Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I get the feeling the Bruins made a colossal error here with Ullmark and Swayman. Both are good goalies, but the two of them together, and pushing one another, was a big factor (along with the Bruins being the Bruins and having a steady veteran core) in both going from good to great.

Breaking them up to save a few dollars (which might not even happen now) was short-sighted.
Yeah but you can't be paying your backup goalie 7-8 million, which is what Ullmark is gonna make once he hits UFA.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I get the feeling the Bruins made a colossal error here with Ullmark and Swayman. Both are good goalies, but the two of them together, and pushing one another, was a big factor (along with the Bruins being the Bruins and having a steady veteran core) in both going from good to great.

Breaking them up to save a few dollars (which might not even happen now) was short-sighted.
Ullmark was very clear that he didn't want to stay in a tandem and was looking to be in a position of being the clear starter with a starters load.

They would have lost him to UFA next year if that were their plan. That said, I'd have done that over taking Korpisalo lol.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah but you can't be paying your backup goalie 7-8 million, which is what Ullmark is gonna make once he hits UFA.
I think they handled it pretty well. Once swayman is signed that is. Which will get done soon.
Korpi should be a starter backup tweener at a much better price than Ullmark. Not saying he’s as good but he could be close in a backup role.

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think they handled it pretty well. Once swayman is signed that is. Which will get done soon.
Korpi should be a starter backup tweener.

The way I see it is that if we bought Korpisalo out, he likely gets 1 year 1M somewhere, if he is lucky. Just based on name value and there not being a lot of veteran pro backups.

It could work out for the Bruins, and maybe they have an idea of how they could fix his game. With that said, I don't like the idea of portraying taking the worst goalie in the league on a 4 year term at 3M as smart.

It would be one thing if they got value for taking him. If you take Ullmark out of the trade, a 1st to take Korpisalo would have been fine.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not sure about Boston's moves this off-season.

Giving 7.75M x 7YRs to 29YR old Elias Lindholm coming off of a 44 point season is extremely risky to say the least.

5M x 6YRs to Zadorov isn't bad in a vacuum, but considering he's probably going to be their 3rd best LD soon (if not already), that's a lot to pay a 3rd pairing D.

Ullmark trade was a disaster. Taking on a 3M cap dump backup and only getting a late 1st in return for an elite level goaltender was a mistake.

And they let DeBrusk leave for Vancouver when they are in desperate need of quality scoring talent.

Sweeney has earned his reputation as one of the league's best GMs, but this off-season may put a dent in that.

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Naw, he’s been laughed at since the 2015 draft, where he had 3 first rounders in a row.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. His 2015 draft was embarrassing but since then he's been a great GM in terms of his trades, signings, later round picks and overall roster construction.

Sure he had a gem handed to him in guys like Bergeron, Rask, etc., but till this day everyone is waiting on the Bruins to decline but Sweeney has kept them not only competitive, but at the top of the Atlantic

Reactions: LiseL

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The 2015 draft was hilarious, but I can't fault a GM who has managed to keep Boston's window open like he has.

They were a game away from winning the cup. Their drafting overall has not been fantastic top to bottom, but they added two superstars (Swayman+McAvoy) without having to bottom out and draft high. There are a few key players they drafted like Carlo, Frederic, Lohrei. So they have gotten more than enough through the draft.

He has also done well enforcing an identity for the team, and finding under valued players with size, who can actually play. So while he hasn't won every trade, he's done well to find a lot of hidden gems who weren't valued as high as they are now since playing on Boston.

They have lost in the first round a lot, but they should get some goodwill from that cup final run.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The 2015 draft was hilarious, but I can't fault a GM who has managed to keep Boston's window open like he has.

They were a game away from winning the cup. Their drafting overall has not been fantastic top to bottom, but they added two superstars (Swayman+McAvoy) without having to bottom out and draft high. There are a few key players they drafted like Carlo, Frederic, Lohrei. So they have gotten more than enough through the draft.

He has also done well enforcing an identity for the team, and finding under valued players with size, who can actually play. So while he hasn't won every trade, he's done well to find a lot of hidden gems who weren't valued as high as they are now since playing on Boston.

They have lost in the first round a lot, but they should get some goodwill from that cup final run.
Pasternak at 28 is a bigger surprise than McAvoy. Pasternak at 28, Bergeron in the 2nd, Marchand in the 3rd. Add an assist in there when Muckler screwed Hossa and Chara splits for Boston because of it. That's some good luck.

Also in our division you've got TB getting Kucherov at 58.

You have to be pretty damn lucky these days to get an elite player outside the top 15.

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pasternak at 28 is a bigger surprise than McAvoy. Pasternak at 28, Bergeron in the 2nd, Marchand in the 3rd. Add an assist in there when Muckler screwed Hossa and Chara splits for Boston because of it. That's some good luck.

You have to be pretty damn lucky these days to get an elite player outside the top 15.
Not Sweeney, but yeah that's a lot of top 15 caliber picks well outside the top 15. Probably could add Krejci at 63 to that list too.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

The discussion was about Sweeney's tenure. I was pointing out that while he inherited a strong team, he has done a good job restocking it with stars and shaping it in a way to extend their window.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The discussion was about Sweeney's tenure. I was pointing out that while he inherited a strong team, he has done a good job restocking it with stars and shaping it in a way to extend their window.
I kind of liken Sweeney's situation to Yzerman in TB. They both inherited some great pieces. Ya for sure he's done a great job because they've remained competitive but I think both he and Yzerman had easier jobs to do. Sweeney had a captain in Bergeron that created a cap. Players signed under it. Pasta signed cheap. Marchand signed cheap. It became a destination based on winning and a culture of playing for less.

Pasta didn't sign cheap 2nd time around. Neither did McAvoy. Swayman won't. I think the bubble has burst and his good fortune is running out.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Not sure about Boston's moves this off-season.

Giving 7.75M x 7YRs to 29YR old Elias Lindholm coming off of a 44 point season is extremely risky to say the least.

5M x 6YRs to Zadorov isn't bad in a vacuum, but considering he's probably going to be their 3rd best LD soon (if not already), that's a lot to pay a 3rd pairing D.

Ullmark trade was a disaster. Taking on a 3M cap dump backup and only getting a late 1st in return for an elite level goaltender was a mistake.

And they let DeBrusk leave for Vancouver when they are in desperate need of quality scoring talent.

Sweeney has earned his reputation as one of the league's best GMs, but this off-season may put a dent in that.
Debrusk walking is not good. Lindholm could be bad. Overall the roster looks great imo. That d squad is crazy big. Will be interested to see how they do this year.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I kind of liken Sweeney's situation to Yzerman in TB. They both inherited some great pieces. Ya for sure he's done a great job because they've remained competitive but I think both he and Yzerman had easier jobs to do. Sweeney had a captain in Bergeron that created a cap. Players signed under it. Pasta signed cheap. Marchand signed cheap. It became a destination based on winning and a culture of playing for less.

Pasta didn't sign cheap 2nd time around. Neither did McAvoy. Swayman won't. I think the bubble has burst and his good fortune is running out.
You're selling them short. A few extra bucks to spend isn't why boston has been so consistently good for so long.

They have excellent systems, coaching and player development (especially in net). They built a winning culture and get full buy-in.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Yzerman acquired Kucherov, Point, Palat, Cernak, Killorn, Johnson, vasilevski, McDonough, sergachev. Don't think it's the same.

Debrusk walking is not good. Lindholm could be bad. Overall the roster looks great imo. That d squad is crazy big. Will be interested to see how they do this year.
Their d core is unbelievable for sure. Forwards are light after Pasta and Marchand. Hate the forward lindholm deal, he has already started slowing down. It's fine now but gonna age terribly. I think they are better than last year.

Reactions: Icelevel

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yzerman acquired Kucherov, Point, Palat, Cernak, Killorn, Johnson, vasilevski, McDonough, sergachev. Don't think it's the same.

Their d core is unbelievable for sure. Forwards are light after Pasta and Marchand. Hate the forward lindholm deal, he has already started slowing down. It's fine now but gonna age terribly. I think they are better than last year.
ya, Yzerman acquired Kucherov. But it was kind of lucky was my point. 58th overall. The rest of the guys you mentioned are good players. Kucherov is the HoF player. Not many HoF players come form 58th overall. Or from the 2nd round like Bergeron did

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
ya, Yzerman acquired Kucherov. But it was kind of lucky was my point. 58th overall. The rest of the guys you mentioned are good players. Kucherov is the HoF player. Not many HoF players come form 58th overall. Or from the 2nd round like Bergeron did
Theres some luck involved for sure but Yzerman did an amazing job building a deep talent pool outside of the first round. Tampa won multiple cups and got to 4 finals since 2015 . Yzerman built that team Sweeney did not. Vasilevski is the best goalie in hockey Point is a team canada best on best top 10 center in hockey. List goes on and on built a great culture.

Sweeney didn't pick Bergeron that's the difference that's why the situations aren't the same.

If anything Brisebois is like Sweeney. Inherited a team that was built already and kept it going and competitive.

I actually think Tampa is more likely to take a step back than Boston this year if it's one of the top 4 teams in the division.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's not luck when you get that many and build a core that wins multiple cups and go to multiple finals. Yzerman built that team Sweeny did not. Vasilevski is the best goalie in hockey Point is a team canada best on best top 10 center in hockey.

Sweeney didn't pick Bergeron that's the difference that's why the situations aren't the same.
Drafting has a huge luck component to it, you're drafting 17 year old kids, and if you're looking outside the first round, there is a ton of uncertainty in how they will develop, and that's ignoring that 31 other teams get a chance to pick that guy earlier than you. Even if you want to argue that Tbay knew better about those prospects, you have to acknowledge that if they knew just how good they could be, they'd have taken them earlier, they'd have taken Point ahead of Masin or MacLeod if they realized he had the potential to be a top 10 center, they'd have taken Kucherov ahead of Namestnikov or Vasilevsky over Koekoek.

It's not like Point was an unknown, McKeens had him ranked 43rd, FC 36th, but Tbay waited till 79. There's luck that he was even available.
Vasilevski was taken right around where Bob had him ranked,
Kucherov was ranked 43rd on McKeens, and 56 with TSN, so he's not an off the board pick that they knew better on, he could have easily gone before they had a chance at him.

That's not to say that Tbay didn't scout well, just that luck is always going to play a big role in drafts no matter what team it is, and if you do get lucky once or twice, it can play a big role in the fortune of the team;..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad