Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Imagine being an Utah STH who tripped over others to get in, then quickly realizing they could be paying a premium to experience the same thing the Coyotes did for decades lol
Well, to be fair, it was not decades for the Coyotes. From 1996 to late 2003 was when they were in Footprint Arena with the Suns. Late 2003 to when they moved to Mullet they were at GRA a legit NHL arena.

But, yeah, for the STH, they should know the sightlines before buying their seats. This is a luxury, not a need.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Do we know who specifically gave the recommendation? I've wondered before it was someone who wasn't at that first meeting where it all came to light and I doubt the people who were at that meeting communicated it to anyone else in the org apart from ownership.
Also there is an information timeline that I certainly don't know and many here don't know either as rumours are one thing but there is always some portion of the mod doing the after the fact histley about how things went down and who, what, when exactly happened or didn't happen.

Anyways part of me hopes they never get hired because of the endless threads that would go on with predictable results and give some new blood a chance the NHL is way too much let's recycle this GM and or coach.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Do we know who specifically gave the recommendation? I've wondered before it was someone who wasn't at that first meeting where it all came to light and I doubt the people who were at that meeting communicated it to anyone else in the org apart from ownership.

I forgot what I read so I might be wrong here, but there is a chance that a recommendation letter was never given. One would assume that the best reference letters to get would be from Quenneville and Bowman. There is a chance that Quenneville and Bowman didn't agree to be Aldrich's reference. Now could he have been hired by team USA without said reference? I think so. He was apparently hired by Miami without Quenneville and Bowman's references (as they had a good reference from Notre Dame). I would say it is much more difficult to be hired at University of Notre Dame without Quenneville/Bowman being a reference since they were the previous employer.

Then there's the fact that the organization allowed Aldrich's name to be inscribed onto the Stanley Cup, let him take part in the celebrations (including raising the Cup on the ice), and gave him a Stanley Cup ring. That's about as good of an implied reference as any. Clearly, Quenneville and Bowman have the authority to prevent this from happening.

Then there's the failure to alert Aldrich's future employers.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Wtf are the Sabres doing?

Great deal by the Oilers but wow that’s bad from the Sabres.

I think this is a trade that will highlight the differences in how players are evaluated.

On the one hand, you have a 4th line P/GP and low 3rd line EVP rate centre that has generally low TOI. If he gets a TOI increase and his SAT rate holds, he could provide better numbers. But when you look at the player and his true talent, there's an equal chance he keeps his conversion rate in a worse environment. He doesn't have a plus shot (Sherwood) and can't think the game like a top6er (Suter, Heinen).

On the other hand, you have a boom/bust prospect. Small, but high production with an increase in his D+2 season. Top10 talent not but 2 years ago. No red flags post draft.

If you think the cost of replacement to the McLeod type of player is low, like picking up Heinen, Suter, Blueger and Sherwood in FA for bottomt6 money, then the value of Savoie as a prospect is worth maturing. If you think the McLeod archetype is valuable over and above other 25-30 EVP producers, then he's an uncommon asset and the trade is close.

I think BUF got caught looking for centres at the wrong time and BUF had a clear abundance of high end boom/bust prospects. Meaning, the trading environment was not balanced from the outset. That value has filtered into the trade judging by which boom/bust prospect EDM was able to garner.

Last edited:

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
So the Oilers had one of the greatest playoff PKs of all-time and they lose two of their better PKers in Mcleod and Desharnais. They added offense in Arvidsson and Skinner. But they probably should have added one and then targeted a Dman with the remaining cap space or tried to upgrade Skinner.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Preds went all in with Stamkos and Marchessault.....but just not sure how it'll all work out. The guts of their roster like Josi, Saros, O'Reilly, and now Stamkos and Marchessault were well on the north side of 30. And even Filip Forsberg is 29.

They could squeeze a couple of competitive years out of this group......but it could also implode if some of these players age out quickly. But I guess you have to hand it to Trotz for rolling the dice.
The question for me is are the Preds better than Dallas or the Avs?

Edmonton, Vegas....the west is stacked some teams, maybe even us, are going to miss out on their windows.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
1000000605.jpg

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Jeff Jackson is going to win the Oilers a Cup.

former agents, man. gillis made it clear - this is why a number of us were talking about zito years before he ever got brought up in rumours.

too bad for them they also have a hundred dinosaurs in the organization and a media that is pushing to hire an old boy like stan bowman instead lmao

glad we have castonguay - she could very easily be up next somewhere.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Crosby rumored to sign a 3Y/10m AAV extension—means we’ll be able to get him at the deadline in the last year of the Quinn Hughes bargain contract 👍👍

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
For all the complaining about tampering, the system is probably working as it should.

You don't want players being talked to while they're still playing, but after that it makes no sense for them to spin their wheels for up to 2 months. Nothing is legal until July 1 and the NHL gets its big day but also gets a good run up of speculation. It's obviously not fait accompli or teams wouldn't be spending assets to obtain rights. That said, if exact contract details are being leaked prior to July 1 the league should be conducting an investigation - that keeps everyone somewhat honest. It is a bit of a disadvantage for players who are still playing late into the playoffs but players on successful playoff teams are usually at a premium regardless.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pretty fast by McLellan to go from assistant to the man to man with ring to man upstairs-upstairs. I think?
He's 66 in October. If he wants to take a step back and let the up and comer take over, I get that.

Crosby rumored to sign a 3Y/10m AAV extension—means we’ll be able to get him at the deadline in the last year of the Quinn Hughes bargain contract 👍👍
To put the Sid deal in perspective, he still has 1 year left and he's a 2005 pick. Stamkos just signed for 4 years as a 2008 draft pick. So, Sid begins this new deal at the same age that Stamkos would be at the conclusion of his Nashville contract.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
He's 66 in October.

To put the Sid deal in perspective, he still has 1 year left and he's a 2005 pick. Stamkos just signed for 4 years as a 2008 draft pick. So, Sid begins this new deal at the same age (birth year), that Stamkos would be at the conclusion of his Nashville contract.
I meant like he's done well to quickly knock down the steps. Relatively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad