Around the NHL 20-21 pt. 1: the season begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I've never had an issue with Torts from the following standpoints:
1. It's abundantly clear he cares about winning
2. Understands that exceptions and double-standards become problems. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually.
3. His teams are accountable to him, his staff, each other, and the fans. The media can kiss off if they feel they are in a higher tier.
He's certainly not perfect. He may lose factions or blocks of his roster for stretches of time. His pride / stubbornness may have burnt some bridges or all but lit the match. And certain other coaches may have far more effective, sophisticated, and nuanced methods.

But, I'll take the imperfections of Tortorella over coaches who are dispassionate about losing when victory was in the grasp, who either look away or are inconsistent in handling players / situations, and who permit a laissez faire approach and tolerate the concomitant bland outcome.

Yeah....... you're just too old school for this game anymore....... LOL!

(I feel pretty much the same about Torts as you....)

Reactions: Eichel9

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Tampa Bay doesn't strike me as an ugly team, but I see this point I guess. I know they were playing Maroon, Schenn and Bogosian but that hardly changed what made them an elite team.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Teams being over reactive to every cup winner is so silly. The fundamentals of the game are not changing. The ice surface is the same. The rules are the same. Sometimes a team that’s big and slow and grinds along wins. Sometimes a team that’s small and skilled and fast wins. People—shockingly even managers of NHL teams—read way into each and every cup winner and act like it’s indicative of some new league-wide trends that they must adapt to or be left behind. If you look at the last 20 years you see an almost even split between the styles of teams that win.

What the winners do all have in common is that they have a clear identity and style. They were crafted with intent.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Has Adams done anything with US Hockey at any level prior to this? Feels like US hockey doing the Pegula's a favor.
That's silly. He's just one of a billion people involved. It's not like there are a ton of American GM's out there to the point that it is odd they are involving Adams.

That said, this is definitely good for the Sabres. It's a great networking opportunity for Adams.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
That's silly. He's just one of a billion people involved. It's not like there are a ton of American GM's out there to the point that it is odd they are involving Adams.

That said, this is definitely good for the Sabres. It's a great networking opportunity for Adams.
Authentically so...

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Burke wants to field a team that's big and physical?

tenor.gif

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Calculating an NHL team's finances and plan for expanding revenue

Budgeting for a season

The Lightning’s typical hockey operations budget for the season is around $100 million, according to sources. This includes players’ salaries, staff salaries, travel for 41 road games. There are also other hefty expenses like arena operations and administration. The Lightning have 250 full-time staff, which jumps over 1,000 when you count part-timers.

So where does the income come from?

Based on available ticket information, industry sources and former Lightning staffers, this is the general range of revenue that comes annually from each major source, as of the 2019-20 season:

Tickets: $60 million
Suite sales: $15 million
Sponsors: $30 million
Local TV deal (Sinclair/Fox Sports Sun): $15 million
National TV deal: $15-20 million
Food and beverage: $10 million
Merchandise: $5 million

The fact the Lightning sold out 234 straight games is important because of how big of a chunk ticket revenue is for teams, even as Tampa Bay’s ticket prices remain on the lower end at 24th highest of the 31 teams.
It’s become the lifeblood financially for the organization.

“In the modern era, the last 30-40 years, the NHL has never generated the revenues on television that the NBA or baseball or football has,” said Tom Wilson, a former executive for the Tigers, Red Wings, Pistons and Lightning. “So they’re very, very fan dependent, so it’s been a heavier lift.”

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Another 2 game suspension for Larsson. I have no issue with the suspension but the league seems to target nobody players to suspend while ignoring this exact same hit 90% of the time.

after 13 games this season, he will have twice as many games lost to suspension than points!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad