Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The other sports you can find parks to do that quietly with your kids (or if wealthy, have you big backyard to do it) and not draw attention to yourself.

Hockey players would have to go to their local rink and would draw attention.

That's a fair point but how much is it to book the local rink for a couple of hours?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's a fair point but how much is it to book the local rink for a couple of hours?
I think hockey players are pretty humble down to earth people, so the notion of booking an entire rink for 60-90 minutes probably not appealing to them. When it's just for a few people. If it's for their kid's birthday or something and there's a dozen kids with parents, maybe they'd do that.

Most people, for kid's birthdays have booked the gym for an hour to play floor hockey, basketball, etc. which is fine. That's a common occurrence.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think hockey players are pretty humble down to earth people, so the notion of booking an entire rink for 60-90 minutes probably not appealing to them. When it's just for a few people. If it's for their kid's birthday or something and there's a dozen kids with parents, maybe they'd do that.

Most people, for kid's birthdays have booked the gym for an hour to play floor hockey, basketball, etc. which is fine. That's a common occurrence.

I don't see this as arrogance. We're talking about local ice rinks that anyone can book and people do book for training purposes.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Delay of Game:
-coaches may now challenge the puck over the glass
-only for rescinding a penalty
-can not be applied to a judgement call
-applies to the puck hitting a stick, glass, or boards

Displaced Net:
-can no longer change lines when goalie accidentally dislodges the net
-treated the same as icing

Face-Off Procedure:
-offensive center will now receive one warning for a face-off violation

Sitting on Boards:
-players may no longer sit on the bench with their feet dangling over the edge
-will get one warning per game
-a 2nd warning will result in a penalty

Replacement Goalie Warm-Ups:
-a goalie replacing an injured one is now given some warm-up shots

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Still think it should be the Utah Soakers....
I can't un-hear "Utah City Soakers"

Delay of Game:
-coaches may now challenge the puck over the glass
-only for rescinding a penalty
-can not be applied to a judgement call
-applies to the puck hitting a stick, glass, or boards

Displaced Net:
-can no longer change lines when goalie accidentally dislodges the net
-treated the same as icing

Face-Off Procedure:
-offensive center will now receive one warning for a face-off violation

Sitting on Boards:
-players may no longer sit on the bench with their feet dangling over the edge
-will get one warning per game
-a 2nd warning will result in a penalty

Replacement Goalie Warm-Ups:
-a goalie replacing an injured one is now given some warm-up shots

players may no longer sit on the bench with their feet dangling over the edge

Wut?

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
An official got cut by a skate in the last year or two because of this and so it was implemented
I was joking around with the typo. It's written as "sitting on the bench" rather than "sitting on the boards". Was picturing how high a bench would be to have the players feet dangling over the edge.

But thanks just the same!

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Did anyone else grow up swimming competitively as a kid/teenager and then get burnt out from all the practices/training/swim meets and just avoid pools/water completely for their whole adult life? Or am I just weird like that :dunno:

Hear the same thing about some NHL players not putting skates on ever again after retirement and I totally get it
Went to a Canucks promo thing about 10 years ago. 25 - 30 season tickets holder, 10 or so staff. Me and my friend who buys my tickets went, and we sat with Trevor Linden through lunch. He and my friend had a great talk, they are both seriously into riding, and and had both toured Europe with a 4 -5 friends doing parts of the French and Italian routes the pros ride. (Tour de France)

Anyhow, Linden had said that he hadn't put on skates since he retired.

Edit - And shouldn't the Utah name be the Utah book of Mormons, or are they worried about Southpark suing them? Or being called the book of Morons? (I think all religions are pretty lame, but Scientologists and Mormons are kind of in a league of their own.)

Re edit - I got a cease and desist letter from Scientology about a TV show I did nearly 40 years ago, so I am a tad testy on the subject.

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Outlaws was the play but Yeti is alright. A little tacky with Kraken being the last new team. Resorting to mythical creatures is lazy

yeti is a fine name, but it strongly suggests they're keeping the boring black, white, powder blue colour scheme (also similar to seattle) and that's the real loss here

outlaws would've been cool cause they could use brown, orange, yellow/beige, cactus green, etc. as the palette - all of which are wildly underrepresented colors

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looking around the league, there's a shocking number of front-line guys who won't be ready for the start of training camp after off-season surgery. Fortunately the start of the regular season is still three weeks away.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I usually fall pretty neutral on the Vegas shenanigans but there’s nothing to this and I’m 100% with Vegas. Guy has one job - show up. He didn’t. It’s that simple. Void it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad