Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think I am saying exactly what you are saying:

Coaches are always selling their system and as long as the team buys in for the most part most of the systems work quite well. The problem is so many stars don’t like playing the system and when they don’t buy in it falls apart.

I hate that coaches lose their job because players get lazy but at least coaches get paid really well these days. They just have to approach it with the knowledge that transition is a big part of their reality.
LOL - yeah, I don't feel sorry for the coaches - they know its a rigged game and they are paid very well.

Reactions: ps241

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Of course there are and those teams often win a cup or two. Crosby probably the best example of a superstar that never takes a day off.

Hard to understand how Scheifele a person who works his ass off outside the rink at improving himself, then goes to a player who extends shifts and is prone to soft play and flybys.
Probably because guys like Crosby not only work hard, but they also know that to win, you need to work hard.
For some of the high end players, I don't think they realize they need to work hard - they just have to get 10% better - lol.

It's not just the work - it's the attitude that you will leave it all out there, you'll work those hard areas of the ice, and you'll sacrifice.
And you look around the league and teams that have those types of players usually play a hard game - it rubs off when the high skill players are the guys that get it.

Reactions: Jets 31

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Love the defencemen that push a guy onto their goalie and then start feeding punches on him for it.
These guys are so ramped up they look for any excuse to get in your face - PO hockey, love it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Probably because guys like Crosby not only work hard, but they also know that to win, you need to work hard.
For some of the high end players, I don't think they realize they need to work hard - they just have to get 10% better - lol.

It's not just the work - it's the attitude that you will leave it all out there, you'll work those hard areas of the ice, and you'll sacrifice.
And you look around the league and teams that have those types of players usually play a hard game - it rubs off when the high skill players are the guys that get it.

I mean that's hard work in its self. You don't get 10% better without busting your ass. So why does that not translating to busting your ass on the ice.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I mean that's hard work in its self. You don't get 10% better without busting your ass. So why does that not translating to busting your ass on the ice.
I said in my post: it's the attitude that you will leave it all out there, you'll work those hard areas of the ice, and you'll sacrifice.
Some call it "compete"

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Galley talking about putting Rempe into the lineup, yeah that will fix everything

I think it's a series where you wear down the opponent and Rempe throwing his weight could wear down some of Florida's defencemen. I think Game 1 would've been a better choice but Game 2, maybe it'll set a tone a bit. That ice time isn't going to goal scorers anyway.

Reactions: robertocarlos

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Of course there are and those teams often win a cup or two. Crosby probably the best example of a superstar that never takes a day off.

Hard to understand how Scheifele a person who works his ass off outside the rink at improving himself, then goes to a player who extends shifts and is prone to soft play and flybys.
Scheifele is not the worst offender on our team for being soft.

Reactions: roccerfeller

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I mean why would you when healthy scratches like nate Schmidt make a gaurunteed 8 million cdn for 8 months of "work." Gaurunteed contracts have to go.

I dont think guaranteed contracts should go. A contract needs to be honored. The solution is there should be a max term of two or three years.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The modern star player has too much power imo. The only players a coach seems to risk pissing off to send messages to are the young players.
And modern star players are just slightly older than young players who will be just as self centred a couple years down the line when they are the star players. You are talking about players only a couple years difference. The only difference is contract status under the CBA.

Reactions: Jets 31 and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And modern star players are just slightly older than young players who will be just as self centred a couple years down the line when they are the star players. You are talking about players only a couple years difference. The only difference is contract status under the CBA.

I'm not disagreeing with that. It's all about the power dynamic which of course changes the closer you get to UFA.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

No he is not but he's the face of the team upfront and plays the most important position but isn't always as dialed in as he can be. Imo it's more a usage and taking long shift issue. But he's the leader and he's a player Cole and probably the other kids when they make it look up to. He needs to set an example on the ice that matches what he sets off the ice.

Reactions: LowLefty

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Can you imagine what kind oh hell Chevy would have to operate under 2 or 3 year contract limits? We would soon become a feeder team.

The team would still have control of the player until 27. That part would not need to change.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not disagreeing with that. It's all about the power dynamic which of course changes the closer you get to UFA.
Every league has that power dynamic. Player associations trade off the rights of the hopefuls for the rights of the established just like every labour union in the world.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Care to expand? Connor his sidekick...? Or Ehlers 14 mins a game?

The job's a bit easier when a top 10 player in the league says "I'm not signing in Calgary and I'd like to play for only you, please".
Team is just as good with Weever and Huberdeau though... Bennett and Reinhart are real keys to that team

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I dont think guaranteed contracts should go. A contract needs to be honored. The solution is there should be a max term of two or three years.

This goes both ways. Sure you could cut underperforming players but what about over performing players? I'd imagine JoMo would have had his contract ripped up and replaced with a $9 to $10 million a year one if that was the world we lived in.

Also I don't really think very many of our players have historically underperformed their contracts to such a large degree. The biggest ones where aging older core players like Wheeler, Schmidt, Stuart. There haven't been that many contract underperformers in terms of prime aged players.

Maybe it should be apparent why nobody is paid star caliber money on this team. We don't have the elite star players to commend it outside of Helle. We got lucky JoMo was looked in at a bargain prior to becoming a Norris caliber Dmen.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Care to expand? Connor his sidekick...? Or Ehlers 14 mins a game?

Team is just as good with Weever and Huberdeau though... Bennett and Reinhart are real keys to that team

For sure, Zito's done well, but it's like beating the medium AI in Age of Empires 2 with excellent macro and micro. Like, yeah, you played well, but the difficulty is also pretty low.

• Haha
Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
This goes both ways. Sure you could cut underperforming players but what about over performing players? I'd imagine JoMo would have had his contract ripped up and replaced with a $9 to $10 million a year one if that was the world we lived in.

Also I don't really think very many of our players have historically underperformed their contracts to such a large degree. The biggest ones where aging older core players like Wheeler, Schmidt, Stuart. There haven't been that many contract underperformers in terms of prime aged players.

Maybe it should be apparent why nobody is paid star caliber money on this team. We don't have the elite star players to commend it outside of Helle. We got lucky JoMo was looked in at a bargain prior to becoming a Norris caliber Dmen.
I mean it could be like every other job in the world where you get fired if you dont perform and the company can give you a retention bonus if you bust your ass... or a severance package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad