Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Holloway at 2.2 is fine. Pretty sure that's how they got the 3rd and prospect for free for not matching him.
Fine for us, without a doubt. Not worth that amount with what he's shown or done, but would be fine for a team like the Sens or Blues.

For the Oilers, it definitely isn't. Even this year they need all the savings they can get. But next year, they are absolutely screwed. They are currently paying Drai and Bouchard 12 million, this time next year it's going to be ~24-25 million. They are going to be carrying the exact same core, but are going to be paying an extra ~11-13 million for them.

Then add another 4/5 mill to McD the year after, they can't be paying for potential, or overpaying depth players, which Holloway is for them. Even the 1.2 mill they saved from going from Holloway to Podkolzin is significant for the Oilers over the next few seasons.

Broberg it wasn't even close to them being able to match, 4.6 for him is way too much for a team like the Oilers, and any team not looking to get him on an offer sheet. Could be a very good add for the Blues, I think he's going to be a solid 17-18 minute a night guy for them next year, with 15-20 points; but he could also be an expensive addition to their bottom pairing. He played well in the playoffs, but he wasn't getting top 4 icetime, he was a 15-17 minute a night guy, and has averaged 11 mins a night in his career otherwise. A jump into prominent top 4 icetime and responsibilites may not be very seamless for the Blues.

Last edited:
Reactions: bicboi64

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Fine for us, without a doubt. Not worth that amount with what he's shown or done, but would be fine for a team like the Sens or Blues.

For the Oilers, it definitely isn't. Even this year they need all the savings they can get. But next year, they are absolutely screwed. They are currently paying Drai and Bouchard 12 million, this time next year it's going to be ~24-25 million. They are going to be carrying the exact same core, but are going to be paying an extra ~11-13 million for them.

Then add another 4/5 mill to McD the year after, they can't be paying for potential, or overpaying depth players, which Holloway is for them. Even the 1.2 mill they saved from going from Holloway to Podkolzin is significant for the Oilers over the next few seasons.

Broberg it wasn't even close to them being able to match, 4.6 for him is way too much for a team like the Oilers, and any team not looking to get him on an offer sheet. Could be a very good add for the Blues, I think he's going to be a solid 17-18 minute a night guy for them next year, with 15-20 points; but he could be an expensive addition to their bottom pairing. He played well in the playoffs, but he wasn't getting top 4 icetime, he was a 15-17 minute a night guy, and has averaged 11 mins a night in his career otherwise. A jump into prominent top 4 icetime and responsibilites may not be very seamless for the Blues.
Its a low end price for a 3rd line player its actually under payment for that role, thats why young players are so valuable for contenders even at 2.2. Its absolutely fine he has shown quite a bit of not only upside but he can play multiple roles up and down the lineup. Its actually exactly the type of player they should be looking for because of his versatility and upside. If anything he was a good fit. He would have been their 9th highest paid forward and is almost a million behind their 8th. Skinner was the player they did not need and frankly dont think helps their team as much as Holloway. That was a very poorly calculated move by management.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The Blues gave up a ton to get Broberg+Holloway, at the same time, Edmonton got very little in return. It was an example of how inefficient offer sheets are.

I'll assume the 5th they got from PIT and Paul Fischer cancel each other out.

They gave up a 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, and 10.7M of cap space above the minimum cost of filling those roster spots.

(*They spent 13.8 of cap space total, but they would have to pay 775k x 4 to fill those roster spots at minimum so I am not counting that towards the cap they spent.)

10.7M of cap space is probably worth another few 2nd or 3rd round picks depending on the player they take as a cap dump. Using the same formula of deducting 775k per player because they take up a roster spot, Glass+Ceci got PIT/SJ two 3rds and a 5th for 4.2M worth of cap space (their contracts cost 5.75, but they take up two roster spots, so it would be 5.75M-(.775*2).

To me, this veers on a lose/lose situation, but for the Blues they may have a very high assessment of Broberg and think he can be developed into a top 4 defenseman. If he ends up developing into a key part of their core, it will obviously have been a good deal for them.

I get why St.Louis likely didn't want to approach Edmonton with a trade, because they may have thought by tipping them off, Edmonton could have met Broberg's demands which were apparently around 2M per. With that said, you can look at the totality of the situation and probably come up with a trade that works much better for both sides.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Montreal’s philosophy of building with Euro’s because they will like the European culture in Montreal is doomed for failure - it’s what makes you pass on an Iginla for a small Russian and trade for Laine.

Montreal has been a soft team for 30 years and it just continues, disgrace to a team that once understood what winning was better than any other pro sports team in the world

Patrick said it best when he left, they went from a team that only has a championship standard to a team who thought the playoffs was an accomplish,ent. Loser mentality in Montreal, they are afraid to even try to win and just do this euro B.S. thinking they are smart

They passed on Brady Tkachuk, and selected a Euro

1724186754883.png

Reactions: Tuna99 and aragorn

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I remember the hype around Toronto, never really fell for it even though everyone (even some Sens fans) were getting worried… I wasn’t because after their big guns, they didn’t have much depth quality.

It is very different with what I am observing in Montreal right now… they have a ton of Pinto/Greig quality prospects after their stars… guys like Roy, Beck, Hage, Struble, etc are going to provide that support quality

Not sure why you say that about their blue line, it is seen as their strength… Hutson, Reinbacher, Ghule, Mailloux, Struble, Barron, Xhekaj, etc… lots of talent and depth

And in goal, they have one of the best prospects out there. We have to hope that he busts
Who they got for a goalie? I was thinking they would turn some draft/prospect capital into Askarov.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Who they got for a goalie? I was thinking they would turn some draft/prospect capital into Askarov.
Fowler in the NCAA. Last year in his 1st year, albeit on a powerhouse Boston College team, he put up great numbers. 32-6-1 , 2.14 GAA and a .926 sav %. 2023 draft pick.

Reactions: Loach

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Fowler in the NCAA. Last year in his 1st year, albeit on a powerhouse Boston College team, he put up great numbers. 32-6-1 , 2.14 GAA and a .926 sav %. 2023 draft pick.
3 to 4 years away from being a backup for a year, then starter. Sooooo 4 to 5 away? More if you include rfa contract. I'd still go get Askarov. Deal with having too many goalies later.

Reactions: CDN24

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
3 to 4 years away from being a backup for a year, then starter. Sooooo 4 to 5 away? More if you include rfa contract. I'd still go get Askarov. Deal with having too many goalies later.
The short term plan is Montembault and Primeau. Hard to tell how good they are on a crap team. Both significantly outplayed Jake Allen last year if that means anything. Goalies are voodoo so its hard to know. I would not expend significant assets on an unproven Askarov... reminds me of Samsonov. Not sure a rebuilding team is the right place for a guy trying to break in- need mental toughness in that role- something Montembault has in spades. I don't think they pursue Askarov. Hughes philosophy is not spend assets too quick on unknowns or commit long term to any free agent yet, find out what you have first then use draft capital in trades or free agency to fill the holes but find out where the holes are 1st. Gotta let his kids develop a bit before finding identifying those holes

1724244155781.png

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I admit it may be possible that Montreal wins one game against us this year, provided they get help from the refs like usual.

Reactions: aragorn

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Absolutely win for Kent Hughes :mad:

MTL gave up a 24 year old all situation defender that can be their 3LD, but they have a plethora of developing LD that are stuck in a log jam.

In return MTL, they get a 2nd from a team that is still a bottom 15 team and they get a chance to do another Monahan type deal by having Laine for 2 years. Laine is instantly their best offensive player and if he doesn't work out, his cap hit won't interfere with other players needing contracts. Heck they can retain and flip him at the upcoming deadline if Laine returns to 30g form.

Super upset that MTL weaponized their capspace on a gamble like this that works for them if Laine ends up panning out or not.

Reactions: SENStastic

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Ottawa could pick up the Montreal team and throw them into the reds and only person on Montreal who would be bothered by that would be Marty St Louis.

Montreal is building a team that complains to the refs
I' mean Arber Xhekaj can literally beat up everyone on our team except Brady, and we don't want our captain taken out of a game for beating tf out of a 3rd liner.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Smart and quick witted only if you have the finances and ressources to go "at war" with your rivals. If your out-numbered, out-ressourced, out-trained (think in a war setting reality) etc, you're just f***ing dumb.

Of course GMs should be taking advantage of other GMs but the thing is an OS doesn't go unnoticed and may look as "barbarian" to many GMs, that you find it cool or not. The question then becomes : how many ennemies can you afford?

Look at the Aho/Kotkaniemi situation... Carolina was pretty resentful about the Aho OS so they decided to steal Kotkaniemi away from Montreal... luckily for the Habs, JK never really developed so no big deal for them in the end but imagine if the guy turned into a very good player?

So it's about thinking about long term consequences. I am not saying you can't operate the way you'd like (if you were a GM, assuming your owner is FINE with it) but there is consequences.

Not only the Sens had the worst management possible but were very POOR for a NHL team before the sale... which made things worse and our neighbors are the richest NHL teams.
I absolutely agree that only the teams that have the resources and finances to go to war all out can use OS's, but let's not pretend like Dorion didn't have $. Dorion had money, he just chose to spend it on aging vets that sucked and buy outs instead of being savvy enough to offer sheet.

Armstrong doesn't really care if he creates enemies by adding talent to his team, that takes balls and some calculated risks. It wasn't a petty offer sheet like Carolina to KK, but it was taking advantage of a team in cap hell.

Even the Carolin-KK situation was good for the league, even if the KK turned out good, maybe that will tech Habs management that they can't be giving out or keeping bad contracts like Gallagher, Anderson, Armia, etc,.. if they want to keep and retain good talent.

GMs that consistently get taken advantage of and lose in most of their transactions deserve to get fired and if a team or two OS'd us during the Dorion years, maybe Staios would've had the sense to fire him sooner.

Plus a well respected guy like Armstrong is starting to break the mold of dinosaurs in the league who keep reinforcing this taboo of OS's. Armstrong is refuting the notion of this code and its good for the game.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You definitely have to wonder how Edmonton is gonna put together a decent enough D corps this year now. Tough blow for them and I don't see how they get back to where they were last year without an addition to their top 4 somehow. It's looking like 2 of Stecher, Emberson and Josh Brown will be full time players which is obviously not gonna cut it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You definitely have to wonder how Edmonton is gonna put together a decent enough D corps this year now. Tough blow for them and I don't see how they get back to where they were last year without an addition to their top 4 somehow. It's looking like 2 of Stecher, Emberson and Josh Brown will be full time players which is obviously not gonna cut it.
Get to the playoffs add at the TDL

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Get to the playoffs add at the TDL
That's definitely the assumption, and I'm sure they'll do something, I hope, but it'll be interesting to see what options they have at their disposal. Not much for expiring top 4 D from my understanding, but I haven't dug in to that too much to say. Guys like Savard. Larsson maybe would be a good target but who knows if he'd entertain a return after what transpired.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Looking forward to seeing them play Josh Brown above where he belongs (7th defender) and regret not overpaying to keep Broberg

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Looking forward to seeing them play Josh Brown above where he belongs (7th defender) and regret not overpaying to keep Broberg
I just hope it doesn't last too long, but I suspect they will cobble it together for now and Brown will get playing time. Disappointing for me as they're the only cup threat I'd ever actually root for, but so be it, thems the breaks.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I' mean Arber Xhekaj can literally beat up everyone on our team except Brady, and we don't want our captain taken out of a game for beating tf out of a 3rd liner.

Sounds Montreal tough - we have 1 guy to defend all these floaters.

I’m not afraid of Montreal, they can score and they can skate, they just don’t have real men on their team and real men win hockey games

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
GMs that consistently get taken advantage
That seems to a common focus and theme for some people. Ostensibly, there are negligible trades where both teams get something of value.

That's definitely the assumption, and I'm sure they'll do something, I hope, but it'll be interesting to see what options they have at their disposal. Not much for expiring top 4 D from my understanding, but I haven't dug in to that too much to say. Guys like Savard. Larsson maybe would be a good target but who knows if he'd entertain a return after what transpired.
Yes, it was looking good and potentially shaping up to be a good year for the Oilers until this happened. Seems to be a lot of hate in here for the Oil.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yes, it was looking good and potentially shaping up to be a good year for the Oilers until this happened. Seems to be a lot of hate in here for the Oil.
Ya what a shame after the offseason they had. I've really grown to like that team and obviously the Senators aren't going to be contenders next year, so I'll keep following the Oilers closely. I feel like Holloway was a big part of the push last year even though he didn't light up the scoreboard and that one really stings even though they have plenty up front. I liked Broberg's play too, but small sample size and being a LD made it tough to overpay him so much. Just sort of seems like a waste to see those guys go to a team that likely doesn't sniff the playoffs, but they got their bag, so all the power to them I guess.

Ultimately, the Oilers will probably be fine because these guys were depth mostly, but obviously a D addition is basically required now with them so thin on the backend.

Reactions: bert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad