Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Look at what they did with no experience and a fairly mediocre supporting cast in ‘23.

The D is on par if not better if you’re being conservative about Luke and Nemec’s rate of improvement. Forwards are at best a wash to me but a deadline deal could change that.

I’d once again argue that the East is absurdly weak. Old teams hanging on when the key cogs don’t deliver anymore, rebuilding teams that can’t put it together. Florida, really, is a mediocre champion relative to TB and COL cup winners. I think their troubles closing bear that point out and I don’t think they faced a formidable team the entire time. COVID created a power vacuum because of cap and development constraints. Younger players taking more time, contenders unable to add. A lot of mush.

Our team has a major opportunity, I see why Fitz hit the gas.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the Canes will probably be fine. Not really a contender though. This was probably their last chance to really do some damage for a while and Andersen laid a gigantic egg to the Rangers. An even bigger egg than Raanta laid against them in 2022, considering Raanta only choked away the last two games or particularly the sixth game. Andersen got outplayed by Igor massively pretty much every game. And the one game where he kept the goals against very low he only had to face like below 20 shots.

And the egg he laid in game 6 was unforgivably bad. So bad that I'm surprised he wasn't exiled off the team and dropped into the toxic waste dump that are the Chicago Blackhawks. If they're serious about still staying strong then they need to hand the keys over to Kochetkov.

Washington probably got a little bit better, but here's the thing with them, they overachieved so much last year that maybe that'll come back on them this year. I don't think they look like a good team coming up for this year, but 85-90 points is fairly believable. Last year's Capitals were probably a 75-80 point team on paper, especially without 40-50 goal scoring Ovechkin.

They cleared considerable washed up dead weight like Kuemper and Oshie, and got a better goalie. PLD is somehow an upgrade of whoever they had last year in that role, but he's also on an absolutely brutal contract and seems to sulk his way off of every team. They also lost washed up deadweight Oshie to LTIR, who was absolutely and utterly cooked. Lindgren overachieved last year, maybe he plays a little closer this year to what we saw Kuemper play like last year.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
One thing I didn't think about the Buffalo trade is that this is the first time Adams has shown any concept of building a team with an identity. It gives hope that Buffalo may one day make the playoffs with him managing the team.

Of course the value given up is bonkers, but you're able to do that with 10+ years of accumulated top 15 draft picks.
You hit the nail on the head here. This is due in large part to Lindy, who clearly has an idea for how he wants this team to play. Adams is deliberately getting guys who fit what he wants to do, which is a major step forward for this organization.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
can crosby hit 2000pts? sid needs 404 more i think if he is close towards the end of his contract he will absolutely stick around to complete it esp with 1 team.

gotta think mcdavid should easily cruise past 2000pts sure neither will challenge waynes record but its crazy to think it only took 1 cycle of players and probably 2 players crack 2000pts

ovie will get the goal record and matthews will maybe challenge it.

like what would prime wayne be putting up in todays nhl? we all seen the films from the 80s and the lack of goaltending just crazy if wayne wasn't 10 years ahead of the 80s competition these guys would be rewriting the nhl record book

will someone pass the 2857pts?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Hopefully they get the interface and streaming parts right. I'll be curious how far away the market will extend from Dallas.

Yeah, hoping this works well for them and other teams replicate the model. Also rumors that Nashville is going to a similar model this upcoming season.

The $30 monthly cost for MSG+ is insane. I only care about watching Devils games - being able to stream the Rangers, Knicks, Islanders and whatever other crap they toss on the platform is meaningless. I'd sooner just not watch games than pay for that service. Fortunately there are still some alternative options out there.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

1720457479361.png

Seems about right to have Markstrom at #11.

Can't really argue too much with the top 15 or so.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Yeah, hoping this works well for them and other teams replicate the model. Also rumors that Nashville is going to a similar model this upcoming season.

The $30 monthly cost for MSG+ is insane. I only care about watching Devils games - being able to stream the Rangers, Knicks, Islanders and whatever other crap they toss on the platform is meaningless. I'd sooner just not watch games than pay for that service. Fortunately there are still some alternative options out there.
Add to the fact that the MSG+ site and app work about, oh I’d say, 1 out of every 100 attempts. It’s the freaking worst.

Reactions: longislanddevil

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Umm... Freddy Anderson in the top 15?

Yeah, that one jumped out a bit to me at first as well...then when I looked at it a bit more, I don't think I'd drop him more than 2-3 spots on the list.

Andersen has a .918 SV% and 2.22 GAA in his 3 seasons as a starter in Carolina, though his SV% drops to .910 in the playoffs (with a similar 2.24 GAA).

He'll be 35 at the start of the season, which as we all now know is not remotely old for a goalie ;)

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yeah, that one jumped out a bit to me at first as well...then when I looked at it a bit more, I don't think I'd drop him more than 2-3 spots on the list.

Andersen has a .918 SV% and 2.22 GAA in his 3 seasons as a starter in Carolina, though his SV% drops to .910 in the playoffs (with a similar 2.24 GAA).

He'll be 35 at the start of the season, which as we all now know is not remotely old for a goalie ;)
Freddy Andersen is a very good goalie.

His issue is staying healthy.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Freddy Andersen is a very good goalie.

His issue is staying healthy.
Not anymore.

He used to be really good, but he's been pretty inconsistent from year to year and all over the place since 19-20.

He had a really good 21-22, which looks more like a one off comeback year than anything.

He only played 16 games this last year where he had that .932%. I don't at all buy that he has those numbers if he played 40 games.

He was also a complete and utter joke against the Rangers. The Canes scored more goals on the Rangers than the Panthers did in the same number of games. The difference is that Bob wasn't a complete and utter failure and joke in his series against them.

It depends what you consider ''Very good''. I consider maybe the first 10 on that list ''Very good''.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Not anymore.

He used to be really good, but he's been pretty inconsistent from year to year and all over the place since 19-20.

He had a really good 21-22, which looks more like a one off comeback year than anything.

He only played 16 games this last year where he had that .932%. I don't at all buy that he has those numbers if he played 40 games.

He was also a complete and utter joke against the Rangers. The Canes scored more goals on the Rangers than the Panthers did in the same number of games. The difference is that Bob wasn't a complete and utter failure and joke in his series against them.

It depends what you consider ''Very good''. I consider maybe the first 10 on that list ''Very good''.
Over the last 3 years Freddy Andersen ranks 6th in overall GSAx.

He also ranks 6th in playoff GSAx with 10 GSAx in 19 games.

Reactions: Desert Devil

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Over the last 3 years Freddy Andersen ranks 6th in overall GSAx.

He also ranks 6th in playoff GSAx with 10 GSAx in 19 games.
I guess this means he wasn't really bad against the Rangers then.

I'd love to see the splits for that chokejob. Just that series alone.

And that's exactly what it was. A chokejob.

Umm... Freddy Anderson in the top 15?
I'm surprised worthless, washed up John Gibson isn't in the top 15 or even top 20.

Good job voters.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I guess this means he wasn't really bad against the Rangers then.

I'd love to see the splits for that chokejob. Just that series alone.

And that's exactly what it was. A chokejob.

I'm surprised worthless, washed up John Gibson isn't in the top 15 or even top 20.

Good job voters.
-0.09 GSAx in that series.

It just looked a lot worse because Shesterkin on the otherside had 6 GSAx in 6 games, (ridiculous series)

Reactions: Desert Devil

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

i caught about 75 games sailing the high seas last season from home...the others i watched either on hotel tv or at an airbnb with one of those tv plug in sticks....and a few on radio (including one leafs game right the end of the season where i was making amazing money 20 feet down in a sewer doing repairs. the game where bratt scored with like a minute and change left...i wasnt gonna miss devils hockey if i didnt have to...lol)

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
52, 53, 56, 57 and 63

where's my bingo card?

oh my!
Some of that also has to do with the team they were behind; I find the odds would be in favor of this over the idea that we so happened to employ five of the twelve worst goalies, and by choice

Though Im also not insinuating the defense was bad enough to cause all of that - they were still mediocre to poor goalies; I just dont see mediocre as starting at 52nd

Reactions: njdevils1982

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's worse than the Holtz/Schmid trade. Savoie is only 20 years old, drafted 9th overall in the 2022 draft. Two years and they gave up on a top prospect?

They didn't necessarily "give up". They overpaid, but for a very good player that fills a need for them. I really am not certain it's worse than the Holtz trade. At worst it's about the same, all things considered. If Markstrom tanks, which honestly shouldn't surprise anyone, it's easily better than that trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad