Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
IMG_2936.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I don't get too worked up about the fortunes of other teams but I was really looking forward to Montreal's season. I hope Laine's knee isn't badly injured.

As far as intent goes, it's a way more complicated thing than arguments on the internet about it can take into consideration. Players use their legs to impede each other all the time without causing injury and they don't have time to determine whether a certain instance of doing it presents more risk. A lot of supposedly clean players have done exactly what Pare did. On the other hand, it's a still a choice on his part. The solution is probably to send death threats to his family on Twitter and Instagram.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Absolutely no intent I mean if you watch it in slow motion he just turns to try and get him up high with his arms his leg goes with them it's pure reactionary
I think he knew where his leg was. But when you do it over and over again throughout your career and there's almost always just glancing contact, you're going to assume that will happen again.

People seem to expect players to constantly consider these things, but the reality is that no player committed to thinking that way would be able to make a pro roster.

Reactions: wetcoast

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

Not sure if I’m surprised by this or not.

Xhekaj’s punch from behind didn’t really connect—so I guess it gets just a shrug from the league. But if he did hit him, it would have been a very similar blindside attack as the suckerpunch that Bertuzzi landed on Steve Moore. It’s only because he missed Paré that they both flailed to the ice.

Wish the league would’ve drawn more of a line in the sand that any suckerpunch or blindside punch is not acceptable. Regardless of whether there was a serious outcome or not. By being soft on this vigilante justice they will only encourage it to happen more often.

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
It's such a gross look. If I wanted to see someone attack an unwilling combatant from behind and land several punches while he's down and vulnerable, I'd watch street fights on Twitter. That it doesn't even merit a suspension in this league is insane. Can't wait for the next broken neck, and all the somber commentary that follows.

Last edited:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I think he knew where his leg was. But when you do it over and over again throughout your career and there's almost always just glancing contact, you're going to assume that will happen again.

People seem to expect players to constantly consider these things, but the reality is that no player committed to thinking that way would be able to make a pro roster.
As a kid playing against NHL players in that moment probably not, the only thing he's thinking about is holy shit he's coming at me fast I got to do something and instinctively extends his arms

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

Not sure if I’m surprised by this or not.

Xhekaj’s punch from behind didn’t really connect—so I guess it gets just a shrug from the league. But if he did hit him, it would have been a very similar blindside attack as the suckerpunch that Bertuzzi landed on Steve Moore. It’s only because he missed Paré that they both flailed to the ice.

Wish the league would’ve drawn more of a line in the sand that any suckerpunch or blindside punch is not acceptable. Regardless of whether there was a serious outcome or not. By being soft on this vigilante justice they will only encourage it to happen more often.
I think your last sentence is the key. The league sells a violence game with violent acts and it sells. It is in their financial interest to "encourage it to happen more often."

Some years ago in a lawsuit against the league an email chain between NHL executives became public in which NHL VP (in charge of player safety) Colin Campbell stated "We sell hate."

The purpose of the DOPS is ostensibly to protect the players, but I infer from it being soft on vigilante justice, being inconsistent and generally only meting out really serious penalties when actual damage takes place regardless of intent that protecting the players isn't really the main purpose. In my view they have the the DOPS and penalize when there is serious damage primarily to provide a defence to lawsuits and criticism, allowing the league to say it has rules against violence and a system in place to punish violent offenders while designing that system in such a way as to ineffective, leaving violence in the game well beyond what the rules permit and ensuring enough crap takes place that teams really don't like each other.

The concern seems to be that seriously reducing the violence would reduce the number of viewers paying for tickets, buying merchandise and watching or listening on tv and other media.

Reactions: StickShift

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
It was a brutal hit but Laine deserves some responsibility for skating pretty casually, making himself as big of a target as possible and lacking awareness in preparing to be hit. It's happened to him before, particularly his concussion in his rookie year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A grim reminder watching Doughty and Laine go down that a hockey career can change in the blink of an eye. It really is a crap-shoot out there at times.

But just seems that some players have a sixth sense about avoiding injury out on the ice, and play for years with just the odd nick. But for some guys, sooner or later, the Hockey Gods will have their way.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It's such a gross look. If I wanted to see someone attack an unwilling combatant from behind and land several punches while he's down and vulnerable, I'd watch street fights on Twitter. That it doesn't even merit a suspension in this league is insane. Can't wait for the next broken neck, and all the somber commentary that follows.

i think it makes perfect sense if you understand what you are looking at.

nhl discipline is, for the most part, prison rules made up by the inmates with limited input from the warden for the purposes of optics to outsiders. it is full of apparent logical and moral inconsistencies, especially when you are dealing with a dangerous play within the spirit of the game where no one was actually hurt. the fundamental underlying rationale is that hockey allows a lot of violence and the refs cannot catch and regulate all of it and so adjustments are made to the hockey code of conduct compared to those that prevail in a civil society. those adjustments are calibrated to allow the players to regulate the amount of violence that prevails themselves. then there is a further overlay of pretence over the top of that for the benefit of the civil society that cannot abide the truth of how violent sports are regulated.

so fighting is permissible with the game subject to an "optics tax" of an in game penalty paying lip service to the rules of a civil society. fighting is considered a necessary part of the game as a safety valve for when players exceed the amount of violence players find acceptable. it's not logical or consistent because some teams will have fighters who are so feared that their team is not held accountable, but it is close enough to generally manage the ticky tack violence that would otherwise emerge from all the slashes and butt ends and slew foots and other foul play that inevitably occur in a hockey game.

xhekaj was seeking retribution for an injury to a top player that could reasonably have been seen as dirty on the ice. such things are part of the code. according to the code if you injure a player you can expect retribution during the game according to the judgment of the opposing players as to whether it was a dirty or excessive hit. if it is a star player, the permissibility of retribution increases and the leeway given to the player who made the hit decreases down to zero. even a clean hit on a star player that causes injury authorizes retribution.

ergo, xhejak is a sympathetic case mostly acting within the rules and code. he is allowed to initiate a fight according to the rules so long as he pays for it with a short penalty. as an enforcer he is expected to initiate a fight in that situation according to the code. his only crime was proceeding with the fight when pare turned him down, (which was a violation of the code by pare). that is understandable given the fact this is training camp and he is a fringe player expected to play his role enthusiastically. thus him going bertuzzi is wrong, but subject to multiple mitigating factors.

those mitigating factors include pare's response. as noted, according to code logic the incident escalated because pare refused to fight, which makes him unsympathetic according to the code. the code says you must stand and fight if the jury of the other team finds you guilty of injuring a player by dirty play unless it is a physical mismatch or the game is on the line. pare is 6' 4", ergo he was not entitled to turn down the challenge. it was an exhibition game so no game on the line exception was availale. according to the bobby clarke scale, pare was therefore a gutless puke and deserved what he got.

further, by the logic of the code, pare not fighting is also dangerous. without fighting as a cathartic release of emotion and the thirst for revenge, every player on a team that felt wronged would be seeking retribution on every other player by way of ticky tack plays. other star players would be at risk.

so in this situation the response calls for a denunciation of pare as much as punishment of xhejak for pulling a bertuzzi. accordingly, a nominal fine was issued to go easy on xhejak and make clear that pare also transgressed.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

nhl discipline is, for the most part, prison rules made up by the inmates with limited input from the warden for the purposes of optics to outsiders. it is full of apparent logical and moral inconsistencies, especially when you are dealing with a dangerous play within the spirit of the game where no one was actually hurt. the fundamental underlying rationale is that hockey allows a lot of violence and the refs cannot catch and regulate all of it and so adjustments are made to the hockey code of conduct compared to those that prevail in a civil society. those adjustments are calibrated to allow the players to regulate the amount of violence that prevails themselves. then there is a further overlay of pretence over the top of that for the benefit of the civil society that cannot abide the truth of how violent sports are regulated.

so fighting is permissible with the game subject to an "optics tax" of an in game penalty paying lip service to the rules of a civil society. fighting is considered a necessary part of the game as a safety valve for when players exceed the amount of violence players find acceptable. it's not logical or consistent because some teams will have fighters who are so feared that their team is not held accountable, but it is close enough to generally manage the ticky tack violence that would otherwise emerge from all the slashes and butt ends and slew foots and other foul play that inevitably occur in a hockey game.

xhekaj was seeking retribution for an injury to a top player that could reasonably have been seen as dirty on the ice. such things are part of the code. according to the code if you injure a player you can expect retribution during the game according to the judgment of the opposing players as to whether it was a dirty or excessive hit. if it is a star player, the permissibility of retribution increases and the leeway given to the player who made the hit decreases down to zero. even a clean hit on a star player that causes injury authorizes retribution.

ergo, xhejak is a sympathetic case mostly acting within the rules and code. he is allowed to initiate a fight according to the rules so long as he pays for it with a short penalty. as an enforcer he is expected to initiate a fight in that situation according to the code. his only crime was proceeding with the fight when pare turned him down, (which was a violation of the code by pare). that is understandable given the fact this is training camp and he is a fringe player expected to play his role enthusiastically. thus him going bertuzzi is wrong, but subject to multiple mitigating factors.

those mitigating factors include pare's response. as noted, according to code logic the incident escalated because pare refused to fight, which makes him unsympathetic according to the code. the code says you must stand and fight if the jury of the other team finds you guilty of injuring a player by dirty play unless it is a physical mismatch or the game is on the line. pare is 6' 4", ergo he was not entitled to turn down the challenge. it was an exhibition game so no game on the line exception was availale. according to the bobby clarke scale, pare was therefore a gutless puke and deserved what he got.

further, by the logic of the code, pare not fighting is also dangerous. without fighting as a cathartic release of emotion and the thirst for revenge, every player on a team that felt wronged would be seeking retribution on every other player by way of ticky tack plays. other star players would be at risk.

so in this situation the response calls for a denunciation of pare as much as punishment of xhejak for pulling a bertuzzi. accordingly, a nominal fine was issued to go easy on xhejak and make clear that pare also transgressed.
It's clear that you are fluent in DonCherrinese.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

so what you are saying is

bettman
1727718326696.png

campbell
1727718393412.jpeg
?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad