Brock Boeser out indefinitely with blood-clotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
After everything that happened go his dad, now he has to go through this? I really thought he’d turned a corner. Poor kid, and I’m really grateful that it’s not considered life threatening
It's not life threatening, but it can be career ending.

Really unfortunate stuff.

Reactions: Szechwan

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Well, that f***ing sucks. I wish him a full recovery. Can that Pettersson guy wake up now?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Best of wishes to him. He was a CS candidate had the Canucks won the cup.

As for the clock possibly striking midnight on Vancouver, well there are three big reasons that may not happen....

Screenshot_20240520_095652_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240520_095637_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240520_095415_Chrome.jpg

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Scary stuff, but it's a good thing it was caught before it could become a life threatening issue.

Seems if there isn't bad luck, some folks would have no luck at all.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
It was stated his blood clot was non life threatening.

You should be ashamed of yourself for causing an argument for literally no reason.
Its very hard for a peripheral blood clot to be life threatening. Unless you have a significant PFO or other right to left shunt in the heart. The real risk here is that you can't take head contact if you are on blood thinners and protocol is 3 months of it.

If he has a second clot or has any underlying risk (afib etc) then that's career ending

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
That sucks. Hope he makes a full recovery first and foremost. 2nd, you have to feel for Vancouver. They’ve had an awesome season and are a legit cup contender this year but have some key injuries. Sucks.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Wasn't there another played recently out for this?

Edit: I googled and found my answer.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
why do pro athletes get so many blood clots ?

Is hockey a bigger culprit than other sports ?
Fred Andersen was another recent one.

dehydration, alot of sitting around on planes ?

should they all take a short acting blood thinner for the plane ride ?

it's career ending if he's on blood thinners indefinitely
he wont be because it was provoked (air flight, intense hockey). That assumes he doesnt have a major risk factor for clotting in his thrombosis workup.

NoVaCapsFan

Apr 19, 2017
Hoping for a speedy and full recovery. Also hoping his teammates can pick him up before a home crowd.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
why do pro athletes get so many blood clots ?

Is hockey a bigger culprit than other sports ?
Fred Andersen was another recent one.
Do they? Or are they simply people whose health status is a matter of public interest, so it gets reported in the media, after being people whose health status is a critical business asset and so are rigorously examined?

Reactions: wraithsonwings

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If the Canucks do win tonight, Im not sure Boeser is even back at all this playoffs. Would really hurt their chances against Dallas. :(

Dallas would likely sweep the Canucks with no Boeser or Demko.

Duder54

Dec 11, 2017
Canadian ex-pat in Zurich, Switzerland
Do they? Or are they simply people whose health status is a matter of public interest, so it gets reported in the media, after being people whose health status is a critical business asset and so are rigorously examined?
Whilst the second part of your statement certainly applies, athletes are also at a higher risk of DVT/blood clots vs. the general population due to several factors:

- long/frequent travel (i.e. periods of being seated/immobile)
- dehydration due to intense activity
- higher risk of trauma/injury
- anatomy (research suggest that, aside from obesity, physical attributes such as size, muscle mass, like having bigger legs, increases risk)

And that's not adding the addition risk from things like blood doping, steroids, or other performance enhancing efforts (which to be clear, I am NOT suggesting to be the case here, but is a reality across sports of all kind at the elite level).

Wishing Boeser a full recovery in any case.

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019
This has to be the end for Vancouver. Anything can happen in one game, but zero chance they're winning another series without their leading scorer while starting their third string goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad