Around the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Proof that any contract can be traded.

Get rid of Holl and Copp, Yzerman!
Exactly, Not to mention Goodrow getting claimed on waivers with 3 years and 3.7M AAV left. (People laughed and said guaranteed buyout)

GM’s putting their ego aside, admitting they made mistakes and rectifying them is a good quality. You aren’t always going to be right. But it does hurt more when you double down on a wrong decision.

Waiving a veteran is embarrassing for the player (who may stay) and the GM who signed him to the deal…. But oh well, the NHL is not a country club. Good for NYR… that really paid of for them.

All of Fabbri, Husso, Holl and Copp need to hit the wire! You never know, we might get lucky with one or two of them.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

If Ullmark (or Saros) really are available, Yzerman absolutely should be in those discussions.

Note that I did not say he MUST land one of those two players at any price. But each would be a major upgrade, and he should strongly consider a trade package for a guy like that to truly hold the fort until Cossa is ready.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I'm really hoping that the PLD and Goodrow moves make Yzerman feel some heat to do something. The team needs to get rid of Copp, Holl, Fabbri and Husso to give them the flexibility to make any meaningful improvements.

Those 4 combine for 17.8 mil against the cap and are providing no real value in the standings. What they cost could bring in a REAL 2nd line scorer like Guentzel, a real 2nd pair D option, and have enough left over for a utility forward in the bottom 6 or bottom pair D.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I'm really hoping that the PLD and Goodrow moves make Yzerman feel some heat to do something. The team needs to get rid of Copp, Holl, Fabbri and Husso to give them the flexibility to make any meaningful improvements.

Those 4 combine for 17.8 mil against the cap and are providing no real value in the standings. What they cost could bring in a REAL 2nd line scorer like Guentzel, a real 2nd pair D option, and have enough left over for a utility forward in the bottom 6 or bottom pair D.
One of them has to go at the very least.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
well, no, they don't. Yzerman could move someone just to get them off the roster, or they could be included in deals to bring someone else in. But we have plenty of cap space to pursue upgrades without just blatantly dumping people for reasons. I wouldn't expect anyone aggressively dumped unless someone else is either already here to replace them or will be coming back in the deal.

The roster we have right now is the fail safe, imo. Everyone wants to see it improved, I am sure Yzerman will pursue improving it, but if nothing breaks our way over the summer we can always massage what we have with sending people to GR (Holl), bringing people up, etc. to make it work and still have a respectable team with cap and roster room to make moves during the season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
well, no, they don't. Yzerman could move someone just to get them off the roster, or they could be included in deals to bring someone else in. But we have plenty of cap space to pursue upgrades without just blatantly dumping people for reasons. I wouldn't expect anyone aggressively dumped unless someone else is either already here to replace them or will be coming back in the deal.

The roster we have right now is the fail safe, imo. Everyone wants to see it improved, I am sure Yzerman will pursue improving it, but if nothing breaks our way over the summer we can always massage what we have with sending people to GR (Holl), bringing people up, etc. to make it work and still have a respectable team with cap and roster room to make moves during the season.

The team finished with 91 points this year after floundering in December, March and most of April. If we run back the majority of this roster as it is with only really adding Edvinsson and maybe Johansson I can see it dropping back to the 80s and Detroit is back to where it was in 2022. Other teams in the conference are going to get better and Detroit is not so talented that they can justify being conservative in their attempt to improve.

Montreal has space and their kids are all getting put in the lineup. Expect growing pains but I can see them being 8-10 points better.
New Jersey just got a goalie and are going to start the season healthy. Expect THEM to be better.
Washington have a new top 6 center that, if motivated, will make them a better team.
Buffalo have all the cap space in the world to improve and still have a really good prospect pool.
NYI aren't going anywhere.
Carolina aren't going anywhere.
NYR aren't going anywhere.
Florida aren't going anywhere.
Toronto has a new coach and is TBD but should still be in the playoff hunt.
Tampa isn't going anywhere.
Boston has cap space this year. Watch for them to land Elias Lindholm and get better.

I hate to be doom and gloom, but Detroit looks more ready to have a bottom 5 finish in the conference than compete for a wildcard spot next year.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I cannot imagine a realistic set of circumstances where the Wings could make zero external moves to improve the roster and I'd consider it anything other than a failure and a giant missed opportunity.

They missed the playoffs by ONE POINT. They have ZERO prospects that are ready to jump into the top half of the lineup. They absolutely CANNOT just sprinkle a kid or two into a limited role and otherwise run it back.

I'd sooner trade half of Grand Rapids than waive the white flag and say, "Yeah, we got close but it's not really important to take the next step just yet."

Because if they don't take a step this year, it might be another 2-3-4 years before they do, with other teams getting better while the kids slow cook until they're ready.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

Guentzel would only be a decent contract if the others where gone, and he was only on like a 3-4 year deal. But he is gonna be the biggest FA guy this year and will get 6-7 year term. It will be a albatross contract once he goes past 32-33 years old in age. Not worth it.

FA agency this year is very underwhelming. Not the year you go ham over. To expect more than a 1-2 year placeholder contract is asking for disappointment.

If you must see a move made. You're probably looking more on the trade front. But I don't expect that prior to Seider/Raymond RFA contracts.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I cannot imagine a realistic set of circumstances where the Wings could make zero external moves to improve the roster and I'd consider it anything other than a failure and a giant missed opportunity.

They missed the playoffs by ONE POINT. They have ZERO prospects that are ready to jump into the top half of the lineup. They absolutely CANNOT just sprinkle a kid or two into a limited role and otherwise run it back.

I'd sooner trade half of Grand Rapids than waive the white flag and say, "Yeah, we got close but it's not really important to take the next step just yet."

Because if they don't take a step this year, it might be another 2-3-4 years before they do, with other teams getting better while the kids slow cook until they're ready.

Ed and Danielson. If Kaspar makes the team, I don't think he'd get a limited role, either, but I guess it depends on your definition of limited. Even though I'm not a big fan of Berggren, I don't think it would be crazy if he played himself up the lineup, either.

The realistic set of circumstances is that there are 31 other teams in the league trying to better themselves, and the goal isn't to just move around the deck chairs for the sake of saying you're trying when the deck chair you bring in isn't functionally better than the deck chair you're tossing.

And part of taking the next step is getting more the kids into the lineup. We might regress a bit this year as the kids take their lumps. But if we end up seeing a significant upgrade made in December instead of July, I'll take it over just doing things to appease people's desire for action.

The team finished with 91 points this year after floundering in December, March and most of April. If we run back the majority of this roster as it is with only really adding Edvinsson and maybe Johansson I can see it dropping back to the 80s and Detroit is back to where it was in 2022. Other teams in the conference are going to get better and Detroit is not so talented that they can justify being conservative in their attempt to improve.

It's not about being conservative, it's about making moves that matter. And how those moves can be done without jettisoning a bunch of players just because folks have a hard on for getting rid of them. You don't like the look of the team without some moves made, but it looks substantially worse if we gut a bunch of guys without them actually being replaced. We can not like Fabbri, Copp, Chiarot, etc. but we're still better with them than without them unless those other moves are definitely made.

I'm also going to mention that the slide to the 80s is just two points. ;)

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
From the Trade Board, someone posted that Spittin Chiclets is reporting that Leafs are working on extending Marner.

Big if true. Big laughs, that is.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ed and Danielson.
Edvinsson is not a prospect. He was up last year and is never going back down. Danielson is a great prospect that will likely start as a 3W and work his way up, but rushing him isn't the answer; they need these kids PLUS more players.

If Kaspar makes the team, I don't think he'd get a limited role, either, but I guess it depends on your definition of limited. Even though I'm not a big fan of Berggren, I don't think it would be crazy if he played himself up the lineup, either.

The realistic set of circumstances is that there are 31 other teams in the league trying to better themselves, and the goal isn't to just move around the deck chairs for the sake of saying you're trying when the deck chair you bring in isn't functionally better than the deck chair you're tossing.

And part of taking the next step is getting more the kids into the lineup. We might regress a bit this year as the kids take their lumps. But if we end up seeing a significant upgrade made in December instead of July, I'll take it over just doing things to appease people's desire for action.

It's not about being conservative, it's about making moves that matter. And how those moves can be done without jettisoning a bunch of players just because folks have a hard on for getting rid of them. You don't like the look of the team without some moves made, but it looks substantially worse if we gut a bunch of guys without them actually being replaced. We can not like Fabbri, Copp, Chiarot, etc. but we're still better with them than without them unless those other moves are definitely made.

I'm also going to mention that the slide to the 80s is just two points. ;)
I'm not at all advocating to make moves for the sake of making moves. I'm saying that unless Larkin is a token captain that won't be here when the kids are finally ready to do damage in the playoffs, then Detroit needs to start making additional IMPACT moves NOW.

Trade for a starting goaltender. And a top 4 defenseman. And a top six forward. If that takes several first rounders plus a handful of prospects, so be it. Really, Nate and ASP are the only prospects I'd keep off the table for top half of the lineup NHL player moves.

Now maybe they call everybody ten times and nobody is interested, or they want Seider for a middle six winger and you hang up. But the statistically most probable outcome for this rebuild is that the kids - by themselves - won't be enough to build a contender, so every season for the next few years should be an exhaustive search of every possible avenue to take a noticeable jump in roster talent by complimenting the influx of youth with external boosts.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Edvinsson is not a prospect. He was up last year and is never going back down. Danielson is a great prospect that will likely start as a 3W and work his way up, but rushing him isn't the answer; they need these kids PLUS more players.

I'm not at all advocating to make moves for the sake of making moves. I'm saying that unless Larkin is a token captain that won't be here when the kids are finally ready to do damage in the playoffs, then Detroit needs to start making additional IMPACT moves NOW.

Trade for a starting goaltender. And a top 4 defenseman. And a top six forward. If that takes several first rounders plus a handful of prospects, so be it. Really, Nate and ASP are the only prospects I'd keep off the table for top half of the lineup NHL player moves.

Now maybe they call everybody ten times and nobody is interested, or they want Seider for a middle six winger and you hang up. But the statistically most probable outcome for this rebuild is that the kids - by themselves - won't be enough to build a contender, so every season for the next few years should be an exhaustive search of every possible avenue to take a noticeable jump in roster talent by complimenting the influx of youth with external boosts.

I agree with most of this, though I have a list of 7 prospects I refuse to move. Augustine, Kasper, Mazur, ASP, Danielsson, Cossa (surprised @jaster ?) and Edvinsson. I think these all have top 6/top 4 D or starting goalie upside.

Berggren, AlJo, Wallinder, Soderblom al have value as trade chips and I'm ok with moving them if it improves the roster moving both in the short and long term. Berggren and a 2nd for a guy that's a more proven 2nd line, 60ish point guy for example. Or AlJo plus a 2nd for a second pair defender. Those kinds of moves make sense. But the free agent class is also good enough that Detroit can improve their station with shrewd moves there.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

that feels like splitting hairs to score points. And 3w isn't insignificant. You're looking at a guy getting 15+ minutes a night in that spot, likely including some special teams work. Nevermind that I'd start him higher because I think the kid can handle it.

But no one is advocating for no moves. I haven't seen anyone anywhere saying we should do nothing. And if you think I was advocating for it, look back at other posts I've made where I've said that the best summer for Yzerman will be a busy summer.

What I said was is that no moves have to be made to allow us to make other moves. And that the order of operations people are putting out are backwards. We will need to make moves first, and that will free us to move other guys out. We dump a bunch of guys first, and then we are left desperately trying to fill those holes and likely paying more because we're in a position of weakness.

I'm also curious what in Yzerman's history of being a GM makes anyone think the guy is not going to be looking to improve the club. The guy was aggressive in Tampa, and he's been aggressive here, churning the roster over pretty hard and pretty consistently.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
that feels like splitting hairs to score points. And 3w isn't insignificant. You're looking at a guy getting 15+ minutes a night in that spot, likely including some special teams work. Nevermind that I'd start him higher because I think the kid can handle it.

But no one is advocating for no moves. I haven't seen anyone anywhere saying we should do nothing. And if you think I was advocating for it, look back at other posts I've made where I've said that the best summer for Yzerman will be a busy summer.

What I said was is that no moves have to be made to allow us to make other moves. And that the order of operations people are putting out are backwards. We will need to make moves first, and that will free us to move other guys out. We dump a bunch of guys first, and then we are left desperately trying to fill those holes and likely paying more because we're in a position of weakness.

I'm also curious what in Yzerman's history of being a GM makes anyone think the guy is not going to be looking to improve the club. The guy was aggressive in Tampa, and he's been aggressive here, churning the roster over pretty hard and pretty consistently.
At this point I think we're kind of saying the same thing in different ways.

I'm already penciling Ed into the lineup. I'm already acknowledging that Danielson is a great kid that should help the team at 3W (which still meets the original technicality that he's not ready to jump into the top half of the lineup).

I'm saying that even if both these kids eventually knock it out of the park, Detroit still has a LONG ways to go to have a victorious rebuild.

To your point, yes, they can add guys prior to shipping out pylons. No argument there. Just emphasizing how much work still needs to be done, and that it will take all avenues to have a chance at making it happen.

Reactions: Winger98

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
So is Anthony Mantha cooked? Vegas has already told him no chance for a new contract. After massively disappointing his three NHL teams, I have to believe the rest of the league has caught on by now. That's not to say he won't be offered a contract at all, but, at 29, I think he's going to have to sign something that is somewhat embarrassing for him if he wants to stay in the league.

He sure has made me feel vindicated. All those arguments I had back in the day with people saying he wasn't lazy, that his poor performances were all Blashill's fault, etc etc. No, this guy sucked, he was lazy as hell, horrible compete, wouldn't do what any coaches ever asked, and his career trajectory has followed suit.

Best part of Anthony Mantha (other than something about a brown stain on a mattress) is that Yzerman managed to trade him while he still had some semblance of value, and we might have got a good starting goaltender out of the transaction.

Anthony Mantha, is that a jelly donut in your locker stall?

(probably)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So is Anthony Mantha cooked?
Pierre-Luc Dubois says hi.

I think Mantha being cooked is a given. But as long as his agent can find at least one sucker of a GM, he will keep pulling an NHL salary.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, that's got Kenny Holland Tire Kicking Special written all over it. Cheap contact on a reclamation project of one of his own former draft picks, to provide veteran scoring depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Yzerman gave Mantha a 4-year deal then after the first year of it shipped his ass out for another reclamation project. To me that was a pretty clear sign there were expectation laid out that Mantha was not meeting and likely never would.

He reminds me a bit of Dustin Penner. Not in playing style but in general lack of interest in working hard to be an every day NHL player.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Man, the main board GDTs are wild. I particularly like how every time any penalty is called against anyone, at least 5-10 different posters immediately call it a dive -- regardless of whether that's plausible or completely insane or anywhere in between :laugh:

This offside review BS can't die soon enough.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Say whatever you want based on your allegiances in this series, but the way Edmonton has fought for survival from 3-0 down has been great to watch.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Petry's cap hit is fine, even for a 3rd pairing defenseman. He has one year left and an NMC.

It isn't about the money, it is about Lalonde playing him and so much. If he is here he will play, Lalonde has made that clear.

Exactly, Not to mention Goodrow getting claimed on waivers with 3 years and 3.7M AAV left. (People laughed and said guaranteed buyout)

GM’s putting their ego aside, admitting they made mistakes and rectifying them is a good quality. You aren’t always going to be right. But it does hurt more when you double down on a wrong decision.

Waiving a veteran is embarrassing for the player (who may stay) and the GM who signed him to the deal…. But oh well, the NHL is not a country club. Good for NYR… that really paid of for them.

All of Fabbri, Husso, Holl and Copp need to hit the wire! You never know, we might get lucky with one or two of them.

Fabbri is fine, he has one year left. He is moveable and could still get a 3rd or 4th in return.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
It isn't about the money, it is about Lalonde playing him and so much. If he is here he will play, Lalonde has made that clear.
That is why we need a legit 2RD and move Holl out.

The 3 options we had at that spot last year were Petry, Holl, and Ghost, so he really had no other choice than to play him there.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad