Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
If one takes off the homer glasses and realizes how close the Oilers got to winning last year with a mangled Draisatil and no Kane then they would see why the Oilers are favoured by many to come out of the West,
Yeah, I freely admit I gained a lot of respect for the Oilers as a hockey team last season. They are awkwardly constructed but they have the skill and athletic ability to crank up their pace and decision-making for the 2nd round and beyond.

However, I also don't think their additions are going to make them much better, with the possible exception of Arvidsson. This team will still depend largely on the play of 6-8 players.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I’m calling Yzwrman as Jim Benning 2.0

Was part of an incredible organization because of other ppl’s work and now is getting exposed ‬
Nobody is that bad

If one takes off the homer glasses and realizes how close the Oilers got to winning last year with a mangled Draisatil and no Kane then they would see why the Oilers are favoured by many to come out of the West,
Repeated this a thousand times, they caught lightning in a bottle and had a historic PK that is joy repeatable. Nevermind they lost a bunch of speed that made their PK effective. Not saying they will have a bottom 10PK but it won’t be 95% good.

Reactions: Brookbank

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022

I think the tone of this post is an example of the wish casting people do about the best player in the league. They think the McDavid should win a cup. Because it would just look bad on the game if he didn't.

I live in Edmonton and don't actually hate the team as much as everyone else. You're accusing me of partisanship but it is really the opposite. I was trying to be as objective as I can.

The Oilers last year spent a portion of the season out of the playoffs. And they lost that infamous game against the Sharks. Then they had to go on a miracle run just to make it. Then they almost lost in the first round against the Canucks. If they lost that round, the consensus would have been that goaltending was the reason they were a 1st round exit. But they squeaked it out. And this is what you are calling a commanding run to a Stanley cup final. It was anything but.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad