Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I wanna see Brady do this to Rasmussen as the Sens demolish the Wings after a game. We need to continue the bad blood between both teams

Not a fan of this deal, was hoping Laf would ask for $9 million and squeeze the Rags, but looks like he's down with the Drury plan. He'll be a monster if he ever starts getting PP time

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I wanna see Brady do this to Rasmussen as the Sens demolish the Wings after a game. We need to continue the bad blood between both teams

Not a fan of this deal, was hoping Laf would ask for $9 million and squeeze the Rags, but looks like he's down with the Drury plan. He'll be a monster if he ever starts getting PP time

I think the deal will grow really nicely.

We're at an awkward point with the cap where both the agents and GMs know it is going to grow, so there is some give and take between what players get because even a deal like this has a lot of risk for the player. In 2 years with the cap at 100M+, this is 2nd line money.

A big factor to consider is that this buys up a lot of UFA years. People are going to compare this to all the other 8Mx7-8 year deals signed by other young stars, but most of those have come off of the ELC, and some of those players didn't even burn 3 full RFA years on their ELC.

Lafreniere is giving up 5 UFA years. Stutzle gave up 4. Guenther only gave up 3. Beniers only gave up 2. Byfield gave up only gave up 1.

The Rangers did very well with Lafreniere. They got him on a bridge deal for very cheap during a window when they were contending, then they bought up 5 UFA years for what is going to end up being in a realistic worst case scenario, market value for a top 6 forward. He only got modest trade protection, and he does not have signing bonuses beyond the third year of the contract.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Dorion talk about the 2018 draft today. He’s list was
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Tkachuk
Bouchard
Hugues
Dobson
Kotka
Zadina
Said not a chance they picked Zadina. If Montreal would have picked Tkachuk. He would have traded back for taking one of the three D

I wonder if he's being 100% honest. Almost look like a list in hindsight

The guy asked him what it would have cost to get the Sens 4th OA pick with the 8th OA and he said "at least a 2nd round pick"

:laugh:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I wonder if he's being 100% honest. Almost look like a list in hindsight

The guy asked him what it would have cost to get the Sens 4th OA pick with the 8th OA and he said "at least a 2nd round pick"

:laugh:
I'm listening now. My french is bad...but did he say DJ was involved in drafting?

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Bruins beat the 1967 Stanley Cup champs in overtime tonight.
Matthews got the assist on Boston's game winning goal in OT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
That leadup to the Bruins OT winner was a classic.

Matthews can't handle some pressure.
Marner is checked out and heading off on a line change, game state be damned,
Reilly thinks the 3 of them are about to push forward. He eventually sprints back to overshoot his own net while the Bruins score.

It's such a Toronto moment. 3 players who have been with each other for years on completely different pages.

Is Matthews the most culpable? Yeah, probably. But I've seen so many bad changes by Marner like that that have cost his team goals. I've seen Reilly misread and panic so many times as well. Nothing has changed.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm listening now. My french is bad...but did he say DJ was involved in drafting?

I hope not lol

I was in and out of the car so I didn't listen to the whole interview

Crosside seems to have listened to it

Bruins beat the 1967 Stanley Cup champs in overtime tonight.
Matthews got the assist on Boston's game winning goal in OT.

:laugh: Damn, there's a few who wouldn't enjoy that on the main boards

Reactions: BigRig4 and Loach

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I hope not lol

I was in and out of the car so I didn't listen to the whole interview

Crosside seems to have listened to it

:laugh: Damn, there's a few who wouldn't enjoy that on the main boards
I don’t remember but I don’t think so. Would have stood out to my ears. Another thing he said the same interview that stood me. He said if he a gm again, he’s man would be Julien. So probably he try to bring him but Melnyk want not to pay

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Just listened to the Dorion hit on BPM:

- He would normally be involved in picks that were top 10 or so
- He said he was less involved in the Boucher pick
- Said in 2018 he was bummed they fell to 4th because they had a clear top 3 (Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk)
- I *think* he said he didn't have any live viewings of Tkachuk that year
- Went to go see Zadina against Baie Comeau and immediately said "we're not drafting this guy". Said there were rumours of character concerns.
- Their list at the end-of-season scouting meeting was (he says if his memory serves him correctly) Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Bouchard, Hughes, Dobson, Kotkaniemi, Zadina. The latter 5 were in the same tier.
- Said he liked Tkachuk at the world juniors but was blown away by Hughes. Said he thought it would take a him a few years to learn defence but that he had Erik Karlsson potential.
- He was willing to move from 3rd to 8th.
- Heard Arizona was taking Tkachuk at 5 if he was there
- Attributed his low goal total to having Greenway as his C.
- Said he respects Bergevin and Julien alot (MTL GM/coach at that time) and thinks their downfall wasn't managing or coaching but development. Says if he became GM again, Julien would be his pick for head coach.
- Viewed Kotkaniemi as a second line centre. Thought it would take him a few years to make the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad