Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
A big reason why we have seen so many coaching changes is that player movement is historically harder than it has ever been.

With the cap being flat for the last few seasons, combined with NMCs, it's very difficult for teams to make major changes to their roster, let alone minor changes. Then in season, it's nearly impossible until the TDL.

So that creates added incentive to change coaches.

Look at the Leafs. There isn't much that they can do to change their core because everybody has NMCs. Switching the coach is something they can do that is perceived to be a big change.
I hate NMCs. If a player wants one it comes out of your pay. You want to get paid, not much on the NMC front for you. They ruin the game.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I hate NMCs. If a player wants one it comes out of your pay. You want to get paid, not much on the NMC front for you. They ruin the game.
NCM have really gotten out of hand to the point that they really impact the competitiveness of some teams.

I get why players want them, and it would be really hard to put that genie back in the bottle at this point, but i do think limiting them to a 10 Team no go list would do a lot of good for the league.

Reactions: JungleBeat

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
NCM have really gotten out of hand to the point that they really impact the competitiveness of some teams.

I get why players want them, and it would be really hard to put that genie back in the bottle at this point, but i do think limiting them to a 10 Team no go list would do a lot of good for the league.
...or limit the amount a team can give out. Modified No Trade as well. All of them. Full no movement clause you get 2 per team...

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't have a solution, but I'm definitely in support of giving players less power to try to increase parity. It's gotten out of hand at this point and a lot of franchises are basically operating with a handicap because of it, Canadian teams in particular.

These guys get paid gobs of money and I think not always getting your preferred destination should just come with the territory. It felt more reasonable when the UFA age limits were farther out.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
...or limit the amount a team can give out. Modified No Trade as well. All of them. Full no movement clause you get 2 per team...
This would get complicated when trying to trade for someone. Like if you already have 2 NMCs on your roster, does that mean you can’t trade for a player with one should they become available?

Reactions: Loach

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Zib has 12 points now.
And nyr fans were calling him and the rest of the team out for not contributing.
What more can they do?
And can we f****** have him back please?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Carolina Hurricanes don't get swept out of the playoffs challenge (impossible)

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Carolina have wasted so many years by not getting a reliable goaltender.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Carolina have wasted so many years by not getting a reliable goaltender.

Their issue isn’t goaltending. They can’t score or generate high danger scoring chances.

I have been watching them a lot these playoffs and now I understand why the analytics community loves them so much. Those shot counts are fraudulent and don’t necessarily tell the whole story. 50 shots tonight was bullshit, a lot of those shots were low quality, perimeter, and shots from the point. They are a volume shooter team and the corsi kings, but the quality is severely lacking. The Rangers had half the shots but way more high quality shots, a lot of odd man rushes on the PK, a better moving PP and actually got into the slot a lot more.

Hurricanes are overrated as f*** and now I understand why they never go far in the playoffs. Soon as they face a decent goalie that can stop their crappy shots and a team that can keep them on the outside, all they have left is weak low calorie shots.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

Yes exactly. It takes the fun away from the trade deadline as well.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Avs almost come back again. They need to start playing before the third period.

Girard was excellent, shoutout for the smaller dmen!

Also Tanev is a rock back there. I don’t know that there are many dmen you’d want out there protecting a lead over him. He’s exactly what we need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad