Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Yeah, I'm hoping it's a hockey cultural shift where having such awful problems and seeking real help is no longer a negative talking point.

I listened to an interview with Glenn Healey last season and it sounds like he’s put in a lot of work helping players behind the scenes. It’s slowly being destigmatized and there’s a lot we as fans don’t get to see.

Certainly seems to be moving in the right direction and we’ll have less post-career tragedies.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I listened to an interview with Glenn Healey last season and it sounds like he’s put in a lot of work helping players behind the scenes. It’s slowly being destigmatized and there’s a lot we as fans don’t get to see.

Certainly seems to be moving in the right direction and we’ll have less post-career tragedies.

Good to hear, I hope players themselves can also recognize their problems and address them early. Shorter career can still mean a long fulfilling life, but trying to have the same life as a broken person is much harder.

EDIT: Destigmatized, that's the word I was looking for! F***!

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
cannot believe i picked buffalo and their 500 year old coach to have a breakout year
They’re so bad. Loser culture over there. No intensity, no chemistry, everyone’s just trying to do their own thing.

Cozens, Byram, Tuch, and Dahlin seem to be the only guys who give a shit. Thompson is trash. Slow, one dimensional, soft, no sense of urgency. It’s like watching Loui Eriksson.

I think it’s time to bring Byram home.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
They’re so bad. Loser culture over there. No intensity, no chemistry, everyone’s just trying to do their own thing.

Cozens, Byram, Tuch, and Dahlin seem to be the only guys who give a shit. Thompson is trash. Slow, one dimensional, soft, no sense of urgency. It’s like watching Loui Eriksson.

someone on their board was talking about how tuch's wife is from vancouver :cool:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

What do you even do if you are Buffalo? You get rid of Eichel and Skinner thinking they are issues and the team still looks like shit. You decent guys locked up in Cozens and Dahlin...but another rebuild would waste their prime years and chase away fans.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
IWhat do you even do if you are Buffalo? You get rid of Eichel and Skinner thinking they are issues and the team still looks like shit. You decent guys locked up in Cozens and Dahlin...but another rebuild would waste their prime years and chase away fans.
I have no clue. 13-14 years now of sucking, doesn’t look like it’ll get any better.

They need to retool that rotten loser core. Nobody in that organization knows how to win or what it takes to win.

First they need to get rid of Kevyn Adams. Then I’d start with the lame ass one dimensional players. Guys who don’t seem to give a shit or don’t bring much overall team value. Thompson, Quinn, quite honestly Power, etc.

Benson looks like a gamer but he’s f***ing 19. But you keep him, Cozens, Dahlin, Byram, Samuelsson, Tuch, and Peterka and find guys that can support them. They need Theodore, Andersson, Weegar, types. Kadri, Colton, Middleton, Granlund for example would be nice depth players to add and are role players that are actually good. Not useless bums like Lafferty or McLeod.

If I’m Buffalo I’d be working on a trade that sends Power to Calgary for Andersson. Or hell Thompson and Power for Andersson, Kadri, and Coleman. Just those 3 guys alone would instantly change the culture.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Boy these Buffalo Sabres look a lot like....the Buffalo Sabres of the past few years. Just zero intensity, zero attention to defensive play, constantly gifting Grade A chances and odd man rushes.

They are reminding me of the Ottawa Senators team that has a ton of individuals locked up to long term deals, but aren't really a cohesive team.

They need their Rutherford/Allvin/Tocchet culture change moment in the worst way. Thought that the Savoie for McLeod move, Malenstyn acquisition were steps in the right direction, but the top half of the roster still doesn't know how to play defence.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I have no clue. 13-14 years now of sucking, doesn’t look like it’ll get any better.

They need to retool that rotten loser core. Nobody in that organization knows how to win or what it takes to win.

First they need to get rid of Kevyn Adams. Then I’d start with the lame ass one dimensional players. Guys who don’t seem to give a shit or don’t bring much overall team value. Thompson, Quinn, quite honestly Power, etc.

Benson looks like a gamer but he’s f***ing 19. But you keep him, Cozens, Dahlin, Byram, Samuelsson, Tuch, and Peterka and find guys that can support them. They need Theodore, Andersson, Weegar, types. Kadri, Colton, Middleton, Granlund for example would be nice depth players to add and are role players that are actually good. Not useless bums like Lafferty or McLeod.

If I’m Buffalo I’d be working on a trade that sends Power to Calgary for Andersson. Or hell Thompson and Power for Andersson, Kadri, and Coleman. Just those 3 guys alone would instantly change the culture.
Power for Andersson is a beyond awful trade for Buffalo.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Anyone else pretty dissapointed by the Amazon series? I thought the only good episodes where the last two episodes with McDavid and Tkachuk.

It felt like Drive to Surive lite lite lite edition. If I were a new viewer that has never really watched hockey before I would have no idea what was going on or what the hell the narratives were. Also, no offense, Hughes/Trouba/Nylander/Pastrnak/Landeskog have the personalities of a drywall.

They should of focused on guys with personalities like Marchand seems like such an obvious choice as a villian to follow around. It never felt like we spent enough time with a player to really know what their personalities are. They even poorly explained Tkachuk vs Oilers rivarly.

Why are you focusing on Landeskog who hasn't even played a f***ing game since 2022.

f*** now that I think more on it. Who the f*** were the "broadcasters" they even chose. Who the f*** is Blackburn whatever the f***. Just have Biz and Nurse do the narration, idk who the other broadcasters even were. Why not interview Keith Tkachuk and ask them how much it meant to see his kids play in the NHL and tell the family story.

What a f***ing waste of potential this was. Seemed like the editors/producers really had no clue about hockey and how to present it.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Boy these Buffalo Sabres look a lot like....the Buffalo Sabres of the past few years. Just zero intensity, zero attention to defensive play, constantly gifting Grade A chances and odd man rushes.

They are reminding me of the Ottawa Senators team that has a ton of individuals locked up to long term deals, but aren't really a cohesive team.

They need their Rutherford/Allvin/Tocchet culture change moment in the worst way. Thought that the Savoie for McLeod move, Malenstyn acquisition were steps in the right direction, but the top half of the roster still doesn't know how to play defence.
Don't disagree but I have much more faith in Ruff eventually turning it around than Green & baumgartner doing anything but losing and looking bad in the process.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
What do you even do if you are Buffalo? You get rid of Eichel and Skinner thinking they are issues and the team still looks like shit. You decent guys locked up in Cozens and Dahlin...but another rebuild would waste their prime years and chase away fans.
They are the perfect example of throwing a bunch of kids into the fire.

Especially at center and D, they are so inexperienced in that area

Anyone else pretty dissapointed by the Amazon series? I thought the only good episodes where the last two episodes with McDavid and Tkachuk.

It felt like Drive to Surive lite lite lite edition. If I were a new viewer that has never really watched hockey before I would have no idea what was going on or what the hell the narratives were. Also, no offense, Hughes/Trouba/Nylander/Pastrnak/Landeskog have the personalities of a drywall.

They should of focused on guys with personalities like Marchand seems like such an obvious choice as a villian to follow around. It never felt like we spent enough time with a player to really know what their personalities are. They even poorly explained Tkachuk vs Oilers rivarly.

Why are you focusing on Landeskog who hasn't even played a f***ing game since 2022.

f*** now that I think more on it. Who the f*** were the "broadcasters" they even chose. Who the f*** is Blackburn whatever the f***. Just have Biz and Nurse do the narration, idk who the other broadcasters even were. Why not interview Keith Tkachuk and ask them how much it meant to see his kids play in the NHL and tell the family story.

What a f***ing waste of potential this was. Seemed like the editors/producers really had no clue about hockey and how to present it.
Yeah cause the producer is British and openly admitted he has no clue of hockey

It’s a start though

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

To no surprise, the NHL markets itself like a chocolate covered onion.

Reactions: I am toxic and WTG

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They are the perfect example of throwing a bunch of kids into the fire.

Especially at center and D, they are so inexperienced in that area

Yeah cause the producer is British and openly admitted he has no clue of hockey

It’s a start though
That happens when you sell everything off. Why would good vets want to then sign with you 3 years into your rebuild? Especially those with options? Unless it’s insane money.

Being able to integrate young talent with good solid veterans is the challenging part.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

They would do better following around guys like Bieksa and Kesler. Have the Sedins appears as foils. Seriously some of the best hollywood talent would come out of Vancouver. If you ever want to spend the evening rolling on the floor with no ass, spend an evening with some of the alumni from the 2011 era

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Jack Campbell enters player assistance program, I wonder what that's all about.

Would that take his contract off the books?

I hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if last year really took a toil on him mentally, thus leading to substance abuse. From what I recall when he was in Toronto is he's a great guy but an emotional one; gets inside his own head a lot. With how badly things went in Edmonton, yeah...

Really hope he gets whatever help he needs and finds a nice place to land. Definitely think a quieter team would do him wonders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad