Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Tim Thomas - top 5 sv% (.920) during his tenure from 05-06 to 2013-14
Tuuka Rask - top 7 sv% (.918) from 2014-15 to 2020-21
Ullmark - 1st in sv% (.924) from 2021-22 to 2023-24
Korpisalo??? - 2024-25

Two decades of elite goaltending followed by Korpisalo? They can't sign Swayman fast enough.
Seriously. Just get it done I say.

I appreciate their optimism, but I think it's misguided wrt to Korpisalo.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
That Devils team is going to be scary good.

When they get Pesce and Hughes back, their D is absoutely stacked.

Dillion-Hamilton
Huges-Pesce
Siegenthaler-Nemec
Kovacevic

That's an absurdly good D core
Really hoping Hughes can have a massive season that warrants a big contract for him so that the Devils have to prematurely start shaking up their roster. Having two stud RD vets like Hamilton and Pesce has me so envious

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Really hoping Hughes can have a massive season that warrants a big contract for him so that the Devils have to prematurely start shaking up their roster. Having two stud RD vets like Hamilton and Pesce has me so envious
I'd be surprised if they don't have him signed to the same contract as his brother by Christmas, 8 x 8ish

• Wow
Reactions: bicboi64

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
That Devils team is going to be scary good.

When they get Pesce and Hughes back, their D is absoutely stacked.

Dillion-Hamilton
Huges-Pesce
Siegenthaler-Nemec
Kovacevic

That's an absurdly good D core

Yeah. And some skill up front too.

Not sure if this is how they actually plan on playing their D pairings but I'd probably switch Dillon and Siegenthaler. Nemec could use Dillon's physical play and protection. Plus I think that Siegenthaler might be better equipped for the top 4 than Dillon (33 years old) moving forward.

Reactions: bicboi64

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
And Korpisalo with a back breaker:

giphy.webp

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I feel like NHL has more incidents though, combined with a format where a 1 game suspension is a reasonable punishment.

In football, a 1 game suspension is equivalent to 5 in the NHL,
In Baseball, there isn't a lot of situations worthy of suspensions, PED use, rarely you get fights, and the odd unsportsmanlike situation.
Basketball suspends guys for instigating altercations on court, seems the NHL gives guys a 5 min timeout in the corner to both participants for the same.

The NHL and hockey in general has a culture that allows stuff that just doesn't happen to the same degree in other sports. Every other sport would have suspended WIFI for what he did to Pare.
The amount of times NHL players cross the line versus comparable situations in the other professional sports is beyond comprehension.

Football is a violent sport, with extreme levels of intense physicality. Players aren't cheap-shotting and punching each other out every game.

Basketball can be pretty physical, mixed with a lot of ego and bravado. Easy for tempers to flare on hard fouls and for things to get out of hand.

Baseball has their cheap-shot equivalent, the pitcher throwing at a player, that results in scrums and scuffles. And they used to have more scenarios with dangerous base-running tactics that the MLB has found a way to remove from the game.

The NHL seems to be the only league where players routinely cross the line, tempers flare and emotions run high seemingly every game. They need to tweak the rules to turn down the volume because this idea of jacked behemoths running around after each other to assault one another is going to end very badly. And already has in the past - Bertuzzi/Moore. It's time for this league to get creative to reduce these instances of vigilante justice cause it's really unappetizing and takes away from the incredible skill level in the game.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Of course. He's still in the new car smell phase over there. Once that wears off he'll either be the guy we saw here or injured.
I seem to remember he played very well when he first got here. As you said, that could wear off. However, if he is playing his L side and gets a good partner, he could be much better than he was here, barring injury. It would be just our luck, wouldn't it? However, keeping him wasn't an option IMO as he's due for a contract next year and there's no way we can get rid of Chabot's contract to make the room. Chabot seems to be the albatross we have to endure.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The amount of times NHL players cross the line versus comparable situations in the other professional sports is beyond comprehension.

Football is a violent sport, with extreme levels of intense physicality. Players aren't cheap-shotting and punching each other out every game.

Basketball can be pretty physical, mixed with a lot of ego and bravado. Easy for tempers to flare on hard fouls and for things to get out of hand.

Baseball has their cheap-shot equivalent, the pitcher throwing at a player, that results in scrums and scuffles. And they used to have more scenarios with dangerous base-running tactics that the MLB has found a way to remove from the game.

The NHL seems to be the only league where players routinely cross the line, tempers flare and emotions run high seemingly every game. They need to tweak the rules to turn down the volume because this idea of jacked behemoths running around after each other to assault one another is going to end very badly. And already has in the past - Bertuzzi/Moore. It's time for this league to get creative to reduce these instances of vigilante justice cause it's really unappetizing and takes away from the incredible skill level in the game.
I thought they'd start putting their foot down more after the Cooke on Savard hit. That was almost attempted murder in hindsight of the repercussions and consequences on Savard's life for a long time, and knowing who did it, you knew damn well he was out headhunting doing it on purpose and nobody should believe otherwise.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Suspensions in the NHL have to be the most confusing and unpredictable of all the pro leagues. Amazing how much they seem to botch it. It's like there's just no consistency whatsoever.
Like refereeing? 🤣 Consistency in the NHL seems to be a foreign concept.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I thought they'd start putting their foot down more after the Cooke on Savard hit. That was almost attempted murder in hindsight of the repercussions and consequences on Savard's life for a long time, and knowing who did it, you knew damn well he was out headhunting doing it on purpose and nobody should believe otherwise.
Yeah, but Parros is in charge now, and he owns a clothing line called make hockey violent again.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Like refereeing? 🤣 Consistency in the NHL seems to be a foreign concept.
Lol, fair! I feel like I can at least cut those guys a little bit of slack because the decisions are usually made in real time and I've done quite a bit of reffing in my life in rec leagues.
Yeah, but Parros is in charge now, and he owns a clothing line called make hockey violent again.
Please tell me you're joking...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad