Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Well if Vegas Florida and Tampa has taught us anything it's that when you're as close as the Oilers were the last couple years it's probable they are as good of odds as anyone to win it all this year.

They did make a weird shift in totality away from some fast young play driving players and better defence to older slower forwards (better on paper) that may help come playoffs by not making mistakes but also may fizzle out over the long season and put too much heavy lifting back onto McDrai.

Plenty of time to make some changes but that could backfire big time if guys like Hyman RNH Skinner Henrique and Arvidsson start to hit that age 32/33 wall.

As a rival i would love to see it

Reactions: wetcoast

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The McDavid and Draisatl contracts are ridiculously below value at this point and even a fairly middling team behind them still puts them as favourites.

They are far from prohibitive favourites though; they are simply the best bet in a wide open field.

It'll be interesting to see how they do. I don't think I've seen a contender prioritize offence over defence to the level they have. They'll certainly do well in the regular season but they could easily be knocked out by a team that closes out the middle of the ice and has stellar goaltending.
No question they are a top team. They should be among the favourites but I don't think they are THE favourite. They have some pretty significant holes that will continue to require McDrai to outscore. And they are coming off a long season now and sometimes that doesn't go well.

But in terms of picking the favourites there isn't actually much thought put into it by media. If asked to pick 4 the template would be:
- the defending champ if they haven't had major roster changes
- the runner-up if they weren't a cinderella team
- a conference finalist the previous year
- add in one team that could surprise.

Reactions: timw33

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
No question they are a top team. They should be among the favourites but I don't think they are THE favourite. They have some pretty significant holes that will continue to require McDrai to outscore. And they are coming off a long season now and sometimes that doesn't go well.

But in terms of picking the favourites there isn't actually much thought put into it by media. If asked to pick 4 the template seems to be:
- the defending champ if they haven't had major roster changes
- the runner-up if they weren't a cinderella team
- a conference finalist the previous year
- add in one team that could surprise.

How would you choose a favourite? Who do you think is the favourite this season?

Perhaps I would choose Dallas if they hadn't have handed out $7m to two barely replacement level defenders this offseason.

The Oilers have holes but so does every team.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Oilers have very little organizational depth. But the plan will be to play McDavid and Draisatl 25-30 minutes a game. Not something that usually works well for players that aren't D-men.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
How would you choose a favourite? Who do you think is the favourite this season?

Perhaps I would choose Dallas if they hadn't have handed out $7m to two barely replacement level defenders this offseason.

The Oilers have holes but so does every team.
Personally I believe the Panthers remain the favourite. Even with Montour leaving I'm not sure I see any real obvious holes on that roster. They are top 6 heavy up front but I think I like their bargain forwards better than most. And they play the right way to go deep in the playoffs.

Edmonton's run was pretty unusual IMO. Not that they weren't a good team but other than LA any team could have taken them out I think. They got outplayed a lot in rounds 2 and 3. Especially against the Stars. I fully believe the Stars were the best team in that series. A PP+PK > 123% where both the PP and PK are at high numbers will be extremely hard to replicate and that was likely the deciding factor in rounds 2 and 3. (The year before it was a similar PP+PK but the PK was dreadful and PP ridiculous in round 1. Round 2 it began to fall apart and they got dominated 5-on-5). We will see what happens of course but I think the Oilers are worse defensively to start the year and they are much slower. They will be good but I don't think they got better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brookbank

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Personally I believe the Panthers remain the favourite. Even with Montour leaving I'm not sure I see any real obvious holes on that roster. They are top 6 heavy up front but I think I like their bargain forwards better than most. And they play the right way to go deep in the playoffs.

So the cup winners from last season? Isn't that basically the same thing you were complaining about?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Oilers have very little organizational depth. But the plan will be to play McDavid and Draisatl 25-30 minutes a game. Not something that usually works well for players that aren't D-men.
Wonder if they'd be a team interested in making trades for these guys who've already slipped through waivers like Gage Goncalves, Bolduc, etc. whatever.

They're not even close to the 50 contract limit right now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 11.35.34 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 11.35.34 AM.png
    563 KB · Views: 1

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
So the cup winners from last season? Isn't that basically the same thing you were complaining about?
I wasn't "complaining" about anything. I was just saying that when the media puts together lists like that they put little thought into things. It's a template. There are often no real reasons behind the selections they make. It's like picking who is going to score the OT goal....it's gut feel. That's all.

When you dig into things I don't think Edmonton should be a distinguished favourite but in a tier with numerous other teams because I don't think they got better this summer. At all. I think they got worse and they caught lightning in a bottle with the PK which likely won't happen again. They went from a team regularly below 80% PK to nearly 95% in the post-season.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I wasn't "complaining" about anything. I was just saying that when the media puts together lists like that they put little thought into things. It's a template. There are often no real reasons behind the selections they make. It's like picking who is going to score the OT goal....it's gut feel. That's all.

When you dig into things I don't think Edmonton should be a distinguished favourite but in a tier with numerous other teams because I don't think they got better this summer. At all. I think they got worse and they caught lightning in a bottle with the PK which likely won't happen again. They went from a team regularly below 80% PK to nearly 95% in the post-season.

Well a lot of people think they got better with their moves. I'm not sure I agree, but again, you haven't really set out any better criteria as to how to pick a favourite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad