Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
This year's draft seems really good at the centre position, Habs have a golden opportunity to put the finishing touch on their rebuild and grab a #1C.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
No it's not, neither guy carries remotely close to that value

Did you watch the playoffs? Broberg totally turned that D around when he came in and was really good.

The Oilers coaches liked him enough to play him in the finals but suddenly he’s a bust - I’ll go with the St Louis evaluation and I bet Broberg is a 40 point player next year and averages 20 minutes a night.

Broberg will be a better trade than Turris was. Player the team and media has mismanagement but his game is very very good

Reactions: bert

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Montreal reminds me of where Toronto was 8 years ago when they finished their rebuild. Lots of talent up front, no elite talent or prospects on the blueline (I'm not a big fan of Reinbacher and Mailloux), question mark in goal.

The good news for them is they have a lot of picks to address their issues, and their GM seems a lot more competent than what the Leafs have had over the years. But if they convince themselves that their blueline and Primeau/Montembault are enough, they'll become a playoff team without ever becoming a true threat.

I remember the hype around Toronto, never really fell for it even though everyone (even some Sens fans) were getting worried… I wasn’t because after their big guns, they didn’t have much depth quality.

It is very different with what I am observing in Montreal right now… they have a ton of Pinto/Greig quality prospects after their stars… guys like Roy, Beck, Hage, Struble, etc are going to provide that support quality

Not sure why you say that about their blue line, it is seen as their strength… Hutson, Reinbacher, Ghule, Mailloux, Struble, Barron, Xhekaj, etc… lots of talent and depth

And in goal, they have one of the best prospects out there. We have to hope that he busts

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Did you watch the playoffs? Broberg totally tuned that D around when he came in and was really good.

The Oilers coaches liked him enough to play him in the finals but suddenly he’s a busy - I’ll go with the St Louos evaluation and I bet Beobergbis a 40 point players next year and averages 20 minutes a night.

Broberg will be a better trade than Turris was. Player the team and media has mismanagement but his game is very very good
Yes, Broberg looked quite god at times

He's not a bust, I never said he was. St. Louis evaluation wasn't a top 10 value either, so I'm not sure where that was coming from

You said they got two top 10 picks, neither guy has remotely close to top 10 pick value. If they did, they wouldn't have been unmatched on 2nd and 3rd round offersheets. If they were traded at the draft, they'd have likely garnered late 1st/early 2nd type offers

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, there was no way the Oilers could match either offer sheet.

Their cap is completely screwed with Bouchard and Drai coming up, followed by McD getting a 16 mill contract

Very shrewd by St. Lou
Shrewd if they turn out to be serious players

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
St. Louis sending Fischer and a 3rd to Edmonton for futures smacks of a "hey, sorry, sorta" move. Fischer's still years away but his scouting report from the 2023 draft is okay. Maybe he makes it as a depth D in the future.

• Haha
Reactions: bicboi64

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Offer sheets are part of the CBA, and I can see why the Blues did what they did. Having said that, I think the Oilers organization and fans are pretty pissed off about this just like we would if it happened to us. Oh well, what goes around comes around.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
He was pretty damn impressive in the 2nd half of the season, as a 19 y/o… He’s just a recent 1st OA pick after all, it would be such a crazy thing to see him become a star…

So enjoy it while you still can because he might be PPG as soon as this season, as a 20 y/o

Sorry if I’m not a blind homer I guess

It's one to say he'll become a star. It's quite another to say he's as good as Brady right now. Those two things are not the same.

And even if he becomes a PPG player, it still doesn't make him a better player than Brady.

Sorry if I'm not a deluded Hab fan I guess.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
so you don't think @Micklebot can afford it. Clear he is not an NHL team. Why don't you give us a breakdown of prices for individuals, Or what is the purpose of you chiming in ?
To say how much it costs duh, we were talking about sportslogiq
but like usual for you , with the condescending remarks.
Now I can wait for your stupid gif post.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
To say how much it costs duh, we were talking about sportslogiq
but like usual for you , with the condescending remarks.
Now I can wait for your stupid gif post.

:shakehead We were not talking about anything ..which is really a great place to be.

Last edited:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I don't understand how people think Montreal is going to be a dynasty team when Buffalo is already going to be a dynasty. Look at their young players and prospect pipeline, there's simply no way it doesn't happen.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I remember the hype around Toronto, never really fell for it even though everyone (even some Sens fans) were getting worried… I wasn’t because after their big guns, they didn’t have much depth quality.

It is very different with what I am observing in Montreal right now… they have a ton of Pinto/Greig quality prospects after their stars… guys like Roy, Beck, Hage, Struble, etc are going to provide that support quality

Not sure why you say that about their blue line, it is seen as their strength… Hutson, Reinbacher, Ghule, Mailloux, Struble, Barron, Xhekaj, etc… lots of talent and depth

And in goal, they have one of the best prospects out there. We have to hope that he busts

I'm seeing a lot of depth on the blueline for sure, but a lot of 3-6 type defencemen, if they pan out. It's real tough, if not outright impossible, to win a cup without a Norris caliber player, and I'm not seeing one in that group. Time will tell.

Reactions: albator71

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I don't understand how people think Montreal is going to be a dynasty team when Buffalo is already going to be a dynasty. Look at their young players and prospect pipeline, there's simply no way it doesn't happen.
Sure, I get the point you are making, but Senator fans have the same thoughts. I’m not trying to make any predictions about any team, but just saying fans tend to be optimistic with their young players during a rebuild.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, there was no way the Oilers could match either offer sheet.

Their cap is completely screwed with Bouchard and Drai coming up, followed by McD getting a 16 mill contract

Very shrewd by St. Lou
Holloway at 2.2 is fine. Pretty sure that's how they got the 3rd and prospect for free for not matching him.

Reactions: Micklebot

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Yes, Broberg looked quite god at times

He's not a bust, I never said he was. St. Louis evaluation wasn't a top 10 value either, so I'm not sure where that was coming from

You said they got two top 10 picks, neither guy has remotely close to top 10 pick value. If they did, they wouldn't have been unmatched on 2nd and 3rd round offersheets. If they were traded at the draft, they'd have likely garnered late 1st/early 2nd type offers

You might be right, that's what i would have thought too. Although i have noticed lately i always tend to overestimate potential returns. But if you are right on the value they would have likely got, that would then suggest to me that the RFA compensation schedule needs some recalibration. You wouldn't want teams incentivized to wait to make an offer sheet as that allows them to get that player cheaper.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not this year.

Pressure comes in more in 2025-2026 when Demidov slots in even then it’s only gonna be his first season.
Yet you go on twitter and Habs are beating both Ottawa and Buffalo in polls on who will finish higher this season. You're not being very self aware about your market or media if you dont think there will be any expectations. Again I dont think there should be but were not talking about a very rational group of people here.

Did you watch the playoffs? Broberg totally turned that D around when he came in and was really good.

The Oilers coaches liked him enough to play him in the finals but suddenly he’s a bust - I’ll go with the St Louis evaluation and I bet Broberg is a 40 point player next year and averages 20 minutes a night.

100 percent, he is long and skilled, skates really well for a player his size and seemed to elevate the higher the stakes. Like many big D men it takes time to evolve and develop. However I understand its a very small sample size, but he was legit. I am not sure about the 40 points next year but he is a solid two way d man. Their current cap situation moving into next season is a big problem though. I personally dont get not matching Holloway but who knows what they are trying to prove with their culture at this point.

Reactions: Tuna99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad