Around the League Thread | The one where Florida blows it…?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Addendum - this new trend going around the Canadian Media on Twitter that "this is the biggest Game 7 ever" is...something else.

I think from the historical perspective of a potential 3-0 comeback, sure, it has the potential to be a neat piece of history. But I don't think that invalidates previous Game 7s/makes them any less "big" or "important".

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Well he is the expert on winning game 7’s in the stanley cup final.

Maybe that is why they choked the 3-0 lead as well as their blowouts in the finals from last year. Something tells me their team went to Luongo for leadership and experience for those pressure situations.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Which is surprising because their D has been one of their strongest points all year. OEL was a good contract and acquisition at his price as a 4 or 5 guy - but yeah, having him QB the top PP unit and playing in all the crucial situations hasn’t worked out so well. Montour’s game falling off a cliff at the worst possible time isn’t great for Florida, either.
OEL's been fine in third pair usage.

Like you said, the issue is that Montour is bad and can't even contribute offensively now. He's been horrible for most of the playoffs.

OEL is on PP1, it's kind of hard for the Oilers not to win.

While the Panthers are loaded up front, their D is surprisingly weak and shallow. Montour played his way off the team this finals.
FLA's PP has been terrible pretty much all playoffs, they should have moved off Montour there a long time ago.

Montour was on the way out regardless. He's not good.

Last edited:
Reactions: BimJenning

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I just don't see a player like McDavid letting this opportunity to cement his legacy fall apart. Edmonton has gotta be taking this tonight.

Reactions: BimJenning

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
I’m pretty sure the oilers are feeling pressure too, it’s game 7 of the Stanley cup.

With that said, expect the worst outcome as a Canucks fan, and to me that’s the oilers winning.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Well boys...today is the day. I can't believe it's come to this, but here we are.

Reminds me a lot of how 2012 felt, except this will be 100x worse because of the Canadian aspect. Therefore, I think the best thing to mentally do is detach from the outcome.

Yes, the Oilers winning sucks for the Canucks and their fans. However, it is definitely good for the sport as a whole. McDavid is simply the most talented player (other than Gretz and Mario) we've ever seen. His career ending without a Cup was always going to be very unlikely, especially since they were able to build around him.

You also have to respect the job that Knoblauch has done in that dressing room. The man is having a legendary run, capped off with that pivotal challenge in Game 6. You'd have to be ignorant to not appreciate what he's been able to do with that team. 2-9-1 through multiple huge winning streaks, and overcoming series defecits 3/4 times to get to this point.

Yes, the Oilers benefitted from staying healthy and having their opponents deal with crucial injuries. Yes, they have had a lot of bounces and puck luck go their way. But that team has f***ing heart.

If the Canucks were at the precipice of a comeback of this magnitude, we would be absolutely beside ourselves. So I can't blame their fans for being especially obnoxious right now. If they lose...the season is still a success any way you slice it. This core could compete for the next several years if Draisaitl takes a discount to stay.

It will be a looooooong summer. I'd suggest staying off the main boards and taking a break from hockey for a while if it actually makes you upset. Best thing to do is just remember that none of this impacts your life. Oilers fans chirping us about winning Cups and not having any ourselves? Same story as its been since the 80s.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Yes, the Oilers benefitted from staying healthy and having their opponents deal with crucial injuries. Yes, they have had a lot of bounces and puck luck go their way. But that team has f***ing heart.

Boeser and Miller gave it their all. I get Pettersson had a minor knee injury but I will still never forgive him for letting this opportunity slip through his fingers.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Boeser and Miller gave it their all. I get Pettersson had a minor knee injury but I will still never forgive him for letting this opportunity slip through his fingers.
But did EP have that bad an injury at all? The team was surprised he never saw team doctors. Why? Would not the team want to protect it's investment? The trainers never saw anything or asked? Tendonitis is the only possible injury that isn't long term so there might not be any rehab needed. So now he disappears and no one knows if he see's a doctor at all.

Boeser had the best games of his career, Miller looked like he was running down, tiring near the end.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
But did EP have that bad an injury at all? The team was surprised he never saw team doctors. Why? Would not the team want to protect it's investment? The trainers never saw anything or asked? Tendonitis is the only possible injury that isn't long term so there might not be any rehab needed. So now he disappears and no one knows if he see's a doctor at all.

Boeser had the best games of his career, Miller looked like he was running down, tiring near the end.

The team just wasn't deep enough to compete. Lindholm, though he played a good role, was not the best fit for a deadline acquisition. They really should have found a way to land Guentzel as scoring became a big problem by the end. Too many players disappeared, and I would think having Guenztel with Pettersson gets the latter into the game a lot more.

Mikheyev was just f***ing atrocious all playoffs long and sucked any scoring away from that line. Toffoli should have been brought in as well.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The team just wasn't deep enough to compete. Lindholm, though he played a good role, was not the best fit for a deadline acquisition. They really should have found a way to land Guentzel as scoring became a big problem by the end. Too many players disappeared, and I would think having Guenztel with Pettersson gets the latter into the game a lot more.

Mikheyev was just f***ing atrocious all playoffs long and sucked any scoring away from that line. Toffoli should have been brought in as well.
Guentzel as a TDL rental ya. but not 5, 6 or 7 years from now.

If what Pettersson says is true the had been injured since January.

A number of things started happening in January to the TDL.
Tocchet started changing the system putting more emphasis on defence.
Kuzmenko traded, Lindholm injured, Boeser's game fell off a cliff, Demko injured, again, Hronek and Hughes split, Carolina rumours supposedly almost done, EP signs his 8 year contract

Garland looked dynamic but still only got 5 points

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

While Stecher would get screwed out of having his name on a Cup, however this game goes, I'd be happy for either of these guys.

Hoping it's Luongo, but nonetheless.

obviously would be thrilled for lu, but oel or ken holland is the one i keep thinking about. life is weird sometimes.

imo, pressure is on edmonton to close vs just stay alive which is a different ball game mentally speaking. florida has to reset, which is easier to do (last two games aside) than to continue momentum after a two day break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad