Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
the broadcast companies scratching their heads on how to make the camera angles work in utah

1720219321927.png

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Oiler fans make it seem like Ryan wasn't really doing well at center and they needed Henrique because of that.

If that's true then Mikey was trending to be the better center of the two.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
It's hard to stand out on a team with McDavid and Draisaitl. To my eye, Ryan has always been a better player than Mikey. But I don't have stats to back it up.
His offensive game is better, stats alone would suggest; but Michael McLeod was excellent in his two-way game and was one of the best faceoff takers league-wide

Ryan may be the better player but it would have been interesting to see the growth on the other side; now he can kick rocks

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Oiler fans make it seem like Ryan wasn't really doing well at center and they needed Henrique because of that.

If that's true then Mikey was trending to be the better center of the two.
Ryan is getting crapped on in large part due to recency bias as he didn't have a great playoffs.

His offensive game is better, stats alone would suggest; but Michael McLeod was excellent in his two-way game and was one of the best faceoff takers league-wide

Ryan may be the better player but it would have been interesting to see the growth on the other side; now he can kick rocks
He's not going to be kicking rocks, he's going to be breaking them.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Ryan is getting crapped on in large part due to recency bias as he didn't have a great playoffs.

He's not going to be kicking rocks, he's going to be breaking them.
I doubt hes charged with anything; his second charge wreaks of a prosecutor's team trying to leverage McLeod's testimony against his peers

But I also doubt he ever gets another shot in NJ or the NHL, even without charges; him getting off would be on technicality (and why they brought forward the second charge only for him, otherwise itd never make it to trial)

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I doubt hes charged with anything; his second charge wreaks of a prosecutor's team trying to leverage McLeod's testimony against his peers

But I also doubt he ever gets another shot in NJ or the NHL, even without charges; him getting off would be on technicality (and why they brought forward the second charge only for him, otherwise itd never make it to trial)

i find the use of the expression of "him getting off" amusing in your post considering the allegations

Reactions: The 29th Pick

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I can’t tell if this offseason is telling you that more GMs were emboldened by Edmonton’s success or Florida’s.

Either way, a lot of dumb stuff.

Reactions: Bleedred

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Ryan has more skill but Mike is bigger, plays a phyiscal game, and is much better at faceoffs.

He's kinda a C/W the same way that Zacha/Sharangovich/Haula are.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think speed is multiplicative in how hard it is for opponents to handle.

If you have a few guys that you are fast, your opponents make sure their fast guys get out there against them. If you have more fast guys than the opponent then every one they can’t match creates a nice advantage.

If both teams have a focal point that they’re better at then it becomes who can make their focal point the important one. It’s when teams try to be everything that I think they can’t find ways to overwhelm opponents; you end up better at nothing by trying to be ok at everything.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Where you said “East was really weak in mid” I took it you were discussing the competition for the wild card too. But I was not disagreeing with you anyway. Either place. I think we will be facing hard competition. We are quite improved on paper. But I take nothing for granted.
On my taste there are some issues with offensive depth but its not like we are the only team with it.
And... thats all. Defensive depth and goalie depth are great. Even with only four top players we have enough fire power.

Only if health will not ruin this team like it did 0revios season. I think health is the most important part.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
One thing I didn't think about the Buffalo trade is that this is the first time Adams has shown any concept of building a team with an identity. It gives hope that Buffalo may one day make the playoffs with him managing the team.

Of course the value given up is bonkers, but you're able to do that with 10+ years of accumulated top 15 draft picks.

Camille the Eel

On my taste there are some issues with offensive depth but its not like we are the only team with it.
And... thats all. Defensive depth and goalie depth are great. Even with only four top players we have enough fire power.

Only if health will not ruin this team like it did 0revios season. I think health is the most important part.
n.b. - this is probably not on topic with this thread so much any more but . . .

I am still concerned with the youth and inexperience of Luke Hughes and Nemec and - paradoxically - the fact that we have nearly too many skilled players.

There is only one puck. Jack, Luke, Simon, Meier, Hamilton. and Bratt all want it on their sticks a lot of the time. Keefe’s job is to reduce all of these guys under the same regime.

I worry about Jack Hughes above all. Health and how he fits in. Because he’s been the team. It’s been his club and as goes Jack so have gone the Devils the past two years. Does that continue under the new dispensation and under what conditions? I also worry how to incorporate Hamilton with Luke and Simon.

All my pre season . . . worries? Not really, rather questions I pose myself. I do think that barring injuries we will be around 100 points and not out of the hunt this year like last one but will we blend together under a Keefe system well enough to be 5 games better than that and to be a lock on a playoff spot?

Reactions: Guadana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad