Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
*Woman tragically killed after being struck by rotor blades from helicopter while waiting for transit. This is the 53rd incident involving public helicopters this year *
Sacrifices must be made for efficiency.

I got it and thought it was perfect timing.
I assumed it was a joke at first, but considering his other takes, it was pretty in line with his actual opinion.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
this around the transit league thread rules

left field hot take: vancouver needs better micromobility options to truly be elite. i barely drive between may-october. don't own a bike, but live on a bike lane. how? e-scooters and e-bikes. a lime pass is $11.99 for three days worth of back and forth trips. it wouldn't help in the 'burbs, but it makes network connections that much easier. this is the only mobility thing albertan cities have done well and it would be cool to see it expanded everywhere.
I was just in Seattle and I gotta say, the on-demand Uber Lime (or whatever company) e-scooters are the way. Pop in the bike lane, go to a close by destination (or train station) and just leave the thing there.

I think e-bikes are a huge component of the future of urban transportation, and many of my friends own the big kid-hauling ones. If I had a 5-10km commute and didn't want a car for a bunch of other reasons I might get one. On the other hand ... as I get older in a relatively sedentary job, there will never be a time I wouldn't rather just exercise for half an hour if I'm going to be on a bike anyway.

On a related note I don't understand how all the public e-bike infrastructure works. In a few specific locations in Port Moody I see e-scooters just scattered on the side of the road every day. Maybe there's a specific workplace nearby with a lot of employees that use them. Does someone come pick them up and take them back to a charging station? If I left one at the top of Mt Seymour and someone would come along and get it?
Apparently for the e-bike and e-scooter companies, there are essentially two charging models: The company might drive a van and around, scoop them up, and take them to a charging center, and then distribute them back out later. Or I've heard...individual people just take them home, charge them at home, and get paid to charge them.

Why is this thread about transportation? This thread has lost the plot yall.
This is the way.

Reactions: vancityluongo

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Why is this thread about transportation? This thread has lost the plot yall.
Public trans sucks in North America period, only NYC is any good and that comes with rats and crazy people.

NA mentality just doesn’t lend itself to good public works. EU and Asian people believe government serves people while Canadian and American believes liberty bla bla bla

Reactions: jd22 and Peen

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Public trans sucks in North America period, only NYC is any good and that comes with rats and crazy people.

NA mentality just doesn’t lend itself to good public works. EU and Asian people believe government serves people while Canadian and American believes liberty bla bla bla

Cool, NA transportation sucks.
Next up, why people in Alberta drive trucks? Cause mah freedom Billy Joe!

I guess you can say, it's gone off the rails and it's time it got back on track!

Good, there’s a board to complain about that somewhere else.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Well in Asia public transportation is privatized in many many places rather than run by incompetent people who keeps finding ways to get money from taxpayers.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Well in Asia public transportation is privatized in many many places rather than run by incompetent people who keeps finding ways to get money from taxpayers.
Just did a quick google search, MTR(HK) is mostly government owned even though it's listed. JR is private and public depending where. MRT(singapore) is also private/public depending on where. China is of course public, Seoul metro is public as well.

But I think all of them are profitable because the population density is high enough to have enough passengers to use it. Once again, NA mindset is to spread out (thank you car companies) where Asia has always been, everybody lets move to the big city.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Just did a quick google search, MTR(HK) is mostly government owned even though it's listed. JR is private and public depending where. MRT(singapore) is also private/public depending on where. China is of course public, Seoul metro is public as well.

But I think all of them are profitable because the population density is high enough to have enough passengers to use it. Once again, NA mindset is to spread out (thank you car companies) where Asia has always been, everybody lets move to the big city.

NA mindset is also to vote down infrastructure funding and then complain about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, and then the heat death of the universe occurs.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think we could have safer streets if we enforced traffic laws more harshly and stopped seeing driving as anything but a privilege, but that's even more of a pipe dream than getting proper bike paths so...

I don’t disagree that we need to do a better job of policing the bad drivers we already have in our city however somebody who has baked and cycle a long time all trips from Golden to Vernon in a week. I also think that we’re at the point where you need a license to ride a bicycle in the street.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
just realized that, in addition to the oilers letting desharnais go because they believed in broberg, they also likely traded mcleod because of holloway's emergence... and now all 4 players are gone. lmao

I really like how the Oilers went from having won the off-season with their signings to an immediate "wait...is their forward depth too old and slow? Their defense looks like that?!".

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jesus Christ, how far to I have to scroll to find an actual hockey post here?

Okay, here's one... do any of our prospects end up playing any significant number of games this year?
Following the latest machinations on public transit, masquerading as 'hockey talk' you have to concede the inevitable. The hockey off-season is interminable. I'm actually amazed that HF Boards is even as good as it is at keeping discussion on hockey alive for so long....but there's only so much posters can do when the off-season is almost six months long.

Let's face it. For 16 NHL teams, their season ends in the first week of April. And they don't play another meaningful game until October. The NHL off-season gasps into life for a week in late June with the draft and free agency. Then goes into another two month hibernation until training camps in September.

So I have to tip my cap to the many HF posters and media hockey talking heads like Rick Dhaliwal, Frank Seravalli and Elliot Freidmann, who at least try to uncover relevant things to talk about. But it can be tough at times.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I think we could have safer streets if we enforced traffic laws more harshly and stopped seeing driving as anything but a privilege, but that's even more of a pipe dream than getting proper bike paths so...
Oh you mean like actually punishing drunk driving mobile device usage and speeding approrpiately?
I don’t disagree that we need to do a better job of policing the bad drivers we already have in our city however somebody who has baked and cycle a long time all trips from Golden to Vernon in a week. I also think that we’re at the point where you need a license to ride a bicycle in the street.
So much f***en yes.. they can even have little plates in ratio to their device

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
NA mindset is also to vote down infrastructure funding and then complain about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, then deciding to believe that this is because government is inherently bad an incompetent, which leads to voting down infrastructure funding and then complaining about how infrastructure has somehow inexplicably not been expanded to meet their desires, and then the heat death of the universe occurs.
Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 4.38.38 PM.png

well, asian countires applies like 100%+ tax on cars, that helps reduce car ownership. I am not sure that will help the economy

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 4.38.09 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 4.38.09 PM.png
    334.1 KB · Views: 1

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
just realized that, in addition to the oilers letting desharnais go because they believed in broberg, they also likely traded mcleod because of holloway's emergence... and now all 4 players are gone. lmao
Podkolzin could be a solid Holloway replacement. Pretty much identical players even in regards to previous draft position.

But yeah having Nurse, Stecher, Brown, Kulak, and Emberson making up majority of your d core is not good at all for a “cup or bust” team. and it’s not like they have the cap space to go and get significant help either. Nor the pieces.

Nothing would make me happier seeing their past-their-expiry-date depth take a massive cowabunga off the face of the earth.

Reactions: cc

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Podkolzin could be a solid Holloway replacement. Pretty much identical players even in regards to previous draft position.

But yeah having Nurse, Stecher, Brown, Kulak, and Emberson making up majority of your d core is not good at all for a “cup or bust” team. and it’s not like they have the cap space to go and get significant help either. Nor the pieces.

Nothing would make me happier seeing their past-their-expiry-date depth take a massive cowabunga off the face of the earth.
i want podz to do well but i wasn't impressed with his call-up last season whatsoever... holloway is a far smarter player.

i still like stecher and kulak, so i don't think the defense is that horrendous. but one ekholm injury (i can't believe he's 34 already, feel like i've watched his entire career) and it looks pretty dire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad