Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
What a crazy move by nj
Dumbasses
Didn't goaltending basically sink their season last year?

It is a lofty price, but can't keep going to the well with the same guys that let you down and expect different results. You can waste many seasons toiling away with bad goaltending and they're a team looking to compete sooner than later.

Reactions: BigRig4

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Didn't goaltending basically sink their season last year?

It is a lofty price, but can't keep going to the well with the same guys that let you down and expect different results. You can waste many seasons toiling away with bad goaltending and they're a team looking to compete sooner than later.
Yeah that’s what we were told just before signing korpisalo.
Just because you have a need doesn’t mean you overpay the first guy available.

Reactions: Cosmix

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yeah that’s what we were told just before signing korpisalo.
Just because you have a need doesn’t mean you overpay the first guy available.
Ya but Korpisalo sucks by NHL standards, has always sucked, and was a god awful contract day 1. Just because one guy sucks and got overpaid doesn't mean you don't still try to fix a problem.

Markstrom at least has a track record of being pretty consistent and was obviously the one they've been after, for better or worse. There's at least a reason to be optimistic unlike with someone like Korpisalo.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If he wasn't traded and didn't tear his ACL 4 games in for Washington I'm not sure why he would regress into a role player.

He was a 40-50P guy for us with limited PP time while providing excellent two-way play + PKing.
He led our forwards in ice time and was a regular on PP2. He is a 3rd line player who was going to command 5M due to his elevated usage.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Conner Brown has been unreal in the finals. Getting rid of Brown and Paul was dumb dumb stuff. PK has never recovered.

Happy to see Brown doing well after his injury and a tough season. Looks like he is finally recovered and moving well again.
Our PK stats the year after they were traded (2022-23) were almost identical to the year before (2021-22). I'm not sure this argument makes a whole lot of sense unless you're singling out last year, specifically. Even then, last year's numbers are a small drop from the average PK numbers during their time here.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1718824164905.png

1718824961593.png

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He led our forwards in ice time and was a regular on PP2. He is a 3rd line player who was going to command 5M due to his elevated usage.

PP2 doesn't boost point totals much. Only 9 out of his 39 points that year were on the PP.

The other 30 points he had were at even strength or on the PK, which was about equal to the even strength production of Norris (32), Stutzle (31) and Batherson (30).

It's insane to suggest 50P/82GP (almost all at even strength) with fantastic defensive play and PKing ability is 3rd line quality play. He was absolutely a top 6 quality player for us.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
PP2 doesn't boost point totals much. Only 9 out of his 39 points that year were on the PP.

The other 30 points he had were at even strength or on the PK, which was about equal to the even strength production of Norris (32), Stutzle (31) and Batherson (30).

It's insane to suggest 50P/82GP (almost all at even strength) with fantastic defensive play and PKing ability is 3rd line quality play. He was absolutely a top 6 quality player for us.
Yes he was for us, but not on better teams and 5M was too much

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

38 pts pace without the PP, and that number is definitely boosted by the fact he was playing a ton with Stützle and Tkachuk.

He certainly played well in our top 6, but there aren't many playoff teams where he'd have gotten the opportunity he got here.

Imo, he was like a winger version of Pageau. Very good 3rd liner, but not ideal in your top 6.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
As someone who has been an avid Oilers-playoff-spectator over the past years, I can't describe how far away the Senators are from competing. And I don't mean this in a discouraging way. But I have followed each and every playoff game of the McDavid-Draisaitl era, observed how they grew from year to year, how recurring failures made them better annually, how they stopped solely playing for money and fun and adopted a winning-mindset that can only be taught through actual experience and no theory. And they still might won't be able to do it this year, losing to a team that went through the exact same growing-pain.

The 'stars' of this team need to become so much stronger and more consistent, there is no winning culture either (they still seem to have this fraternity mindset where they just want to have fun, and totally collapse once there is some weight on their shoulders).

They need to make sure to sniff some playoff-air as soon as possible. Not because they have any chance to win (they currently definitely don't). But because they need to taste some blood and become hungry for success (I don't see it momentarily), they need to get their asses handed to them for a few times allowing them to improve quickly, both as individuals and as a collective. Can't have this learning-process start when the core of this team already is in their middle to late 20s - this might be too late already.

It took the Avalanche 5 years, the Knights 6 years, the Lightning 7 years, the Blues 8 years, the Capitals 11 years of persistent playoff experiences to finally win their cups.
It will have taken the Panthers 5 years and the Oilers 8 years of the McDrai-era. It takes a lot of disappointment and growing. The earlier they start this pursuit, the better.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
As someone who has been an avid Oilers-playoff-spectator over the past years, I can't describe how far away the Senators are from competing. And I don't mean this in a discouraging way. But I have followed each and every playoff game of the McDavid-Draisaitl era, observed how they grew from year to year, how recurring failures made them better annually, how they stopped solely playing for money and fun and adopted a winning-mindset that can only be taught through actual experience and no theory. And they still might won't be able to do it this year, losing to a team that went through the exact same growing-pain.

The 'stars' of this team need to become so much stronger and more consistent, there is no winning culture either (they still seem to have this fraternity mindset where they just want to have fun, and totally collapse once there is some weight on their shoulders).

They need to make sure to sniff some playoff-air as soon as possible. Not because they have any chance to win (they currently definitely don't). But because they need to taste some blood and become hungry for success (I don't see it momentarily), they need to get their asses handed to them for a few times allowing them to improve quickly, both as individuals and as a collective. Can't have this learning-process start when the core of this team already is in their middle to late 20s - this might be too late already.

It took the Avalanche 5 years, the Knights 6 years, the Lightning 7 years, the Blues 8 years, the Capitals 11 years of persistent playoff experiences to finally win their cups.
It will have taken the Panthers 5 years and the Oilers 8 years of the McDrai-era. It takes a lot of disappointment and growing. The earlier they start this pursuit, the better.
The maturation process of Edmonton has been fascinating. Both the roster construction to culminate this year as their best roster and the development of the players within. I think Holloway was a big ingredient they needed. Broberg this last little stretch. Eckholm acquisition and Bouchard development has given them a legit top pair and settled in now. Good depth with legit NHLers in the press box at D and F. Skinner is flawed but is a battler and seems to have the mental side down in the way he talks about it. Knoblauch is so well spoken and clearly a very bright individual imo, he has their defensive/special teams game on point, and has hit on so many of his lineup changes.

You are right that it is typically required to win it all. Vegas/Colorado stuck out at me as two teams that beat Edmonton on the way to theirs, and went through a similar path. Not all paths are equal, but Ottawa has a long way up.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
NHL's own fault for having so many off days in between games here. Once game 1 started, there only should've been 1 day off between each game. This final has been a total momentum killer.

I think it's a good idea to give 2 nights between games to make sure the players are rested before games. With all the injuries and guys banged up it at least gives them 2 days to recover. The full week before the finals started was odd though. It has to be one of the other. Both is too much.

As a fan though I kinda like it. Usually there's a little dead period between the finals and the draft and free agency.

This year there's no breaks. Final, draft and free agency within a week is amazing as a fan.

I don't think the entertainment value for the final haas suffered though. It's been great hockey and a big game 7 coming up. Might be one of the best games we've seen in a long time.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
No idea what's going on in Detroit right now.

They just dealt Gibson for a 2nd+Kiiskanen, which was a headscratcher, then used that 2nd to dump Walman, who by all accounts is a pretty decent D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad