Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Pierre, if you see this with one of your burner accounts, you're losing the plot. As a controversial figure, if you're going into media, don't get involved with these c-level websites. You need to start your own podcast and go scorched earth. You also should steal the gimmick where you buy a pizza and eat a slice outside of the restaurant so that you can rate it.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
All I can say, he'd better hope that Korpi doesn't play well in front of Boston's team D approach as I wouldn't be surprised if Boston lets him sit out the year.
The Bruins will likely sign Swayman by the end of October once they realize Korpisalo's performance is not up to par. While the Bruins' team defense is commendable, it may not be sufficient to compensate for Korpisalo's shortcomings.

Reactions: BigRig4

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's a tough one. So many of Korpisalo's goals against for us were these benign shots where you wonder how the f*** that went in.

And then he'd make a massive stop, a tough save.

Maybe Boston's coaching and goaltending staff can salvage something out of Korpisalo with a more defensive oriented team. But I'll have to see it to believe it. Did we play well in front of him defensively? No, we weren't great in front of him. He made those hero saves. The problem was he couldn't make the basic save even when there was no screen and it's deflating. Your team has a big moment - a goal, a big save, a penalty kill. And then a wrist shot from the top of the circle with barely any power on it fools him.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There's a reason why teams don't want to sign goalies to big money, long term deals anymore. Most goalies simply aren't that consistent for more than 3 years or so. It's not the 1990s where you could rely on a Brodeur or Roy for a decade of strong play.

Reactions: DrEasy
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
There's a reason why teams don't want to sign goalies to big money, long term deals anymore. Most goalies simply aren't that consistent for more than 3 years or so. It's not the 1990s where you could rely on a Brodeur or Roy for a decade of strong play.
The ideal for us is if Korpi sucks, they panic sign Swayman to a Sergei Bobrovsky deal, then Swayman gets figured out by the league like Matt Murray and the contract turns into an albatross around their cap for the next decade.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024

Not only that, but many of the guys in the league now have never, and probably will never, play 60+ games in a season.

They haven’t been developed to handle that kind of load, and you can’t flip a switch.

So how much can you really pay for 50-55 games of Jeremy Swayman, even if he does give you a .915 Sv% in those games? I’d say 7.5-8M is more than fair.

Martin Brodeur once played 78 games in a season. He had 12 seasons of 70 or more games. That’ll never ever ever happen again.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Neely blows his stack, Swayman’s agent calls him a liar with no $64 million offer on the table, then Swayman puts it out he’s is considering asking for trade:

Nice seeing Swayman put Neely in the vice and maximize his leverage. Boston suddenly in a bit of a crisis and money can solve their problems but the Bruins are cheap for no good reason

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
Neely blows his stack, Swayman’s agent calls him a liar with no $64 million offer on the table, then Swayman puts it out he’s is considering asking for trade:

Nice seeing Swayman put Neely in the vice and maximize his leverage. Boston suddenly in a bit of a crisis and money can solve their problems but the Bruins are cheap for no good reason

I'd take the opposite view.

I wouldn't say the Bruins are in any sort of crisis. The season hasn't started yet and they seem confident that the rest of their team and system will keep them afloat. I suppose if both Korpisalo and Bussi shit the bed, it'll be a more pressing situation, but they could always go out and get a different goalie then. They don't necessarily have to bend over for Swayman.

At this point, the Bruins will be playing games in a week. Swayman will be sitting at home making zero dollars.

The Bruins also aren't really cheap, they spend to the cap every year. They just have a specific philosophy for how they want to allocate their cap, and maybe they don't want to give $9M+ to a goalie who's never played more than 44 games in an NHL season.

I can't blame them.

7.5-8M AAV on a 7-8 year deal for Swayman is more than fair, and I'm surprised he hasn't accepted it.

What team does he think is going to trade for him AND give him more money than that?

If Swayman's primary goal is to "reset the goalie market", as he's said he wants to do in interviews, he's gotten some very bad advice from the people around him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That seems like a pretty small gap to bridge when the alternative is having Korpisalo in between the pipes.
Well if they started at 6.5 they may feel like it's Swayman's responsibility to meet them half way, but I tend to agree, Boston has to get this figured out because the alternative is frightening.

edit: as an aside, the projected cap space of $7,861,667 they have according to puck pedia might shed some light on what they chose that offer...

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Pierre, if you see this with one of your burner accounts, you're losing the plot. As a controversial figure, if you're going into media, don't get involved with these c-level websites. You need to start your own podcast and go scorched earth. You also should steal the gimmick where you buy a pizza and eat a slice outside of the restaurant so that you can rate it.

Uh?

BPM is pretty much the only all sports talk radio station in Montreal(and the province) now with generally high ratings. He could have done a lot worse. Not that I care what he does with his career moving forward but this isn't just a "c level website".

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well if they started at 6.5 they may feel like it's Swayman's responsibility to meet them half way, but I tend to agree, Boston has to get this figured out because the alternative is frightening.

edit: as an aside, the projected cap space of $7,861,667 they have according to puck pedia might shed some light on what they chose that offer...
Right, the cap concerns. That does complicate it. I guess as we found with Pinto, putting yourself in a cap bind doesn't end with the player bailing you out, so gotta figure it out.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Columbus will start the season $1.4 million below the cap floor, and have been given an exemption from penalties provided they are over the floor in a "reasonable time".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad