Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm old enough to remember him as a player as well. And you're correct that he started off as a lazy skill guy who leeched points off of playing with Palffy (an all time favorite of mine). But when that stopped working, you will also recall, he reinvented himself as a defensive center which takes humility and hockey sense to do.

His stint in Utica we went from being hapless in the minors to going to the finals. What was he given to work with? We were a team with horrendous depth and (after 2020) a broken culture from way above.
His stint in New Jersey with some of the worst goaltending and all of their D injured doesn't tell me anything.

I'm not saying he's the best coach in the league. But he's a sharp guy and I think he's a decent coach who will probably improve as he continues to wet his feet.

Green was part of the cancerous Darcy Tucker/Shayne Corson clique in Toronto and was hardly considered any sort of character player during his career.

To me he was in the same kind of group of player as guys like Corson and Chris Gratton - players who because they were Canadian and facewashed guys in scrums got away with lazy play that any European would have been crucified for.

Reactions: AwesomeInTheory

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Green was part of the cancerous Darcy Tucker/Shayne Corson clique in Toronto and was hardly considered any sort of character player during his career.

To me he was in the same kind of group of player as guys like Corson and Chris Gratton - players who because they were Canadian and facewashed guys in scrums got away with lazy play that any European would have been crucified for.
I know he was part of that clique, whatever that means since we don't know the team from that era. All we know is that they were ostracized.
Not sure if it was at precisely the same time, but Corson did something terrible to betray a teammate around that time.

It may be that Green stuck by him, which helped lead to a fractured dressing room.

But I'm also willing to believe that over 20 year span a guy can mature in that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad