Around the NHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I watched that Game 7, and there is no doubt in my mind that hockey is a good notch below what was going on in our division. Those teams would have been absolutely manhandled by TB, Carolina, Colorado types of teams.

And I have to admit... Shea really does look about done. They still played him a lot of minutes, but it was fairly painful to watch him. :(
That's the scary part if you are a Toronto fan, it's not like their 1st line got shut down by Bergeron's line, or MacKinnon, or even Barkov. Heck if it wasn't for Spezza and Nylander that series would have been even uglier.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
They were without Tavares almost all series and Muzzin for Game 7. Still doesn't excuse blowing a 3-1 lead to a team that most likely doesn't make the playoffs in a normal year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I was browsing the trade forum thread about the Canucks. If Jim Benning is going to be aggressive about improving his team... well they sure have Expansion protection room, both at F and D... I would be happy to send them Duchene and Ellis, say. Ellis is good, Duchene... might be. Cap-wise if we had to take the remaining year on Louie Eriksson or Jay Beagle or something like that and just bury those players, I don't think that should be an issue for us. We can take those contracts if we are moving Duchene and Ellis... and getting some good draft picks back. :dunno:

Reactions: hockey diva

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I was browsing the trade forum thread about the Canucks. If Jim Benning is going to be aggressive about improving his team... well they sure have Expansion protection room, both at F and D... I would be happy to send them Duchene and Ellis, say. Ellis is good, Duchene... might be. Cap-wise if we had to take the remaining year on Louie Eriksson or Jay Beagle or something like that and just bury those players, I don't think that should be an issue for us. We can take those contracts if we are moving Duchene and Ellis... and getting some good draft picks back. :dunno:

Your argument makes no sense from a logic exercise. If Ellis and Duchene are worthless, why would Vancouver give us"good draft picks" and take back more salary than we would be taking from them??

Duchene isnt worthless he is just massively overpaid. It matters if we need the cap space but we probably dont. So just suck it up and hope he can find some semblance of his former self playing with Joey and FF next year.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Your argument makes no sense from a logic exercise. If Ellis and Duchene are worthless, why would Vancouver give us"good draft picks" and take back more salary than we would be taking from them??

Duchene isnt worthless he is just massively overpaid. It matters if we need the cap space but we probably dont. So just suck it up and hope he can find some semblance of his former self playing with Joey and FF next year.
Wait, is my argument that Duchene and Ellis are "worthless"??? Where does that come from??? :huh:

I didn't even really make an "argument", but if you asked me I would say Duchene is worthless. From a trade value perspective. So he's a big salary, but stuck to a player who is fast and skilled and maybe "for free" a desperate team would take him. Maybe not. But I definitely do not make that argument about Ellis. To me, he is worth a 1st round pick + something.

So my proposal here is maybe Vancouver is that team which is desperate enough to cast their lot in with Duchene. In which case we take Eriksson/Beagle contracts back just as a way to trim 4 years off Duchene's cap hit. And they give us picks... for Ellis, basically.

But I'm sure if you posted this on any main board, Vancouver fans would all be, ewwwww, no way, those guys suck, or something like that.

We're going to have Duchene for the next 5 years, for better or worse, that is my firm belief.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
It hurts to say it, but don't we have to be Montreal fans now? Weber + hate Winnipeg . . .
Pfft, no. Winnipeg isn't going to beat the winner of the Pacific regardless. I can't abide Montreal for most of the fan nonsense and "whatever" on Weber (sure thanks for the memories but also f*** off for the offer sheet on the heels of Sutter leaving that is still looming over our heads).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Pfft, no. Winnipeg isn't going to beat the winner of the Pacific regardless. I can't abide Montreal for most of the fan nonsense and "whatever" on Weber (sure thanks for the memories but also f*** off for the offer sheet on the heels of Sutter leaving that is still looming over our heads).
Wasn't that offer sheet from Philadelphia? Or is this a different offer sheet that I don't remember?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wasn't that offer sheet from Philadelphia? Or is this a different offer sheet that I don't remember?
Yeah, the OS was by Philly. I guess the debate for a while has been centered on us thinking that the NHL wouldn't be so petty and retroactive as to penalize us for a contract that another team drew up at a time when we were vulnerable, whereas of course the rest of HFThink likes to say The Rules Is The Rules and You Will Get Burned Regardless. Habs fans in particular who think we should give up the moon to trade for Weber to somehow avoid any Cap recapture penalty. It is an ongoing Thing with Habs fans.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah, the OS was by Philly. I guess the debate for a while has been centered on us thinking that the NHL wouldn't be so petty and retroactive as to penalize us for a contract that another team drew up at a time when we were vulnerable, whereas of course the rest of HFThink likes to say The Rules Is The Rules and You Will Get Burned Regardless. Habs fans in particular who think we should give up the moon to trade for Weber to somehow avoid any Cap recapture penalty. It is an ongoing Thing with Habs fans.
Oh, believe me, I've seen it in action. They all go on The List.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad