Around the League Thread | The one where Florida blows it…?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I think it's more the other way around than what you're thinking of (although there's a chance I misread your post). In this case, Washington dumped a contract that would have taken more than a 1st to move for a player who, while overpaid, is still a useful player and might bounce back. Kuemper at this point is closer to replacement level and unusable as a starter. Of course, on the flip side, Washington is taking on more years of what is/could be a very bad contract.

I'm not entirely clear on what happened to him in LA. I think he'll bounce back.

I meant that the original Dubois trade with Winnipeg was his OEL trade plus all the assets he had to give up to make the cap work.

Kuemper for sure is a negative value contract. Solid starter and underrated during his prime, but not a starter anymore and declining. Maybe LA gets some goalie voodoo and he rebounds but I wouldn’t count on it.

Washington definitely took on the most risk with the length of his contract and history of quitting on his team. At least Washington didn’t give up anything of value like Chicago did in the Jones trade. I think Dubois will rebound too. I don’t think Dubois pouting in the past was team performance based, but because of disagreement with Torts in Columbus, and being stuck behind in 1Cs in Winnipeg and LA. He’ll get to be 1C again in Washington. It’s just a question of how long before he quits again when Washington starts to decline and has to rebuild. They may regret this one in 5 years if they are trying to exit their rebuild

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
For me, a logo is something I should see and then kind of know what it represents. I mean, the best logos are ones that you don't have to read. Whether it's a car with Tesla, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, etc, or even tech companies like Apple, Facebook, etc. you should NOT need to read the actual name of the team.

Kings had the Crown (both from their Yellow/Purple and Black/Purple/Silver) ones to choose from. I think picking one of those would have been better.

Little surprised the Ducks seem like they are going back to the Disney logo. Not to mention, based on early leaks, they will follow the SJ Sharks and go all out in a bright color and going all Orange including helmets and pants at home. So, going to take time to get used to that look.

I don’t really like the orange. If going back to the Disney logo it is a crime to not not bring back the original Mighty Ducks jersey which I am a big fan of. Even than it should probably just be an alternate because I think going away from the Disney look brought respect. But now I guess the Mighty Ducks are nostalgic so they can make money off it again.

Reactions: BimJenning

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t really like the orange. If going back to the Disney logo it is a crime to not not bring back the original Mighty Ducks jersey which I am a big fan of. Even than it should probably just be an alternate because I think going away from the Disney look brought respect. But now I guess the Mighty Ducks are nostalgic so they can make money off it again.
I am surprised that they are going back to that Disney logo.

But, for the teams like Van, Buff, LA, Ana, etc. who have changed color schemes, there is going to be a portion of the fanbase that like a certain look/scheme more than the other.
Just the reality when you significantly change colors, vs just the shade of blue like Edm or red like Cal.

Reactions: Bojack Horvatman

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I meant that the original Dubois trade with Winnipeg was his OEL trade plus all the assets he had to give up to make the cap work.
I guess I'm having trouble with the comparison since the OEL trade involved taking on OEL's (bad) long-term contract in exchange for 1 year of (really bad) contracts (of players who were replacement level). OEL also was/is IMO a serviceable top 4 calibre Dman. The PLD trade with Winnipeg is very much a hockey trade (asset for assets) even though the results weren't there. That's why I think it's more the other way around if you want to use the OEL trade as a comparison. Here, Washington is clearly getting the better and very much serviceable but overpaid player (and taking on the risk of a long term overpaid contract) in exchange they get to dump a shorter term overpaid contract where the player might not be NHL calibre anymore.

Kuemper for sure is a negative value contract. Solid starter and underrated during his prime, but not a starter anymore and declining. Maybe LA gets some goalie voodoo and he rebounds but I wouldn’t count on it.
Remember that he suffered a serious eye injury as well. So there are good reasons to believe that the marked decline is permanent.

Washington definitely took on the most risk with the length of his contract and history of quitting on his team. At least Washington didn’t give up anything of value like Chicago did in the Jones trade. I think Dubois will rebound too. I don’t think Dubois pouting in the past was team performance based, but because of disagreement with Torts in Columbus, and being stuck behind in 1Cs in Winnipeg and LA. He’ll get to be 1C again in Washington. It’s just a question of how long before he quits again when Washington starts to decline and has to rebuild. They may regret this one in 5 years if they are trying to exit their rebuild

Agreed. PLD is a frustrating player. Sum definitely less than the parts.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Martin Necas comes up in just about every trade rumor, linked to 8-10 teams including the Canucks.

Still can't understand why the Hurricanes are so desperately anxious to unload this guy. Are there issues that other teams aren't aware of?

Still only 25, he's a 60-70 point forward who can play center or wing. He's also an elite level skater. I mean, what's not to like?

But Carolina appears to be have really soured on him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Martin Necas comes up in just about every trade rumor, linked to 8-10 teams including the Canucks.

Still can't understand why the Hurricanes are so desperately anxious to unload this guy. Are there issues that other teams aren't aware of?

Still only 25, he's a 60-70 point forward who can play center or wing. He's also an elite level skater. I mean, what's not to like?

But Carolina appears to be have really soured on him.

Poor defensive player, soft-ish, poor playoff track record, very inconsistent production.

Impressive skater, looks like a star rushing the puck in the neutral zone, but hasn't really been the sum of his parts. Has that one 71-point season and then 53 points is his next best.

But then Kevin Fiala is a pretty similar player and he had a big breakout at about the same age so it's certainly possible.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I've decided to make peace with either outcome.

I hate the Oilers...but their comeback would be the single greatest in pro sports history. It would be remarkable to watch live. What's more, Canada getting a Cup in any respect is good for the game as a whole.

And what McDavid is doing right now rivals the greatest players to ever put on skates. The man is doing things I never thought were possible.

f*** their fans, though. Bunch of right cunts.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I've decided to make peace with either outcome.

I hate the Oilers...but their comeback would be the single greatest in pro sports history. It would be remarkable to watch live. What's more, Canada getting a Cup in any respect is good for the game as a whole.

And what McDavid is doing right now rivals the greatest players to ever put on skates. The man is doing things I never thought were possible.

f*** their fans, though. Bunch of right cunts.

This is where I’m at, too. I still have issues with some of their players, media and fans, but that said - watching what McDavid is doing feels like the kind of thing my sons are going to tell their Grandkids about one day. And if the Oilers manage to come back from 3-0 to win a Cup, it’ll be pretty well impossible not to be impressed and say they earned it.

Of course - I still want Florida to win. Bobby Lu getting a ring trumps all.

But my gut also says Edmonton is taking Game 6.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
The worst outcome is the series extending to 7 games, so “go Panthers” for game 6. However if it does go 7, the ideal result is having the ice melt in the vicious heat wave rolling over large parts of the continent resulting in no cup being awarded this year. Failing that, a Panthers epic choke job is the second most fun result.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
This is where I’m at, too. I still have issues with some of their players, media and fans, but that said - watching what McDavid is doing feels like the kind of thing my sons are going to tell their Grandkids about one day. And if the Oilers manage to come back from 3-0 to win a Cup, it’ll be pretty well impossible not to be impressed and say they earned it.

Huh. People are watching the finals in this 30 degree heat? I’m out enjoying the few days of sun we get a year

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Huh. People are watching the finals in this 30 degree heat? I’m out enjoying the few days of sun we get a year

I'm one of those suckers that watches pretty much any hockey I can. :laugh: But I do want the Finals to end so we can get into the true craziness of the draft/free agency/etc.

I would love for Florida to close it out tonight - but as I said, my gut says Edmonton. Also had a dream last night that Bobrovsky wasn't able to start Game 6 due to an injury/illness. Probably not a great omen.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Florida was very fortunate to go up 3-0 and were aided by superior goaltending in the first few games. A correction was always a possibility but getting blown out 8-1 has psychologically damaged the confidence and swagger the Panthers had prior to the SCF's. Bob has reverted back to a mid goaltender, Maurice and co have zero answers right now and I expect the Oilers to once again score 5 goals tonight.

For Florida, you sympathize. The way Vancouver lost was very demoralizing in 2011, but it would hurt to lose back to back Stanley Cup Finals, including one by letting a 3-0 series lead evaporate.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I'm one of those suckers that watches pretty much any hockey I can. :laugh: But I do want the Finals to end so we can get into the true craziness of the draft/free agency/etc.

I would love for Florida to close it out tonight - but as I said, my gut says Edmonton. Also had a dream last night that Bobrovsky wasn't able to start Game 6 due to an injury/illness. Probably not a great omen.
Panthers have to find a way to keep as much of this game 5V5 as possible.... Edmonton is dominating both sides of the special teams battle. Their PK has been so good in the post season it's almost unheard of.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Florida was very fortunate to go up 3-0 and were aided by superior goaltending in the first few games. A correction was always a possibility but getting blown out 8-1 has psychologically damaged the confidence and swagger the Panthers had prior to the SCF's. Bob has reverted back to a mid goaltender, Maurice and co have zero answers right now and I expect the Oilers to once again score 5 goals tonight.

For Florida, you sympathize. The way Vancouver lost was very demoralizing in 2011, but it would hurt to lose back to back Stanley Cup Finals, including one by letting a 3-0 series lead evaporate.

They lost 4-3 after the blowout. I think 'psychologically damaged' is over exaggerated. McDavid has been otherworldly and that's mostly what's contributed to the last 2 games, not some fantasy emotional trauma.

Series is 3-2 and if we ignore a 3 game and 2 game winning streak by both teams the series should probably be at 3-2 anyways.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Florida needs to start the game on time... last game the carried some play, but you could see some nerves.

I am not ok with the oilers winning the cup... I agree with everything everyone was saying about how amazing it is, and what McDavid is doing... but I really don't want to hear Oiler fans tell me that... ever... at any point...

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Florida needs to start the game on time... last game the carried some play, but you could see some nerves.

I am not ok with the oilers winning the cup... I agree with everything everyone was saying about how amazing it is, and what McDavid is doing... but I really don't want to hear Oiler fans tell me that... ever... at any point...

The Panthers also need to keep it 5 on 5. Their PP is worse than ineffective, it keeps giving up short handed goals.

Keys for the Cats, IMO - keep it 5 on 5, and Bobrovsky needs to be stronger than he has been the last two games.

Keys for the Oilers - keep killing it with special teams, and keep clearing Skinner's crease.

Reactions: racerjoe and quat

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

My dreams consists of a couple Blondes and....well this is a family oriented board so I'll leave it at that.:sarcasm:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Panthers have to find a way to keep as much of this game 5V5 as possible.... Edmonton is dominating both sides of the special teams battle. Their PK has been so good in the post season it's almost unheard of.
Discipline a team can control, like elbowing, high-stick, roughing calls.
Lazy is the hooks, holds, trips which you can control as well.

Then there is the opposition putting you in a bad position with a strong play.
At that point, can you defend and not take a penalty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad