Around the League Thread | Where elbows aren’t penalties and what’s the capital of Thailand again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Screenshot_20240615_212416_Instagram.jpg

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
So like I said before the start of the series, there was potential for a decent amount of scoring because neither club is truly a structured defensive team.

Panthers D pinched too much and the forwards didn't cover back. Panthers also coughed up the puck a lot more than basically all playoffs which enabled the Oilers counterattacks.

As with last year, Panthers are there for the taking if you can calmly avoid the chaos they create in your end and get clean breakouts. Vegas did it with 5 man puck support. In this case, the Panthers have greatly relied on backcheck pressure rather than their D holding the blueline on opposing rushes, when their forwards are turning it over and not motoring back this is what you get. Guys like McDavid gain the blueline easily and there aren't forwards to do their man-on-man coverage.
I think it's fine for the Panthers' to stick to their gameplan, the Oilers have too many players who consistently make bad plays when pressured and I think the game got away more from an execution problem than Knoblauch figuring out a good counter, the score is just a result of what happens when the dam breaks. If they play more conservatively they'll just give them too much space.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think it's fine for the Panthers' to stick to their gameplan, the Oilers have too many players who consistently make bad plays when pressured and I think the game got away more from an execution problem than Knoblauch figuring out a good counter, the score is just a result of what happens when the dam breaks. If they play more conservatively they'll just give them too much space.
Like I said, Panthers gave up the puck a lot. I don't think Oilers "figured them out" at all, and I think Koblauch is a middling coach at best. His only real adjustments are lineup changes and getting them to turtle when they have to, which is 50% of what Green gave us in the bubble. To be fair both those moves have been effective, but he's not some kind of genius tactician.

I also think the stage bit the Panthers a bit and caused a lot sloppier play especially high in the offensive zone. You can't really activate your D constantly but have your forwards all hang out near the blueline until it just gets knocked off their sticks.

Reactions: calnuck and Vector

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
They absolutely did. Just not in the SCF.
Nobody cares about a playoff series that isn't the SCF. At least that's the story I'm sticking with.:sarcasm:

I think people are forgetting Panthers have lost lopsided games even in these playoffs 6-3 against Tampa and 5-1 against the Bruins, they will win this one in either 5 or 6 I just don’t see this team losing 3 straight they’re too good.
I don't think the Panthers are that good. I do think the Oilers goaltending will shit the bed at least once in the next three games.

• Haha
Reactions: Vector

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Nobody cares about a playoff series that isn't the SCF. At least that's the story I'm sticking with.:sarcasm:

I don't think the Panthers are that good. I do think the Oilers goaltending will shit the bed at least once in the next three games.

Last time a team actually came back from 3-0 in playoffs was 2014, LAK reverse swept SJS. That was also, to me, one of the most impressive playoffs I've seen, as LAK went on to win the cup but almost every single series went to game 7.

Last finals 3-0 reverse sweep was done 1942 by TOR against DET.

In NBA I don't think there's EVER been a reverse sweep, in any playoff series, at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad