Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I wanna see Brady do this to Rasmussen as the Sens demolish the Wings after a game. We need to continue the bad blood between both teams

Not a fan of this deal, was hoping Laf would ask for $9 million and squeeze the Rags, but looks like he's down with the Drury plan. He'll be a monster if he ever starts getting PP time

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I wanna see Brady do this to Rasmussen as the Sens demolish the Wings after a game. We need to continue the bad blood between both teams

Not a fan of this deal, was hoping Laf would ask for $9 million and squeeze the Rags, but looks like he's down with the Drury plan. He'll be a monster if he ever starts getting PP time

I think the deal will grow really nicely.

We're at an awkward point with the cap where both the agents and GMs know it is going to grow, so there is some give and take between what players get because even a deal like this has a lot of risk for the player. In 2 years with the cap at 100M+, this is 2nd line money.

A big factor to consider is that this buys up a lot of UFA years. People are going to compare this to all the other 8Mx7-8 year deals signed by other young stars, but most of those have come off of the ELC, and some of those players didn't even burn 3 full RFA years on their ELC.

Lafreniere is giving up 5 UFA years. Stutzle gave up 4. Guenther only gave up 3. Beniers only gave up 2. Byfield gave up only gave up 1.

The Rangers did very well with Lafreniere. They got him on a bridge deal for very cheap during a window when they were contending, then they bought up 5 UFA years for what is going to end up being in a realistic worst case scenario, market value for a top 6 forward. He only got modest trade protection, and he does not have signing bonuses beyond the third year of the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad