Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I get the feeling the Bruins made a colossal error here with Ullmark and Swayman. Both are good goalies, but the two of them together, and pushing one another, was a big factor (along with the Bruins being the Bruins and having a steady veteran core) in both going from good to great.

Breaking them up to save a few dollars (which might not even happen now) was short-sighted.
Yeah but you can't be paying your backup goalie 7-8 million, which is what Ullmark is gonna make once he hits UFA.

Reactions: Icelevel

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I get the feeling the Bruins made a colossal error here with Ullmark and Swayman. Both are good goalies, but the two of them together, and pushing one another, was a big factor (along with the Bruins being the Bruins and having a steady veteran core) in both going from good to great.

Breaking them up to save a few dollars (which might not even happen now) was short-sighted.
Ullmark was very clear that he didn't want to stay in a tandem and was looking to be in a position of being the clear starter with a starters load.

They would have lost him to UFA next year if that were their plan. That said, I'd have done that over taking Korpisalo lol.

Reactions: BigRig4

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah but you can't be paying your backup goalie 7-8 million, which is what Ullmark is gonna make once he hits UFA.
I think they handled it pretty well. Once swayman is signed that is. Which will get done soon.
Korpi should be a starter backup tweener at a much better price than Ullmark. Not saying he’s as good but he could be close in a backup role.

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think they handled it pretty well. Once swayman is signed that is. Which will get done soon.
Korpi should be a starter backup tweener.

The way I see it is that if we bought Korpisalo out, he likely gets 1 year 1M somewhere, if he is lucky. Just based on name value and there not being a lot of veteran pro backups.

It could work out for the Bruins, and maybe they have an idea of how they could fix his game. With that said, I don't like the idea of portraying taking the worst goalie in the league on a 4 year term at 3M as smart.

It would be one thing if they got value for taking him. If you take Ullmark out of the trade, a 1st to take Korpisalo would have been fine.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not sure about Boston's moves this off-season.

Giving 7.75M x 7YRs to 29YR old Elias Lindholm coming off of a 44 point season is extremely risky to say the least.

5M x 6YRs to Zadorov isn't bad in a vacuum, but considering he's probably going to be their 3rd best LD soon (if not already), that's a lot to pay a 3rd pairing D.

Ullmark trade was a disaster. Taking on a 3M cap dump backup and only getting a late 1st in return for an elite level goaltender was a mistake.

And they let DeBrusk leave for Vancouver when they are in desperate need of quality scoring talent.

Sweeney has earned his reputation as one of the league's best GMs, but this off-season may put a dent in that.

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Naw, he’s been laughed at since the 2015 draft, where he had 3 first rounders in a row.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. His 2015 draft was embarrassing but since then he's been a great GM in terms of his trades, signings, later round picks and overall roster construction.

Sure he had a gem handed to him in guys like Bergeron, Rask, etc., but till this day everyone is waiting on the Bruins to decline but Sweeney has kept them not only competitive, but at the top of the Atlantic

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The 2015 draft was hilarious, but I can't fault a GM who has managed to keep Boston's window open like he has.

They were a game away from winning the cup. Their drafting overall has not been fantastic top to bottom, but they added two superstars (Swayman+McAvoy) without having to bottom out and draft high. There are a few key players they drafted like Carlo, Frederic, Lohrei. So they have gotten more than enough through the draft.

He has also done well enforcing an identity for the team, and finding under valued players with size, who can actually play. So while he hasn't won every trade, he's done well to find a lot of hidden gems who weren't valued as high as they are now since playing on Boston.

They have lost in the first round a lot, but they should get some goodwill from that cup final run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad