Around the League

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Not sure if this fits here, but former Red Wing Brendan Perlini has a YouTube channel and he's been posting info about the NHL. This video is about the unwritten rules of the NHL locker room.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Not sure if this fits here, but former Red Wing Brendan Perlini has a YouTube channel and he's been posting info about the NHL. This video is about the unwritten rules of the NHL locker room.

Ha, he's about 100 yards from my first apartment in Chicago. The video is a pretty cool concept. But let us in on stuff that is a little more juicy, Brendan :nod:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Ha, he's about 100 yards from my first apartment in Chicago. The video is a pretty cool concept. But let us in on stuff that is a little more juicy, Brendan :nod:
In one video he tells about the time his mother told him was waived by Edmonton. I think his mom kinda put the org on blast via Twitter and he makes it pretty clear Ken Holland was all up in his feelings when Brendan and his agent reached out about whether the Oil were interested in signing him to a new deal. He seemed pretty low key about it and laughed it off, but made it pretty clear he was talking about Holland.

He also has a good video on the interviews he did with the teams at the combine. Hopefully he has some good stories he's planning to share.

Reactions: jaster

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

He did one on players he liked and didn't like. It was still pretty tame but the one he didn't like right away was Mike Smith, who was a jerk to him right out of the gate and felt respect needed to be earned before he'd treat him like a teammate.

Not exactly surprising Smith would be a jackass.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
He did one on players he liked and didn't like. It was still pretty tame but the one he didn't like right away was Mike Smith, who was a jerk to him right out of the gate and felt respect needed to be earned before he'd treat him like a teammate.

Ah, interesting. I'll watch that one later today.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007

That was interesting. Smith was obviously an old school guy, but also.... a goalie. The part about whizzing a puck by his ear and then Smith going off on him was pretty funny. That's what the helmet is for, bud!

I also just listened to his episode ranking the teams he played for (spoiler: he ranked the Red Wings last, and probably rightly so). Was pretty interesting to hear his comments on LCA and Red Bird III. When he played for Detroit, the Wings were still flying an old, decrepit MD-80 as the team jet (I believe they finally upgraded to a more modern 737 this past year). Having been to LCA, his gripes on that.... check out.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That was interesting. Smith was obviously an old school guy, but also.... a goalie. The part about whizzing a puck by his ear and then Smith going off on him was pretty funny. That's what the helmet is for, bud!

Goalies are always dealing with that one guy who is constantly shooting at your head. Shots get away from you, it happens to everyone, but when it's a daily thing you really just get fed up - helmet or not.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Goalies are always dealing with that one guy who is constantly shooting at your head. Shots get away from you, it happens to everyone, but when it's a daily thing you really just get fed up - helmet or not.
For sure. In this specific case though, sounds like Smith was being a baby.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

that part of Smith being upset with him I totally understand. But it sounds like he barely acknowledges new players until they "earn his respect."

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
that part of Smith being upset with him I totally understand. But it sounds like he barely acknowledges new players until they "earn his respect."

Yeah I can't speak to that, I didn't even watch the video. I'm just responding to the "you have a helmet" part from a goalie's perspective.

As the world's first practitioner of goalie law, it's my responsibility to defend all goalies, even the jerks, to the letter of the law.

We are people, too. We have rights. Not just the freaks you laugh at later at the bar when you "forget" to invite us!

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah I can't speak to that, I didn't even watch the video. I'm just responding to the "you have a helmet" part from a goalie's perspective.

As the world's first practitioner of goalie law, it's my responsibility to defend all goalies, even the jerks, to the letter of the law.

We are people, too. We have rights. Not just the freaks you laugh at later at the bar when you "forget" to invite us!
Ok, that comment was a little tongue-in-cheek on my part.

But also.

You have a helmet :neener:

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
I only once shot a puck at a goalie's head on purpose (that I recall anyway). I was behind the net, off to one side. Goalie was getting real low, and cheating. I had the angle, so I fired it at the side of his head and it deflected into the net. I've scored from behind the net before, usually off the goalie's fat ass or leg, but this time it was his head that gave me the best chance. I was kinda waiting for a fracas at that point, but that goalie didn't say a word. I respect him. More than Mike Smith :laugh:

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023

I also just listened to his episode ranking the teams he played for (spoiler: he ranked the Red Wings last, and probably rightly so). Was pretty interesting to hear his comments on LCA and Red Bird III. When he played for Detroit, the Wings were still flying an old, decrepit MD-80 as the team jet (I believe they finally upgraded to a more modern 737 this past year). Having been to LCA, his gripes on that.... check out.

Oh, if someone rips a shot past my head in warm-ups, I get pissed. I actually had to go get my helmet fixed because a guy shot it up high and broke one of the snaps pre-game.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I only once shot a puck at a goalie's head on purpose (that I recall anyway). I was behind the net, off to one side. Goalie was getting real low, and cheating. I had the angle, so I fired it at the side of his head and it deflected into the net. I've scored from behind the net before, usually off the goalie's fat ass or leg, but this time it was his head that gave me the best chance. I was kinda waiting for a fracas at that point, but that goalie didn't say a word. I respect him. More than Mike Smith :laugh:

God, there is not a goal on this Earth that pisses me off more. I mean, it's your right... because I do have a helmet on... but giving up a goal off my mask is a trigger for me. I'm basically coming up swinging if that happens... particularly if I know you know what you did.

If you're in an E league game and you simply can't control your shot, that's different. But guys who can actually aim... if you're trying to plink it off my mask and in, I'm seeing red.

I don't care that my goalie mask is bright red with a gold cage... my brain is in there.

• Haha
Reactions: jaster

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
God, there is not a goal on this Earth that pisses me off more. I mean, it's your right... because I do have a helmet on... but giving up a goal off my mask is a trigger for me. I'm basically coming up swinging if that happens... particularly if I know you know what you did.

If you're in an E league game and you simply can't control your shot, that's different. But guys who can actually aim... if you're trying to plink it off my mask and in, I'm seeing red.

I don't care that my goalie mask is bright red with a gold cage... my brain is in there.
If I were a goalie, I might feel the same. As a shooter though, I'm going to put the puck in the net any way that I am able and is legal. So, like, put your head in a different spot or something lol.

• Love
Reactions: Sadekuuro

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Sorry, I wont' waste my time debating with someone whose argument is built on a false premise.
ohhhh-happy-chris-pratt-70f9usaphj64wd12.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad