Around the NHL 2020-21

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Is my timeline off? I'm remembering that as the same summer Suter left for some reason.

The offer sheet was definitely from Philly. And it was the same summer Suter left. Even though they were drafted together, the Preds held Shea in the minors for enough of one season that it didnt count as a bonafide season and so he was still an RFA that summer while Suter was a UFA

And a young and undoubtedly disappointed Dante Fabbro should look back and realize Suter was benched for the playoffs his first season too

Reactions: predhead1

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He gets a game I'll be surprised and I think he just gets that because nothing was called in the game.

Ok I saw a different hit. Holy crap, yeah he may be gone, there was absolutely no reason to make that hit, none. He should get enough to be out of the series imo.

Last edited:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The combination of the hit coming after the goal on a player in a vulnerable position (leaning to make the wrap around) and apparent injury changes the odds in favor of the NHL Player Safety Wheel of Justice landing on a suspension. If Scheifele makes contact less than 1/10th of a second earlier and prevents that goal it's a very different discussion.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Holy f*** Scheifele. Dude should not see the ice until next year.

In reality, league will give him 5k fine and Habs will take matters into their own hands. The league is clearly not able to protect the players anymore, it's a jungle now.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I remember how much I got to hear from Jets fans about the Preds being a dirty team in the 2018 series. I guess everyone becomes the villain eventually.
Only reason they weren't was because they hadn't been in the playoffs enough at that point. Once you are in it you figure out things are different. The trick is being dirty without doing crap like he did. That's what made Anaheim such a bitch to play against. Those guys had it down to an art and got away with it most of the time. Frankly that's where our guys learned a lot of it from and is the reason we had such penalty issues the following few seasons.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
The NHL has tried a little of everything but it remains a violent game in a violent league. As the split second decisions are made at such high speed play , incidents like this are on the verge of occurring constantly. Suspensions must get more severe and certain players should not be tolerated by the league.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The NHL has tried a little of everything but it remains a violent game in a violent league. As the split second decisions are made at such high speed play , incidents like this are on the verge of occurring constantly. Suspensions must get more severe and certain players should not be tolerated by the league.
Agreed and until they are severe enough it's never going to really curb anything. Start suspending guys for 10 games for the first offense and scale it up rapidly and watch what happens. Yeah the game may get softer but that crap will come to an end fast, especially if after you hit the 3rd or 4th and are sitting a year and forfeiting millions of dollars.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Can the league do a better job of controlling dirty players than the old enforcers did? Im not sure that is the case. There are a number of dirty players still in the league the difference is they have some talent other than being dirty. Tom Wilson and Brad Marchant are just two. Unless emotion can be removed from the game these incidents are going to continue and the question remains can players control this better than the league?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Maybe they should put a risk/insurance person in charge of player safety as opposed to a former player. I don’t want to pile on Parros as this has always been a problem but it’s also not a great look to have a guy who showed up in the enforcers documentary as the guy in charge of disciplining players for hard hits.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005

Agreed and until they are severe enough it's never going to really curb anything. Start suspending guys for 10 games for the first offense and scale it up rapidly and watch what happens. Yeah the game may get softer but that crap will come to an end fast, especially if after you hit the 3rd or 4th and are sitting a year and forfeiting millions of dollars.

It was a huge hit but the details of it might (or not) warrant ten games. Scheifele stops striding out around the dot, does not leave his feet before contact, and the hit is within a fraction of a second of the goal (puck hits the back of the net simultaneously with the hit to Evans). The refs called a major for charging. What is going to be the determining factor for any supplemental punishment is what the league determines is the "primary point of contact"... shoulder to chest, deliberate shoulder to head, or inadvertent shoulder to head ... therein lies the major was enough, 1 game, 3-5 games, 10 games, or death by snu snu administered by the commish.

This is a league where fans on SportsNet just voted on Greatest Hit Of The 21st Century (some guy named Tootoo won that bracket challenge) ... it's a league that still celebrates hits by Stevens and Pronger ... with many of those hits either on a fine line or well beyond it.

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
I mean, the Players have to agree to larger penalties too. If they came to the bargaining table and offered up real punishments, the league would surely take that.

Instead they negotiate the lowest penalties they can get. It's self defeating really, but the PA has never shown themselves to be the brightest bunch or do things that benefit membership as a whole.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I mean, the Players have to agree to larger penalties too. If they came to the bargaining table and offered up real punishments, the league would surely take that.

Instead they negotiate the lowest penalties they can get. It's self defeating really, but the PA has never shown themselves to be the brightest bunch or do things that benefit membership as a whole.

Yeah it's really interesting that the PA has chosen to protect the headhunting players over those who receive the hits often with career altering results. I feel like if I were a player I'd want guys like Reaves or Wilson to clean up their act or get forced out of the league.

It is kind of interesting to think that 10-20 years ago this hit would have been on the Sportscenter Top 10 though.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
$5000 is quite the penalty, right? A player like Scheifele making $6M gets a little over $70,000 per game in a normal season. And takes what, about 25 shifts a game? So he's getting paid around $3,000 PER SHIFT. The maximum fine is the same as missing a couple shifts. Or about the same as sitting for a 2 minute penalty? :eek:

Reactions: Scoresberg

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Look on the bright side. At least they didn’t call embellishment.

In all seriousness the 5 minute major was a joke. Less than a minute left and down 2 goals. I get that it was called and officially happened but it was also basically irrelevant. Hopefully the league sees it the same way.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Yeah it's really interesting that the PA has chosen to protect the headhunting players over those who receive the hits often with career altering results. I feel like if I were a player I'd want guys like Reaves or Wilson to clean up their act or get forced out of the league.

It is kind of interesting to think that 10-20 years ago this hit would have been on the Sportscenter Top 10 though.

If that same hit was made 1/10th to 1/20th of a second earlier its a Sportscenter highlight for a hustle play to break up a goal.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
At this point you almost prefer the NHL to just go ahead and levy their shortened joke fines/suspensions, just because it's actually going to be more entertaining if Shea gets hold of Scheifele, right? That's the game the league seems to want right now. :eyeroll:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
About 5 feet apart and closing before the puck goes in.

upload_2021-6-3_17-54-35.png

When the puck crosses the line .... about two(ish) feet apart and still closing in.

upload_2021-6-3_17-59-22.png

That is the difference between this viewed as a hustle play to stop a goal and Scheifele viewed as Adolf Stalin von BLZbub. He was a stride too slow to stop the goal ... about two strides too far up the ice to alter anything once the goal is scored. If he tries to go stick on stick to play the puck, still good odds they collide. He chose to play the body and was late by all of that much. He'll sit a couple games but the only way to prevent things like this is to completely eliminate hitting.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
$5000 is quite the penalty, right? A player like Scheifele making $6M gets a little over $70,000 per game in a normal season. And takes what, about 25 shifts a game? So he's getting paid around $3,000 PER SHIFT. The maximum fine is the same as missing a couple shifts. Or about the same as sitting for a 2 minute penalty? :eek:

It wouldn't be just $5,000. There's also an automatic $200 fine for receiving a game misconduct penalty. You need to factor that into your equation. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
About 5 feet apart and closing before the puck goes in.

View attachment 442737

When the puck crosses the line .... about two(ish) feet apart and still closing in.

View attachment 442740

That is the difference between this viewed as a hustle play to stop a goal and Scheifele viewed as Adolf Stalin von BLZbub. He was a stride too slow to stop the goal ... about two strides too far up the ice to alter anything once the goal is scored. If he tries to go stick on stick to play the puck, still good odds they collide. He chose to play the body and was late by all of that much. He'll sit a couple games but the only way to prevent things like this is to completely eliminate hitting.

Your narration of this seems like there was something that the Montreal player did at the end of the play to suddenly change the circumstances of the collision. I'm not going to argue what the NHL will do with this incident but Schiefele knew exactly what he was doing and knew it was going to be a late hit. There is no doubt about that and he could have easily lessened the impact rather than hitting him full speed and extending his arms through the hit. These guys go from full speed to full stop in the matter of a couple feet especially when things can be anticipated.

Hustle or not, split second or not, he meant to truck the guy and that's exactly what he did.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Your narration of this seems like there was something that the Montreal player did at the end of the play to suddenly change the circumstances of the collision. I'm not going to argue what the NHL will do with this incident but Schiefele knew exactly what he was doing and knew it was going to be a late hit. There is no doubt about that and he could have easily lessened the impact rather than hitting him full speed and extending his arms through the hit. These guys go from full speed to full stop in the matter of a couple feet especially when things can be anticipated.

Hustle or not, split second or not, he meant to truck the guy and that's exactly what he did.

He meant to truck him in time to stop the goal. There were three options .. concede the goal, try to go stick on stick, try to play the body in time to stop the goal. He went with the last option and got there a literal split second too late ... it's about 1/10th of a second between stopping the goal and a hearing with player safety ... five feet of distance between players skating at speed towards each other as Evans tucked the puck around the post and it crossed the line.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
About the last time there is any chance for a player to see and react to the situation is when Evans collects the puck. At that point it is clear he is going for the wrap around, Scheifele's body language indicates he is going for the body at the post, Pionk sees he's too late and starts to stop. From there through impact things are inside of the human brain's ability to react to visual stimulus.

The ref's arm doesn't start to come up to signal the goal until Evans is mid flip to faceplant after the hit.

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
It was charging, he came from halfway across the rink, unobstructed with the sole intention of hitting Evans. Glide isn't a factor in charging, and he he didn't attempt to play the puck.

It was an exceptionally violent hit which is why the ref called it a major, which is how the rule iss written.

All that, plus the injury should result in a suspension. So far, the league has actually gotten everything right on this one, it's the final punishment that's up in the air now, let's hope that they don't drop the ball now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad