Around the NHL 2020-2021 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Julius Honka on waivers, worth a flyer at 700k ? Has 7 pts in 9 games for the Pelicans in the Liiga this year.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2021-1-21_18-26-24.png

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
NHL could loosen the game up by getting rid of the bluelines.
Huge change for sure.
But I'd love to see a league try it.

Does it need to loosen up? It seems with what they've done it's mostly encouraged teams to just chip it up ice as far and as fast as they can to a high guy looking to tip it to negate the icing and send everyone off to the races. I wish they'd get rid of the trapezoid behind the net and let goalies go out and play the puck again.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This. It makes me so mad that the goalie can’t come out to play in the pie slice. It would really up the pace and allow teams to keep pressing.

I think it would help put a dent in the chip and chase we see a lot of. Putting it into the corner for a foot race is suddenly more of a gamble if the goalie can just grab it and chuck it back the other way.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I get that the NHL is turning into a more player-driven league but PLD doesn’t deserve to be a part of that locker room at the moment. Totally fine with Torts benching.

Come into the year demanding a trade, never really explain why, and then tank on the ice? Yeah, stay far away Stevie. It’s obvious this kid wants to be in New York or Montreal so he can be more famous.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I wanted to trade for him, but after seeing what a brat he is, no thanks. Dont need attitudes like that on our team.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
So I was watching the final season of Vikings when I see a character that looks like Brent Burns (teeth gave it away) so I looked at imdb and lo and behold it is him. Just a line or 2. Not a great actor but cool to see.

skane.jpg

brentburnsactor.jpg

Reactions: Bench and Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Feel bad for Columbus with the PLD mess. I wonder if he's just tired of seeing the team bring people in and not being able to keep them and the team never moving forward because of it. Or maybe it's something not hockey related at all. Who knows.

Reactions: RayMoonDoh

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
As much as I hate the MSM/major networks, this can't be good for NHL revenue, can it?

also Nascar, IMSA, Indy Car...

The TV Home of NASCAR, IMSA and IndyCar is Shutting Down

Might be really good for them. The NHL will get paid the same for this contract regardless, but I have to wonder if it will allow NHL to break the contract and seek a better payday elsewhere. Maybe someone like Netflix or Amazon will pay a premium to be the prime carrier of the sport.

Reactions: RayMoonDoh

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They say it could be a really good thing. USA Networks has more of a brand than NBCSN, apparently?

NBC Sports has always been left out of basic cable packages I've seen. USA Network should have more access to more screens.

USA always carried tennis that I watched so it's not weird for me to tune into it for sports.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
EK cost of acquisition was bad enough @ his age at the time. Add high salary & term + deteriorating defensive game, injuries, aging etc. I saw that coming well before they offered that contract.

upload_2021-1-24_20-24-23.png

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I can't believe the Sharks are running him and Burns out there over 28 minutes a night.
They shouldn't have signed EK, but instead traded his rights after their playoffs finished. It could be argued they shouldn't have traded for him either. That team is in an unenviable position, had to gut their depth (Nyquist, Donskooi) etc., they need to start selling 30+ yr. old vets while they have value or it'll be a very long, painful rebuild (hello Wings). Their prospect system is very weak. Still wonder about poaching Chmelevski somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad