? (even if they ever do make the team)

the old "it could be a boat" family guy meme

---

OFFER SHEET COMPENSATION

$1,110,249 or below... None

Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194... 3rd Round

Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391... 2nd Round

Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585... 1st Round and 3rd Round

Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781... 1st Round, 2nd Round, and 3rd Round

Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976... Two 1st Rounds, 2nd Round, and 3rd Round

Over $8,410,976... Four 1st Rounds

That looks like a scale from an older year. At any rate, I'm not overly worried since there's not many teams who have the cap space, motivation, and required picks to go the offer sheet route.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

I'm not scared, offer sheets never happen.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I heard Sam Rosen is retiring after next season. I wonder if he's gonna retire the toupee too?

The Rangers should send him off with a cup.

Like a case of those souvenir ones from the stands

off to the glue factory!

take homer joe "derek stepan is one of the greatest american players of all time" micheletti with you

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad