Around the League

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Stupid Mr I....
Come on. Mattias Janmark was a dime a dozen player. Him getting sprung on a breakaway in a game 7 doesn't change that fact. The pick is worse.. but come on, man. Mattias Janmark is Jonatan Berggren is Evgeny Svechnikov is Tomas Nosek is... you get the point. Mattias Janmark would be getting fourth line minutes in Detroit too. Once upon a time, Justin Abdelkader had a two goal game in a Cup finals. That's what bottom line plugs can do. Hell, the Wings lost in 2009 because Maxime Talbot decided to score two goals in game 7.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023
Didn’t we trade him and the pick that became Roope Hintz for Erik Cole?
Which was a reasonable trade to make at that time. Sucks that Hintz turned into a really good pick and Erik Cole's neck basically exploded eleven games into his Wings career. The Erik Cole they expected they were acquiring would have been exactly what they needed to get past Tampa in that series... that's the year it went 7 and who knows. Wheels weren't off the cart for Detroit yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Seeing conflicting information online but it looks like the buyout window opens tomorrow at noon. Do players have to be placed on waivers today ahead of the buyout window opening?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Which was a reasonable trade to make at that time. Sucks that Hintz turned into a really good pick and Erik Cole's neck basically exploded two games into his Wings career. The Erik Cole they expected they were acquiring would have been exactly what they needed to get past Tampa in that series... that's the year it went 7 and who knows. Wheels weren't off the cart for Detroit yet.
Cole hadn't scored a playoff goal since the 2nd round of 2002...

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023
Cole hadn't scored a playoff goal since the 2nd round of 2002...
And? He played in 2 games in 05-06 and 3 games in 13-14 with his only sustained playoff time being 18 games in the Canes cup defense year of 06-07.

I don't understand your point. The Wings lost several one goal games to Tampa in that series. One more goal for caused by Erik Cole screening and/or the ability to not have Glenny get tangled up in game 4 doing that role and it's all different.

The Wings came up just short against Tampa, due in large part to Glendening going down in a scrum letting Tyler Johnson run wild. Having Erik Cole as a big netfront presence wouldn't have necessitated other guys doing it. Hell, he wouldn't have even needed to score to have an impact for Detroit in the playoffs.

He was the rental piece they needed because that 14-15 team really kinda struggled at having size with any skill whatsoever.

It didn't happen because he got injured, but a big body presence was precisely what the Wings were missing that let Tampa come back in that series.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007

IMG_2049.gif

• Love
Reactions: saska sault

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Seriously, Holland to Chicago and then hiring Tyler Wright and his bad team of scouts would be absolutely hilarious to me.

Also, is it possible to vote an executive OUT of the hockey hall of fame after they spend the next 15-20 years of their post-induction career being f***ing muppets?
I'm not super vindictive towards Holland so I'm fine with him being in the Hall. Seeing him destroy Chicago would be pharmaceutical grade schadenfreude.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Quinn Hughes won the Norris. Good for him, I still think from time to time about what might have been if we had a competent GM and Director of Scouting who realized Quinn's talents and weren't fooled by Filip Zadina's limited skillset. I'd be much more bitter if we hadn't moved on from Ken Holland shortly after this blunder.

Great stat I saw: Quinn had more points this year than Zadina's had in his entire career. Yep, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Congrats Quinn!

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Quinn Hughes won the Norris. Good for him, I still think from time to time about what might have been if we had a competent GM and Director of Scouting who realized Quinn's talents and weren't fooled by Filip Zadina's limited skillset. I'd be much more bitter if we hadn't moved on from Ken Holland shortly after this blunder.

Great stat I saw: Quinn had more points this year than Zadina's had in his entire career. Yep, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Congrats Quinn!

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad