Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I am going to guess that McGroarty goes for less than people expect. Probably a prospect drafted in the first or 2nd round in 2022 or earlier, and then a few 2nd or 3rd round picks.

I don't think the Jets will get top 10 pick type value..

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Went for Braydon Yager
If that's the case then the Pens did really well imo. Not that Yager is a bad prospect, but McGroarty is more ready now, and there's less risk of him translating him game imo.

Though the Jets also made the best of a bad situation.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Went for Braydon Yager

I figured they would try to get away with acquiring him without it being Yager.

Flipping him for Yager is way too fair given the context of the situation. I figured that the Jets would have to settle for a three quarters for a dollar type situation, where they don't get full value, and they have to take multiple pieces.

I'm just going off of anecdotal evidence, generalities, and other people's opinions about the prospects, because I haven't seen them play. While McGroarty seems to be ranked higher, they at least got a legitimate 1st round talent who was only drafted a year ago.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Who they got for a goalie? I was thinking they would turn some draft/prospect capital into Askarov.

I hope they stop making trades because the Gorton/Hughes duo has been killing it (they acquired Dach, Newhook, Laine, Heineman, Perreault, Barron, Matheson, etc)

Their goalie of the future at the moment (despite Montembault, Primeau and Dobes) is Jacob Fowler. He's still 19 but look at his resume the last 2 years :

Absolutely win for Kent Hughes :mad:

MTL gave up a 24 year old all situation defender that can be their 3LD, but they have a plethora of developing LD that are stuck in a log jam.

In return MTL, they get a 2nd from a team that is still a bottom 15 team and they get a chance to do another Monahan type deal by having Laine for 2 years. Laine is instantly their best offensive player and if he doesn't work out, his cap hit won't interfere with other players needing contracts. Heck they can retain and flip him at the upcoming deadline if Laine returns to 30g form.

Super upset that MTL weaponized their capspace on a gamble like this that works for them if Laine ends up panning out or not.

While we spent our cap space and draft capital on Stepans and Gudbransons!

Jordan Harris was really an odd man out in Montreal, they HAD to trade him at some point, like they already moved Kovacevic (who they got for free), for a 4th round pick.

Let's not talk about the Monahan trade... Upsetting you say? :laugh:

Reactions: bicboi64

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ya what a shame after the offseason they had. I've really grown to like that team and obviously the Senators aren't going to be contenders next year, so I'll keep following the Oilers closely. I feel like Holloway was a big part of the push last year even though he didn't light up the scoreboard and that one really stings even though they have plenty up front. I liked Broberg's play too, but small sample size and being a LD made it tough to overpay him so much. Just sort of seems like a waste to see those guys go to a team that likely doesn't sniff the playoffs, but they got their bag, so all the power to them I guess.

Ultimately, the Oilers will probably be fine because these guys were depth mostly, but obviously a D addition is basically required now with them so thin on the backend.
It looked good from far but it seems it was far from good wrt to signing a couple of the prospects they drafted and developed and just looked like they were ready to take the next step. Its reminiscent of signing Korpisalo and Tarasenko and leaving Pinto blowing in the wind.

I figured they would try to get away with acquiring him without it being Yager.

Flipping him for Yager is way too fair given the context of the situation. I figured that the Jets would have to settle for a three quarters for a dollar type situation, where they don't get full value, and they have to take multiple pieces.

I'm just going off of anecdotal evidence, generalities, and other people's opinions about the prospects, because I haven't seen them play. While McGroarty seems to be ranked higher, they at least got a legitimate 1st round talent who was only drafted a year ago.
I'd rather McGroarty but yah he put the Jets in a tough spot and they got something respectable.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It looked good from far but it seems it was far from good wrt to signing a couple of the prospects they drafted and developed and just looked like they were ready to take the next step. Its reminiscent of signing Korpisalo and Tarasenko and leaving Pinto blowing in the wind.
Ya they do need to wear some egg on their part. It definitely draws some comparables to that mess of Dorion's, but not as bad imo. The Senators left themselves not enough to even give Pinto a realistic offer at all, whereas I think the Oilers more played with fire trying to treat modern RFA's like they all used to be treated and have to accept a reasonable contract based on games played, etc. They bet and lost.

I think it's fair to say though that neither Broberg nor Holloway should be making what the Blues paid them, they're being paid entirely on potential, but obviously the Oilers offers weren't getting it done either and they messed up going too low leading to all this. They still had the ability to match if they really wanted to.

Also, the Korpisalo mistake is in another stratosphere of being extremely predictable and I can't say they did anything that bad this summer. That was obviously a mistake on day 1 to anyone but the unabridged optimists imo. I still like what the Oilers did bring in and with room to match the offers, they obviously had the room to offer more to those guys, so I don't quite look at it as what they brought in led to losing these guys, they just maybe weren't prioritized or taken seriously enough.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I absolutely agree that only the teams that have the resources and finances to go to war all out can use OS's, but let's not pretend like Dorion didn't have $. Dorion had money, he just chose to spend it on aging vets that sucked and buy outs instead of being savvy enough to offer sheet.

Armstrong doesn't really care if he creates enemies by adding talent to his team, that takes balls and some calculated risks. It wasn't a petty offer sheet like Carolina to KK, but it was taking advantage of a team in cap hell.

Even the Carolin-KK situation was good for the league, even if the KK turned out good, maybe that will tech Habs management that they can't be giving out or keeping bad contracts like Gallagher, Anderson, Armia, etc,.. if they want to keep and retain good talent.

GMs that consistently get taken advantage of and lose in most of their transactions deserve to get fired and if a team or two OS'd us during the Dorion years, maybe Staios would've had the sense to fire him sooner.

Plus a well respected guy like Armstrong is starting to break the mold of dinosaurs in the league who keep reinforcing this taboo of OS's. Armstrong is refuting the notion of this code and its good for the game.

Was there a statement issued for the Blues giving the Oilers an additional 3rd and Fischer? lol that sounds like they felt bad for stealing 2 young players

They stole them true, but at the same time they are overpaying them, not guaranteed they still have a lot of NHL upside left to reach

And I think something very IMPORTANT is lost on many people. Look at when Andlauer took control of the team, look at when Staios had his VP position, look at when Dorion was fired. It all happened within months. They probably wanted to fire Dorion already but took control of the team just before TC, really awful timing, had to wait for something to happen to have an excuse to fire Dorion and lol it may have happened SOONER than they expected.

Sounds Montreal tough - we have 1 guy to defend all these floaters.

I’m not afraid of Montreal, they can score and they can skate, they just don’t have real men on their team and real men win hockey games

That debate of course happened on the main boards and someone posted a thread that I can't find but :

Justin Barron (D) 6'2" 201
Kaiden Guhle (D) 6'2" 205
Lane Hutson (D) 5'10" 161
Mike Matheson (D) 6'2" 187
David Savard (D) 6'1" 234
Jayden Struble (D) 6'0" 194
Arber Xhekaj (D) 6'4" 238

Josh Anderson (RW/LW) 6'3" 220
Joel Armia (RW) 6'4" 218
Cole Caufield (LW/RW) 5'8" 174
Kirby Dach (C) 6'4" 216
Christian Dvorak (LW/C) 6'1" 201
Jake Evans (C/RW) 6'0" 185
Brendan Gallagher (RW) 5'9" 183
Patrik Laine (LW/RW) 6'5" 216
Alex Newhook (C/LW) 5'10" 190
Michael Pezzetta (LW/C) 6'1" 216
Juraj Slafkovský (RW/LW) 6'3" 238
Nick Suzuki (C) 5'11" 212

They have 4 smaller guys, the rest are all tall and/or heavy. David Savard for example is only 6'1 but has TRUNKS for legs, it's not even funny. Suzuki is not 6'0? The guy hasn't missed a freaking NHL game, already an iron man. Pezzetta another 6'1 guy, pretty tough. That team is easily tougher/harder to play against than the Sens, not even close.

A lot of coping, this stuff is unfortunately outdated. Their tides turned around when they changed their whole management and scouting, and mainly moved on from Trevor Timmins. I was "at peace" with the Habs as long as that guy was there.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Was there a statement issued for the Blues giving the Oilers an additional 3rd and Fischer? lol that sounds like they felt bad for stealing 2 young players

They stole them true, but at the same time they are overpaying them, not guaranteed they still have a lot of NHL upside left to reach

And I think something very IMPORTANT is lost on many people. Look at when Andlauer took control of the team, look at when Staios had his VP position, look at when Dorion was fired. It all happened within months. They probably wanted to fire Dorion already but took control of the team just before TC, really awful timing, had to wait for something to happen to have an excuse to fire Dorion and lol it may have happened SOONER than they expected.

That debate of course happened on the main boards and someone posted a thread that I can't find but :

Justin Barron (D) 6'2" 201
Kaiden Guhle (D) 6'2" 205
Lane Hutson (D) 5'10" 161
Mike Matheson (D) 6'2" 187
David Savard (D) 6'1" 234
Jayden Struble (D) 6'0" 194
Arber Xhekaj (D) 6'4" 238

Josh Anderson (RW/LW) 6'3" 220
Joel Armia (RW) 6'4" 218
Cole Caufield (LW/RW) 5'8" 174
Kirby Dach (C) 6'4" 216
Christian Dvorak (LW/C) 6'1" 201
Jake Evans (C/RW) 6'0" 185
Brendan Gallagher (RW) 5'9" 183
Patrik Laine (LW/RW) 6'5" 216
Alex Newhook (C/LW) 5'10" 190
Michael Pezzetta (LW/C) 6'1" 216
Juraj Slafkovský (RW/LW) 6'3" 238
Nick Suzuki (C) 5'11" 212

They have 4 smaller guys, the rest are all tall and/or heavy. David Savard for example is only 6'1 but has TRUNKS for legs, it's not even funny. Suzuki is not 6'0? The guy hasn't missed a freaking NHL game, already an iron man. Pezzetta another 6'1 guy, pretty tough. That team is easily tougher/harder to play against than the Sens, not even close.

A lot of coping, this stuff is unfortunately outdated. Their tides turned around when they changed their whole management and scouting, and mainly moved on from Trevor Timmins. I was "at peace" with the Habs as long as that guy was there.

The fact that Lane Hutson is the saviour is everything you need to know about how people are evaluating the Habs this season - they think it’s a skillz competition so they are all waiving their toasty hot dogs around but when the Ottawa Senators roll into town they’ll learn the lesson that the NHL isn’t a bikini contest it’s a game of Will and Montreal doesn’t have any Will

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The fact that Lane Hutson is the saviour is everything you need to know about how people are evaluating the Habs this season - they think it’s a skillz competition so they are all waiving their toasty hot dogs around but when the Ottawa Sena roll into town they’ll learn the lesson ttorshat the NHL isn’t a bikini contest it’s a game of Will and Montreal doesn’t have any Will
I mean, the Sens have been out of the playoffs for close to a decade, and a laughing stock for nearly as long. Not sure why we are pretending that they are some well oiled machine Montreal sdhould be striving to be and follow what they are doing.

Reactions: bicboi64

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The fact that Lane Hutson is the saviour is everything you need to know about how people are evaluating the Habs this season - they think it’s a skillz competition so they are all waiving their toasty hot dogs around but when the Ottawa Senators roll into town they’ll learn the lesson that the NHL isn’t a bikini contest it’s a game of Will and Montreal doesn’t have any Will

lol do you think the Ottawa Senators scare anybody? As a team or by their physicality?

Lane Hutson is far from their "saviour". They could absolutely do without him long term

Matheson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Struble - Barron
Xhekaj

And yes, skill and hockey IQ is what wins hockey games. You're not going to win with a team full of Imamas

A part of our scouting and fanbase really need to get updated to the mid 2020's

I mean, the Sens have been out of the playoffs for close to a decade, and a laughing stock for nearly as long. Not sure why we are pretending that they are some well oiled machine Montreal sdhould be striving to be and follow what they are doing.

Hard to believe some of the narrative we can read on this board. We are now what the Sabres were a few years ago, a team that seems to be forever rebuilding. We have no lesson to give to anybody. People constantly laugh at the Sens and how they are "built for the playoffs". It's getting embarrassing, need to stop this narrative NOW.

We had the luxury to go into a rebuild with stars in their prime for trade and we're not even a contender 8 years later? Let's be real god damnit, our rebuild has been pitiful, even though it looked real good at some point. Needed the right people in place to make it successful and we didn't have that.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
LOL!

The thought of Korpse opening the season as the Bs starter has me feeling a little fat and sassy this morning.

They will get him signed right before training camp. He probably wants something like 8.5-9.5 million, and they are trying to grind him down, knowing that training camp is the soft deadline where there are actual consequences to him being unsigned.

An offer sheet seems unlikely, since it would probably take 2 first round picks and 11.44M for Boston not to match. Utah could do it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They will get him signed right before training camp. He probably wants something like 8.5-9.5 million, and they are trying to grind him down, knowing that training camp is the soft deadline where there are actual consequences to him being unsigned.

An offer sheet seems unlikely, since it would probably take 2 first round picks and 11.44M for Boston not to match. Utah could do it.
It’s too late for an offer sheet now.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Lane Hutson not really being a key cog for the Habs just shows how much depth they have. He would be a top 3 prospect for us.

He was clowning NHLers in some of his shifts last year, still a lot to work on, but if he hits the upside is high. And if he doesn't they don't really take that much of a hit.

Reactions: CDN24

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
There's no deadline to signing an offer sheet that I'm aware off, the only deadline is for a team to match, they have 7 days from the date a player signs the offer sheet.
Ahh ok, some reason I thought it had to be before the last date for an arbritation hearing, at least that’s what I thought Bob Stauffer said.

Reactions: Micklebot

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It's depressing how much better the Habs are doing at fast tracking their rebuild compared to what we did under Dorion.

Hughes added cheap young RFAs like Dach and Newhook who could be under the team's control for many years, and weaponized his cap space by getting paid to take on a 26YR old potential PPG winger in Laine.

Meanwhile Dorion traded for DeBrincat and Chychrun. Better players but they only had 2-3 years of team control. Ended up losing an insane amount of value selling low on them after renting them for a year.

3 years ago we looked like a potential powerhouse and they had one of the worst futures of any team in the league. Now I think the consensus would be that they are in a better position than us going forward. Pretty sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy and CDN24

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's depressing how much better the Habs are doing at fast tracking their rebuild compared to what we did under Dorion.

Hughes added cheap young RFAs like Dach and Newhook who could be under the team's control for many years, and weaponized his cap space by getting paid to take on a 26YR old potential PPG winger.

Meanwhile Dorion traded for DeBrincat and Chychrun. Better players but they only had 2-3 years of team control. Ended up losing an insane amount of value selling low on them after renting them for a year.

3 years ago we looked like a potential powerhouse and they had one of the worst futures of any team in the league. Now I think the consensus would be that they are in a better position than us going forward. Pretty sad.
It's not like it should surprise anyone though. We all called it. We knew he was in over his head years before the worst even came to light and he showed that basically from day 1 with some pretty questionable moves. He was a terrible GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad