Around the League Thread | The one where Florida blows it…?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Michael Buble’s story of postponing an entire concert in Connecticut, only to return there and get booed / walked out on while he performed.

wut? how have i never heard this before?

The Oilers and their fanbase try to wear on the whole BLUE COLLAR BOOTSTRAPS COUNTRY LIFE ALBERTA thing, and it's funny because they're basically only relevant in current times because they were given, what, 6 top 5 picks in 7 years for being so useless, and I find the parallels to be kind of beautiful.

Hell, the franchise's entire relevance basically owes itself to the ratf***ery around Gretzky's contract and the entry draft.

haha, yes, almost certainly the fanbase most likely to go off about “handouts” and dismantling the welfare state and all social safety nets

Well, if you want the most painful possible outcome for an Oilers fan... they could be up 3-1 with 10 minutes to go, Skinner lets in a softie, Panthers come on, Oilers panic, Panthers tie game with two minutes left, then the Panthers score on an innocent looking deflected point shot early in overtime. The crowd goes wild!

with tkachuk’s skate in the crease, but it’s too late to review it. please let this happen

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Well, if you want the most painful possible outcome for an Oilers fan... they could be up 3-1 with 10 minutes to go, Skinner lets in a softie, Panthers come on, Oilers panic, Panthers tie game with two minutes left, then the Panthers score on an innocent looking deflected point shot early in overtime. The crowd goes wild!
Either this would be a great scenario or the Coilers get blown out.

That said, I no longer have any expectations on the Panthers.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Either this would be a great scenario or the Coilers get blown out.

That said, I no longer have any expectations on the Panthers.
Once Florida loses....I fully expect Florida to have a mid season next year leading to dismal season ticket sales for 2025-26 and a return to 3000-5000 attendance numbers.

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
The internet is wild. Yeah, you get some weird and overtly obsessive people on HFBoards but then you get to Twitter. My god, now that is absolute brain rot.

As for the Oilers and Florida finals - it's a compelling story either way. A couple of my really close friends are Oilers fans and I'm more cheering for their happiness than the Oil themselves. If they lose, I'll be sad for them, but I'm coming on here afterwards and shit talking the Oilers all night lmao
Same. We were all wallowing in self pity in Calgary prior to them getting McJesus, haha

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
If Florida finishes the historic collapse I wonder what the heck happens there. I mean you look at the final game last year getting blown out 9-3 and then blowing a 3-0 lead this year. You’d think some changes could be made to the core.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Montour is playing hurt I think. He's not as bad as he's shown it's reminding me of Hronek. Florida is having trouble transitioning from their own zone and Montour is typically a strong puck mover. You couple that with OEL playing extra minutes and PP1 and it's all of a sudden a mediocre defense.
OEL as the PP1 QB in cup-clinching games in the Stanley Cup Finals has had me rolling. I want Florida to win but I can't help but laugh when I see that.
If Florida finishes the historic collapse I wonder what the heck happens there. I mean you look at the final game last year getting blown out 9-3 and then blowing a 3-0 lead this year. You’d think some changes could be made to the core.
Zito is aggressive and he will be pissed if they lose. Especially considering how hard it is to get to the SCF, let alone two years in a row - lotta miles put on those bodies.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

archangel2

May 19, 2019
here is a question I have---why do the oilers get bashed for their top picks and the Pens get a free pass?

2002 Whitney 5th
2003--fluery 1st
2004- Malkin 2nd
2005- Crosby 1st
2006--Staal 2nd

The oilers top draft picks? Only 3 are still on the team

2010 Hall--trade for Larsson who left for nothing
2011--Hopkins--in a redraft he goes 5th or 6th
2012--Yakupov---very bad draft overall
2013--nurse taken outside the top 5
2014--Leon--many said the oilers should have taken Bennett(he was ranked higher)
2015--Mcdavid
2016--Jessie Puljarvi--left for almost nothing

Compared to the Pens haul for all their top picks? Oilers are a distant 2nd

OEL as the PP1 QB in cup-clinching games in the Stanley Cup Finals has had me rolling. I want Florida to win but I can't help but laugh when I see that.

Zito is aggressive and he will be pissed if they lose. Especially considering how hard it is to get to the SCF, let alone two years in a row - lotta miles put on those bodies.

The Memes on Zito is getting funny. Serious question--does he take his chair with him everywhere?

The Memes on Zito is getting funny. Serious question--does he take his chair with him everywhere?

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
here is a question I have---why do the oilers get bashed for their top picks and the Pens get a free pass?

2002 Whitney 5th
2003--fluery 1st
2004- Malkin 2nd
2005- Crosby 1st
2006--Staal 2nd

2014--Leon--many said the oilers should have taken Bennett(he was ranked higher)
2015--Mcdavid

The Pens do get bashed lol, they are the Oilers of the Eastern Conference. There's already plenty of jokes floating around about Gavin McKenna inevitably becoming a Penguin.

Reactions: CanadianPirate

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
all i got to say about tomorrow is - i think i know a dozen people, probably more, who are driving up from calgary to just be in edmonton for the game lol

if there's a riot of any sort - i'm not worried about it, our police budget is through the roof - it's those scumbags

should be a great hockey game. the multi day break is insane, but there will be a lot of casual americans watching. the nba finals starting with the same script but falling short with the f***ing celtics winning + the one household-ish name in the sport...

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I can’t imagine the Oilers not winning today with how the series has gone. Just insane. I would rather any other team win than them and now it’s actually going to be happening.

I have always wanted the Canucks to be the first Canadian team to win the cup after so many years. Sounds dumb but the Oilers winning the cup this year kind of ruins excitement for me going ahead into next season and beyond. Our success won’t feel the same and hearing about the Oilers for the next 50 years will suck lol.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I can’t imagine the Oilers not winning today with how the series has gone. Just insane. I would rather any other team win than them and now it’s actually going to be happening.

I have always wanted the Canucks to be the first Canadian team to win the cup after so many years. Sounds dumb but the Oilers winning the cup this year kind of ruins excitement for me going ahead into next season and beyond. Our success won’t feel the same and hearing about the Oilers for the next 50 years will suck lol.

I've always thought about us winning the cup more than the first Canadian team to bring the cup home after XXXX amount of years. That's more important to me. I never really bought into the Canadas team thing either.
Bob not on the ice for practice which is apparently uncommon for him. Injury?
Ekblad wasn't at practice either.

game 7. This is all in. I expect Mcdavid to play every other shift. No joke. its all in for them.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I mean it's the oiler's fans that are obnovious not the players (with exception to Perry and Kane).
Regardless of what happens tomorrow, what the oilers did this season is nothing short of amazing.

In a way Im kinda glad the canucks were the team that gave them the most trouble this post-season, it gives me a lot of hope for the upcoming season.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
They have to rebuild that blueline. Montour is probably gone, his last season was probably a flash in the pan, he has regressed back to his career normal. Ekblad is definitely overpaid.

They might move on from Reinhart as well. Probably not wise for a contender to be paying Reinhart 9+m.

Their forwards are still loaded, they have Forsling on the blueline and Bob is still a good goalie (despite the last 3 games), they have a good foundation. Just need to find a 1RSD and some depth.

2002 Whitney 5th
2003--fluery 1st
2004- Malkin 2nd
2005- Crosby 1st
2006--Staal 2nd

2015--Mcdavid

For me, I give the Pens a little bit of a pass because of all the financial trouble they had in the late 90s to early 00s. They had to gut their team due to money reason, not so much just being completely incompetent.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Driving to work I realized this is the 2nd game 7 for the Cup since 2011 and first not involving the Bruins in 15 years. Fandom aside I can’t remember a SCF game 7 with this much drama since I began watching.

Reactions: tradervik

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

2002 Whitney 5th
2003--fluery 1st
2004- Malkin 2nd
2005- Crosby 1st
2006--Staal 2nd

2015--Mcdavid

Ya the Oilers a distant second with only the best player in history to show for it.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I'm just glad the season will finally be over tonight, but of course, watch the game go into 5OT and somehow the season will technically end on June 25th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad