Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Not to drag this down the drain again but I appreciate your honest answer.

With respect to your question at the end of the post I guess my criteria is a team should be placed in a location that has sufficient population where the league is confident that the ownership will do their best to ensure stable management dedicated to the success of the franchise.

Strong support from the fan base is also critical and I think Dallas, Carolina and Nashville, as examples, all amply demonstrate that, in what may be considered non-traditional hockey markets. I don't know, but I think that the support for Tampa Bay has always been rather good as well.

But this statement (mine) does raise a fascinating question regarding Winnipeg's future. My latest, ongoing dealings with TNSE are arguably no better than they were when we first got tickets in 2011 (yeah you have a choice, you can take those seats or we'll give them to someone else). TNSE is burning through nearly everyone with actual disposable income by continuing to treat them as easily replaceable. They are saying the right things publicly but they haven't changed a damn thing at the STH-communication level. The biggest driver of that is that they burn through STH-reps, our only avenue for communication so bloody quickly. The STH rep, the primary and frankly only point of contact for a STH is an entry level position. I'm on my 4th in the last 12 month span. They don't seem to pass any information about the history of the seats, STH or previous communications onto the new people at all. My litany of complaints about this organization sadly just continues to grow with each passing day. As just a fan, I think I'd enjoy the organization that much more.

At least they are consistent...

:banghead:

That's just sad... we have shared a number of golf games over the last number of years...

That's mortifying that they aren't evolving...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just watching the Eastern finals, and Florida looks to me like a very well coached team. 2 years in a row goes beyond good fortune. Just maybe the spotlight needs to be a little brighter on Chevy as the evidence is starting to mount that Maurice is actually a top tier coach who just couldn't get our little band of misfits all rowing in the same direction. Our next 2 head coaches have seemed to confirm this. The ball is in your court Chevy.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Just watching the Eastern finals, and Florida looks to me like a very well coached team. 2 years in a row goes beyond good fortune. Just maybe the spotlight needs to be a little brighter on Chevy as the evidence is starting to mount that Maurice is actually a top tier coach who just couldn't get our little band of misfits all rowing in the same direction. Our next 2 head coaches have seemed to confirm this. The ball is in your court Chevy.

I dunno all I read was the most losses in NHL head coaching history.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I wonder if some of this is shelf life too? I thought Paul was really effective here when he had the teams ear but at some point the team, or parts of the team seemed to tune him out.

He certainly has Florida playing really hard hockey. I wonder if they can stay healthy for the rest of the playoffs at this pace?

So far the game has been great to watch.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Maurice did well here as well for 5 years. He lost the room, happens to almost all coaches.

Outside of punting the core I'm not sure what Chevy can realistically do. He built a team good enough to get 110 points. At some point the players need to take ownership.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Long post and not meant to go @ you Adam, got a lot of respect for you as a poster and fellow Jets brother but:

Disagree. I think it should be any Canadian team over an American team. Hockey in Dallas just sounds wrong.

They’ve historically shown they’re a great market

More Dallas fans filled their building this year than ours filled our building fwiw…

I don’t understand this American vs Canadian thing. Truthfully I only care about the team I cheer on, which is the Jets. I actually share others opinions that if it ain’t the Jets, don’t really care. In the end I’ll cheer on an eastern team because they had either ex Jets coaches or players. Outside of that I like players and f*** cheering for a team with Evander Kane and Corry Perry yes Kane played hard for us when we was with us but if Buff has to throw your track suit in a tub, I just can’t go back to respecting or liking that player even if he did wear our colours. And screw Perry. Dallas has a lot more likeable players for me

Maybe Ottawa would be cool, maybe the Habs for the historical reasons (if you’re a Canadian patriot then you should respect them for supporting the Canadian anthem in the league over the British anthem, which is what the Maple Leafs historically did) but seriously f*** all the other teams. Most of them would not care about the Jets or as other posters mentioned hate on Winnipeg as a city (yet act like Edmonton is some crown jewel or something lol ya right. BC is as good as the winter gets in Canada, and it ain’t Florida here)

While I have close family and friends that are huge oiler fans being born and bred in Edmonton, whom I love and respect, and I like Edmonton as a city generally, I can’t stand many oiler fans - they are cocky, boisterous, arrogant, some shockingly racist…they can be a toxic bunch … not as toxic as canucks fans are who can be borderline intolerable but they are a toxic bunch especially since they’ve had mcdavid and draisaitl. That’s just going to get worse with a cup win.

How about no! I’m sick of America dominating everything.

A feeling of superiority is the last refuge.

I dont get the sense Americans have a superiority complex about Canadians. Living close to the border myself, I’m in Vancouver area and Seattle is the closest large American market - they don’t really think or care about us. They are more concerned with their own politics and their own issues in the states or other countries on a global scale. California alone is double our GDP I believe.

Seattle is a bigger city than Vancouver but it never ceases to surprise how nice the people are there; generally more respectful, polite, and just all around friendly the average Seattle person is

Vs (greater) Vancouver,

which is full of impatience, anger and entitlement, a dash of Botox, poor communication and generally poor manners in many settings

You have good and bad in both, as is the reality everywhere, but I am generalizing that the American city of Seattle is a more welcoming city than the Canadian Vancouver despite being bigger and all the American stereotypes that ensue

So in this case they are dominating in the right way ;)

I mean, you’d think Seattle is a small town friendly type of place at times compared to Vancouver at times, maybe smaller than Victoria even (which is a small city itself 400ish k)

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Maurice is a good coach - he ran into a wall with the Jets - and so will the next coach unless they make some changes.

Maurice did well here as well for 5 years. He lost the room, happens to almost all coaches.

Outside of punting the core I'm not sure what Chevy can realistically do. He built a team good enough to get 110 points. At some point the players need to take ownership.
I don't get this "he lost the room" garbage -
The players tune him out because they don't want to put the work in -
So call it what it is - "the players gave up"

It's why I'm a big proponent of complete players.
Who isn't?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maurice is a good coach - he ran into a wall with the Jets - and so will the next coach unless they make some changes.

I don't get this "he lost the room" garbage -
The players tune him out because they don't want to put the work in -
So call it what it is - "the players gave up"

Who isn't?

Call it what you will but happens on every team in this league. Sportsnet just put out an article where the average NHL coaching gig is 1.9 years long. Looks like a league full of lazy players that don't want to work.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Call it what you will but happens on every team in this league. Sportsnet just put out an article where the average NHL coaching gig is 1.9 years long. Looks like a league full of lazy players that don't want to work.
Yes, it does look like lazy players -
The coach is there to deliver a message that usually includes how they want to play and the effort they need to put in - that's the message.
And yes, players tune that out - and it happens a lot which explains why coaches are always the first to go. It's much worse now than it used to be - which says a lot about today's NHL

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
I mean why would you when healthy scratches like nate Schmidt make a gaurunteed 8 million cdn for 8 months of "work." Gaurunteed contracts have to go.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The coach is there to deliver a message that usually includes how they want to play and the effort they need to put in - that's the message.
And yes, players tune that out - and it happens a lot which explains why coaches are always the first to go. It's much worse now than it used to be - which says a lot about today's NHL

The modern star player has too much power imo. The only players a coach seems to risk pissing off to send messages to are the young players.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The modern star player has too much power imo. The only players a coach seems to risk pissing off to send messages to are the young players.
I agree - the young guys do get the worst of it especially on teams that have too many of the modern star players as you put it - I'd call them spoiled brats.
But there are still top end players that get the work done too - there's a few playing in the game tonight.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I think I am saying exactly what you are saying:

Coaches are always selling their system and as long as the team buys in for the most part most of the systems work quite well. The problem is so many stars don’t like playing the system and when they don’t buy in it falls apart.

I hate that coaches lose their job because players get lazy but at least coaches get paid really well these days. They just have to approach it with the knowledge that transition is a big part of their reality.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree - the young guys do get the worst of it especially on teams that have too many of the modern star players as you put it - I'd call them spoiled brats.
But there are still top end players that get the work done too - there's a few playing in the game tonight.

Of course there are and those teams often win a cup or two. Crosby probably the best example of a superstar that never takes a day off.

Hard to understand how Scheifele a person who works his ass off outside the rink at improving himself, then goes to a player who extends shifts and is prone to soft play and flybys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad