Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It doesn't suck for him because he signed a contract where he can veto a move and has an agent that is absolutely cut throat. All they had to do was sit down and go through the 15 teams that could either afford him or need D and put them on their list

That’s what they are trying to do from what Friedman said. Let’s see if they can pull it off shall we. New York ownership is as cut throat as it gets so I like the match up on paper. :laugh:

I still maintain that we won that trade simply because we didn't have to give that douche any more money.

Even better we had him for a good long Run and as I recall @Whileee did a break down and I think his AAV with us was less than $3 million as a Jet lifetime. I do remember being a bit pissed we lost the talent but I hated the contract when I saw it and had zero interest in the AAV back then.

Last edited:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
When you lose players with reasonable contracts (Dillon/Monahan/Taffoli) you aren't going to exactly have a lot in cap room to spend.

I was thinking today if free agency would be different if the province charged players 0 provincial sales tax on their contracts if players having to give away the least amount in the NHL to taxes would actually entice some to come here.
I have never really seen studies done in other areas of livibility for NHLers.
1. Commute time to arena, practice facility and airport.
2. Cost of housing.
3. Living in Canada and getting paid in US dollars.

Some of these do not matter in big markets jn Canada but small markets do have advantages here.

I’m not interested in some pro athlete paying no tax unless I get the same tax break.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That’s what they are trying to do from what Friedman said. Let’s see if they can pull it off shall we. New York ownership is as cut throat as it gets so I like the match up on paper. :laugh:

Even better we had him for a good long Run and as I recall @Whileee did a break down and I think his AAV with us was less than $3 million as a Jet lifetime. I do remember being a bit pissed we lost the talent but I hated the contract when I saw it and had zero interest in the AAV back then.
Yup.

Trouba with the Jets: 6 years, $14.3M total cap hit ($2.38M AAV). Total GAR 46.7 (7.8 per season)

Trouba with the NYR: 5 years (and counting), $40M total cap hit ($8M AAV). Total GAR -7 (-1.4 per season)

A while back I started a thread that focused on contract models. I think that one of the more efficient models is taking a top young draft pick through most of their RFA seasons and then trading them before they cash in. This works particularly for players that don't want to commit long-term, such as Trouba, Laine and PLD.

The alternative is to sign a long contract straight out of the ELC and make a "bet" on a top player, like Scheifele, Ehlers and Connor. I wonder if they might consider that for Perfetti, like the Panthers did with Lundell.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Movement goes with the job unless you negotiate otherwise. Jacob is not special, it sucks for all the guys with families.
Well a) when it comes to Detroit, he did negotiate otherwise and b) if he doesn't want a salary, he's free to do what he wants, he'll just go on the suspended list of the acquiring team. I believe he is fine with that.

Yup.

Trouba with the Jets: 6 years, $14.3M total cap hit ($2.38M AAV). Total GAR 46.7 (7.8 per season)

Trouba with the NYR: 5 years (and counting), $40M total cap hit ($8M AAV). Total GAR -7 (-1.4 per season)

A while back I started a thread that focused on contract models. I think that one of the more efficient models is taking a top young draft pick through most of their RFA seasons and then trading them before they cash in. This works particularly for players that don't want to commit long-term, such as Trouba, Laine and PLD.

The alternative is to sign a long contract straight out of the ELC and make a "bet" on a top player, like Scheifele, Ehlers and Connor. I wonder if they might consider that for Perfetti, like the Panthers did with Lundell.
We should trade Ehlers this summer and Connor next summer. I'd be happy with that. Reduces our chances of raising Lord Stanley this year and next, but increases it beyond.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well a) when it comes to Detroit, he did negotiate otherwise and b) if he doesn't want a salary, he's free to do what he wants, he'll just go on the suspended list of the acquiring team. I believe he is fine with that.

We should trade Ehlers this summer and Connor next summer. I'd be happy with that. Reduces our chances of raising Lord Stanley this year and next, but increases it beyond.

He has negotiated control over 15 teams and will do his best to hope that scorches the earth but…….

I think b) may become his best option at some point. He can’t block a trade to 16 teams but he can refuse to report.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Moving on from Ehlers and Connor would be painful but wise

Chevy did a good job of turning PLD into RFAs kupari and Vilardi, and now Freij

At some point during the PLD drama I mentioned that idea ad being a viable way for Chevy to build a team in a small, undesirable market. Use draft picks through their ELC and RFA years, get good value, then recycle them into more pieces like that right as they're about to cash in as UFAs

The beauty of it is that those RFA guys have no movement protection

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Moving on from Ehlers and Connor would be painful but wise

Chevy did a good job of turning PLD into RFAs kupari and Vilardi, and now Freij

At some point during the PLD drama I mentioned that idea ad being a viable way for Chevy to build a team in a small, undesirable market. Use draft picks through their ELC and RFA years, get good value, then recycle them into more pieces like that right as they're about to cash in as UFAs

The beauty of it is that those RFA guys have no movement protection

I don't think a team like that ultimately does more than a round or two in the playoffs. There's something to be said for playoff experience. There's also the varying value of what those RFAs are. They may not have trade protection but in a situation like Trouba, he essentially limited the return because he wouldn't re-sign in most markets. For every Vilardi return there's a Pionk.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I don't think a team like that ultimately does more than a round or two in the playoffs. There's something to be said for playoff experience. There's also the varying value of what those RFAs are. They may not have trade protection but in a situation like Trouba, he essentially limited the return because he wouldn't re-sign in most markets. For every Vilardi return there's a Pionk.
The playoff experience certainly hasn’t helped this team. In any case, a team that does a round or two in the playoffs might be appealing to True North. It’s a popular sentiment around here that they will never rebuild and will essentially try to be the Minnesota Wild of the north, so not sure they’d be too afraid of a model like this.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm not saying to do that to every RFA, just ones that maybe don't want to be here or ones where there is ELC talent to backfill

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Which NHL JETS top 4 Defence is better

2017-18
Enstrom Byfuglien
Morrissey Trouba

or

1992-93
Housely Caryle
Numminen Oulasson

?
Carlyle only played 22 games that year. Less than Sergi Bautin (71), Igor Ulanov (56), and Dean Kennedy (78)

Also, Toby only played 43 games in 2017-18, Buff was mostly paired with Chiarot. Bottom pairing was Kulikov Myers I think?

So it's a little misleading

EDIT: Maybe this is the wrong thread for this convo

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Carlyle only played 22 games that year. Less than Sergi Bautin (71), Igor Ulanov (56), and Dean Kennedy (78)

Also, Toby only played 43 games in 2017-18, Buff was mostly paired with Chiarot. Bottom pairing was Kulikov Myers I think?

So it's a little misleading

EDIT: Maybe this is the wrong thread for this convo
I'd kill to have teppo numminen on this team - 6'2 rhd wizard

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'd kill to have teppo numminen on this team - 6'2 rhd wizard

So steady

Before moving to Winnipeg in 1993 (yes the year after Teemu’s rookie season) I had spent the better part of a decade living in Alberta in both Calgary and Edmonton so I had watched lots of live, Coffee, MacInnis, Suter, Lowe.

I remember getting use to the Jets and there was lots to like as far as emerging assets but the guy who blew me away the most was Numminen. Ok I get it, Coffee was one of the best offensive defenseman I have ever seen……but……..as a very rounded 200 foot defenseman I liked Teppo more than any of the guys I watched in Alberta. He might not have been a gifted PP QB but he did everything so well.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Freddy was a mess though... 90s pionk
I was just thinking about how much this board would shit on most of those guys.

Carlyle: washed up, too slow
Olausson: couldn't find the front of his own net with a map, soft as camambert
Housley: is he even a defenseman?

Also, I saw Teppos penis.

I'm not saying it made me gay but it didn't help.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

The game has changed so much, and so have fans

Long story about how it came to be, but one time around 2000 I ended up hanging out and having more than a few beers with Joey Kocur. At the time, he was the video coach for the Redwings. He was still having to dub footage from one cassette to another then they'd have to wheel a tv/vcr into the room to show players

Anyway, he was telling us about how when HE was a player in thr 80s/90s, there was a spot on the ice in one end at Joe Louis Arena that was a dead spot for the cameras so when he was on the ice, he'd try to spend as much time there as possible so there'd be less chance of there being footage of him f***ing up

Now with the metrics and analytics, it seems like every pass and every stride a player makes is logged and analyzed

He also said that the only two fights he remembered from his playing days was the Jim Kyte KO and when he fought Link Gaetz

Reactions: GJF and Jet

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

I'd say Olausson was more like he'd turn his brain off like pionk - stupid hard shot but just a handful of wtf plays each game

No one would have said that about Housley ' what a crime that we were too cheap to keep him and selanne together

And yes Carlyle was washed up in 1992 there's no argument there

That team was a couple players away from being really good... instead mike Smith just torpedoed the franchise

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'd say Olausson was more like he'd turn his brain off like pionk - stupid hard shot but just a handful of wtf plays each game

No one would have said that about Housley ' what a crime that we were too cheap to keep him and selanne together

And yes Carlyle was washed up in 1992 there's no argument there

That team was a couple players away from being really good... instead mike Smith just torpedoed the franchise
Housley was like Coffey lite, brilliant offensively, great exits but just awful defensively.

I really liked Olausson, but he was pretty dopey at times.

Reactions: Buffdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad