Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Here’s a thought about the recent play.
How many posters are going through the “dog days” of winter?
Hands up, I see lots of you out there.
How many of you are affected enough to have work or other issues suffer during this period?
What’s to say some of the roster is the same way?
I believe this slump will pass.
We’re still hanging around.
Nobody other than Boston is killing it nightly.
Someone mentioned Dallas, they are not running away with it.
I believe we turn it around after the break.
Thank goodness for Helle our annual MVP

Interesting thought ... but why aren't other teams also suffering from "the dog days of winter" if this is the case? Are the Jets just a more mentally fragile group (possible given last season), is it because it's so much darker and colder in Winnipeg than most other NHL cities (yet Edmonton/Calgary are similar, and NHL players are on the road a lot so does that really count?).

I am with you that this slump will pass. You don't get to game 50 or so still above the 6-in-5 line and fighting for first in your division if you're just a mirage IMO. I still think the Jets are for real this year but need to figure some stuff out.

I'm a bit concerned with how this slide in fortunes seemed to coincide with the return of Ehlers. It's making me wish for the injury-riddled hard-working team. Not saying that Ehlers is a "locker room cancer" but maybe the Jets are resting on their laurels a bit with him in the lineup ... whereas when top players were out and much-maligned "gud pros" were in things went better. I really think coaches have a method to their madness of loving those less skilled but high character players. Look at Vegas their first year and Kraken this year. Character > skill IMO.

If Provorov wasn't Russian Orthadox but Muslum, would he still take heat for not supporting something that goes against his spiritual belief?
No, he'd be praised for his courage

Reactions: Luc Labelle

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting thought ... but why aren't other teams also suffering from "the dog days of winter" if this is the case? Are the Jets just a more mentally fragile group (possible given last season), is it because it's so much darker and colder in Winnipeg than most other NHL cities (yet Edmonton/Calgary are similar, and NHL players are on the road a lot so does that really count?).

I am with you that this slump will pass. You don't get to game 50 or so still above the 6-in-5 line and fighting for first in your division if you're just a mirage IMO. I still think the Jets are for real this year but need to figure some stuff out.

I'm a bit concerned with how this slide in fortunes seemed to coincide with the return of Ehlers. It's making me wish for the injury-riddled hard-working team. Not saying that Ehlers is a "locker room cancer" but maybe the Jets are resting on their laurels a bit with him in the lineup ... whereas when top players were out and much-maligned "gud pros" were in things went better. I really think coaches have a method to their madness of loving those less skilled but high character players. Look at Vegas their first year and Kraken this year. Character > skill IMO.

The Bruins have almost as many loses in the last week (3) as the did in the first 3 1/2 months of the season. LV has lost 4 in a row with only 2 wins in the last 10. Every team goes through a couple bad stretches in a 6 month season.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I mean how many of us follow the other teams enough to know what they look like during their slumps? Coaches call out effort and commitment all the time when teams slump, it's not just our team.

Pittsburgh fans had their pitchforks out earlier this season when they slipped out of a playoff spot and had a period of largely uninspired play. Are Crosby, Malkin, Letang weak mentally or did they just have a rough patch?

Keefe was in the media blasting his team earlier this year for uninspired play and effort. Those comments caused some turmoil and he had to walk them back. But yet another team who had a slump and the coach was trying to push buttons.

Calgary went through a couple as well and Sutter was out calling his team out.

I'm sure there are many more out there. This is a tough league and these players are human. When things go well everyone is feeling good and everything like effort, commitment etc comes easy. When things don't go well things start to slip and everything else becomes more difficult. This isn't just a Jet problem this is an every team in the league problem. As @KingBogo mentioned some of the other league best teams are currently slumping and having their coaches call out their play in Vegas and Boston.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Winnipeg
Boston
Dallas
Vegas
All slumping

Reactions: kanadalainen

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Winnipeg
Boston
Dallas
Vegas
All slumping
This is getting ridiculous - Dallas lost 3 straight.... in overtime to Buffalo, Carolina, NJ
Vegas is missing mark stone
Boston was gassed against Carolina

The degree of 'slump' here doesn't include the thousand yard stare we saw on Saturday...

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
This is getting ridiculous - Dallas lost 3 straight.... in overtime to Buffalo, Carolina, NJ

The degree of 'slump' here doesn't include the thousand yard stare we saw on Saturday...
To be fair, Perfetti looks like that when we are winning too ;)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I'm confused are you down playing there slumps do to other factors and not excusing ours? Or are you agreeing that this slump we are on is no big deal and they should be expected to pull out of it?

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
To be fair, Perfetti looks like that when we are winning too ;)

True. Tho he's usually helping us win.

Maybe they're staring grimly into the middle distance because they can no longer catch up on The Masked Ice Skater via convenient bench-side iPads that teams have removed since the recent TortstRant?

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
On the subject of Vegas, it certainly doesn't appear that Echiel has been that franchise changing 1C they thought they were getting. He doesn't crack the top 50c's in points and is 30th in ppg. He has never been great defensively and carries a 10M cap hit.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
On the subject of Vegas, it certainly doesn't appear that Echiel has been that franchise changing 1C they thought they were getting. He doesn't crack the top 50c's in points and is 30th in ppg. He has never been great defensively and carries a 10M cap hit.
He is likely still recovering from his surgery

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'm confused are you down playing there slumps do to other factors and not excusing ours? Or are you agreeing that this slump we are on is no big deal and they should be expected to pull out of it?
If we were in a 'slump' losing close games with a tight road schedule - no one here would call it a slump...

But all is forgiven - we beat a team that's in an actual slump haha so we are good again

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Not the same since that controversial injury. Coincidence?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Carolina lost 4 straight at the beginning of the month and one of the losses was to Columbus.
I don't understand some of these posts ... the sky is falling.
Refresh my memory I forgot who was the last NHL team to go undefeated?

It isn't that the Jets lost a few games but they lost most of them to weak teams, not just 1 to a weak team. And how they lost. That 2nd period against Buffalo was absolutely the worst exhibition of hockey I have ever seen. Hemmed in their own end for almost the entire 20 minutes. It was disgraceful. It is about the quality of their recent play, not the points.

That said, lets see how they play after the ASB. Hopefully last night's win broke the spell.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It isn't that the Jets lost a few games but they lost most of them to weak teams, not just 1 to a weak team. And how they lost. That 2nd period against Buffalo was absolutely the worst exhibition of hockey I have ever seen. Hemmed in their own end for almost the entire 20 minutes. It was disgraceful. It is about the quality of their recent play, not the points.

That said, lets see how they play after the ASB. Hopefully last night's win broke the spell.
They’re probably not a fan base in the NHL that hasn’t experienced the same level of terrible from their team at some point in the season. It happens to every team at some point.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They’re probably not a fan base in the NHL that hasn’t experienced the same level of terrible from their team at some point in the season. It happens to every team at some point.

Yup, every team slumps and losses to awful teams. I find people are way too quick pile on the team for something that is normal.

Also it's the time of the year that the awful teams are their most dangerous as these teams have nothing to play for any longer so the pressure is off. How often do we see poor teams go on runs and suppose better teams the backnhalf every season?

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
If Provorov wasn't Russian Orthadox but Muslum, would he still take heat for not supporting something that goes against his spiritual belief?
If Provorov was a NY Ranger, he wouldn’t take any heat (NYR’s had a recent pride night and the team decided to forgo wearing rainbow jerseys for warm-up).

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Not that terrible it doesn't. Not sustained for a full 20 minutes. Not like they redeemed themselves in the rest of that game either but that 2nd period was epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad